Old November 23rd 09, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Maryland with an Oyster travelcard?

Greetings.

Is it permitted to travel between Liverpool Street and Maryland with a Zone
1–3 Oyster travelcard? There's no Oyster card reader to touch in or out at
Maryland, though I've made the journey both ways several times without
apparent incident. That is, going from Maryland to Liverpool Street, the
exit gates have always opened upon swiping my card, and going either way,
I've never had any money deducted from my PAYG balance.

If I were to encounter a ticket inspector at Maryland, would I be in
trouble for not possessing a valid ticket?

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller Space is limited

Old November 23rd 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 23, 12:33 pm, Tristan Miller
wrote:
Is it permitted to travel between Liverpool Street and Maryland with a Zone
1–3 Oyster travelcard? There's no Oyster card reader to touch in or out at
Maryland, though I've made the journey both ways several times without
apparent incident. That is, going from Maryland to Liverpool Street, the
exit gates have always opened upon swiping my card, and going either way,
I've never had any money deducted from my PAYG balance.

Yes. Maryland is in zone 3. Liverpool Street is in zone 1. You have
a zones 1-3 travelcard. There is no problem.

--
Abi
Old November 23rd 09, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

..

And if I meet a ticket inspector on the train to Liverpool Street, they're
just going to take my word that I boarded at Maryland rather than, say,
Shenfield (or some other Zone 3 station without barriers)? *That seems
rather open to abuse.

No different than any other tyoe if ticket, Unless you are suggesting
that the ticket inspector should start interrogating every passenger
to prove where they started their journey from !!
Old November 23rd 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 23, 1:27 pm, Tristan Miller
wrote:
And if I meet a ticket inspector on the train to Liverpool Street, they're
just going to take my word that I boarded at Maryland rather than, say,
Shenfield (or some other Zone 3 station without barriers)? That seems
rather open to abuse.

It's not a question of "take your word for it". You have a valid
ticket for where the ticket inspector found you. If you had a paper
ticket from Maryland to Liverpool Street, wouldn't the same question
arise?

--
Abi

Old November 23rd 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

And if I meet a ticket inspector on the train to Liverpool Street, they're
just going to take my word that I boarded at Maryland rather than, say,
Shenfield (or some other Zone 3 station without barriers)? *That seems
rather open to abuse.

It's not a question of "take your word for it". *You have a valid
ticket for where the ticket inspector found you. *If you had a paper
ticket from Maryland to Liverpool Street, wouldn't the same question
arise?

He does have a point though. Although with paper tickets, as you
imply, there has always been an assumption of innocence, with Oyster
PAYG an assumption of guilt has been built in from the start.

It didn't affect travelcards till now, although the dreaded OEP is
about to kick in (eg if he intended to extend to Ilford on PAYG having
touched in at Liverpool Street).
Old November 23rd 09, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

And if I meet a ticket inspector on the train to Liverpool Street, they're
just going to take my word that I boarded at Maryland rather than, say,
Shenfield (or some other Zone 3 station without barriers)? *That seems
rather open to abuse.

It's not a question of "take your word for it". *You have a valid
ticket for where the ticket inspector found you. *If you had a paper
ticket from Maryland to Liverpool Street, wouldn't the same question
arise?

He does have a point though. *Although with paper tickets, as you
imply, there has always been an assumption of innocence, with Oyster
PAYG an assumption of guilt has been built in from the start.

It didn't affect travelcards till now, although the dreaded OEP is
about to kick in (eg if he intended to extend to Ilford on PAYG having
touched in at Liverpool Street).

Yes but with the exemple given he is not using PAYG. He has a
travelcard which happens to be on an Oyster card. Exactly the same as
a paper travel card.

And is this OEP really going to happen. Cant see any mention in any
of the recent publicity.
Old November 23rd 09, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tristan
Miller writes

Is it permitted to travel between Liverpool Street and Maryland with a Zone
1–3 Oyster travelcard? There's no Oyster card reader to touch in or out at
Maryland, though I've made the journey both ways several times without
apparent incident. That is, going from Maryland to Liverpool Street, the
exit gates have always opened upon swiping my card, and going either way,
I've never had any money deducted from my PAYG balance.

You can use an Oyster Travelcard on that route, but not PAYG (not until
2nd January, that is).

--
Paul Terry
Old November 23rd 09, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tristan
Miller writes

I suppose. I just found it strange that the station lacks an Oyster card
reader, when every other station I've been to in Zones 1–3 has one.

Until recently the only stations that have readers are the ones where
PAYG can be used.

That is obviously changing with the imminent introduction of PAYG on
almost all of National Rail in the London area.
--
Paul Terry