Old January 17th 10, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How do you spell Haringey?

In article ,
(Ian Bidwell) wrote:

"Ian Bidwell" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message news
The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but
the railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly)
Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown
by the way they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for
whittlesey, Fulbourne for Fulbourn

Never rely on railway spelling

Dam spill chucker Whittlesea for Whittlesey

Whittlesea was how the place was spelt when the railway came. Manea still
uses the same ending.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 17th 10, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
In article ,
(Brian
Robertson) wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a
London Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay

When I were a lad Harringay was a dog stadium.

Even worse.

When I were a lad I went to see Billy Graham there .... later watched
dogs there, always made a profit and got my entrance fee back plus a
little bit.
Old January 18th 10, 12:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:27:41 +0000, Mark Goodge
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:17:18 -0000, Ian Bidwell put finger to keyboard
and typed:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
news
The local council uses Haringey - http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay.

Railways are well known for having their own dictionary as shown by the way
they spell station names- e.g. Whittle sea for whittlesey, Fulbourne for
Fulbourn

In many cases, though, that's due to the fact that when the railways
were built (and the stations were named) there wasn't a single
accepted spelling of many place names.

In other cases there was an established spelling but as applies in
this someone came along later and recorded/copied it incorrectly.
Rum/Rhum
Hannover/Hanover
Hazelton/Hazleton (Pennsylvania - allegedly misspelled in the
incorporation documents in 1857 and "it's too late to change it now")

Old January 18th 10, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim Brittin" [wake up to reply] wrote in
message m...
In article ,
says...
In article ,
(Brian
Robertson) wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey -
http://www.haringey.gov.uk/ but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly)
Haringay.

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a
London Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay

When I were a lad Harringay was a dog stadium.

Even worse.

When I were a lad I went to see Billy Graham there .... later watched
dogs there, always made a profit and got my entrance fee back plus a
little bit.

You sinner! Obviously Billy didn't get through. You'll have to repent of
your vice.

DW downunder

Old January 18th 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 17, 2:55*pm, wrote:
In article , (Brian

Robertson) wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
The local council uses Haringey -http://www.haringey.gov.uk/but the
railways use Harringay and I've just used (probably wrongly) Haringay..

You spell Haringey......errrrrrm, Haringey.

And you spell Harringay, Harringay.

Harringay is a residential area of North London and Haringey is a
London Borough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harringay

When I were a lad Harringay was a dog stadium.

According to a note at the very end of this page, in the 1930s they
tried to race cheetahs the
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bconlon/glias.htm

As for spelling, the council and the railways are both right; plenty
of local businesses seem to get it wrong - eg 'Haringay' and
'Harringey'

Old January 19th 10, 07:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Charles Ellson wrote:

In other cases there was an established spelling but as applies in
this someone came along later and recorded/copied it incorrectly.
Rum/Rhum
Hannover/Hanover
Hazelton/Hazleton (Pennsylvania - allegedly misspelled in the
incorporation documents in 1857 and "it's too late to change it now")

Surely Hannover/Hanover is not a misspelling, but simply the English
version - cf Wien/Vienna and countless others. Admittedly nowadays in
many cases the "native" version is normally used - Brits used to refer
to Coblence, Mayence, Brunswick, Frankfort and the like.

Peter Beale
Old January 19th 10, 11:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Beale wrote:

Surely Hannover/Hanover is not a misspelling, but simply the English
version - cf Wien/Vienna and countless others. Admittedly nowadays in
many cases the "native" version is normally used - Brits used to refer
to Coblence, Mayence, Brunswick, Frankfort and the like.

Also, the German spelling of place names has changed over the years: for
instance 19th century signs often use C instead of K. I saw an old sign
referring to Cöln (not Köln) recently, and Coblenz was the usual German
spelling of Koblenz until the 1920s.

And in most cases the soft C in German has changed to Z: now "Zentrum",
formerly "Centrum".

Well-known cities often have different placenames in different
languages: Venezia-Venedig-Venise-Venecia-Veneza-Venetië-Venice for
instance.

And of course there are even alternative language placenames within the
UK (Abertawe-Swansea, Wrecsam-Wrexham, Manchester-Manceinion etc)...
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at
Old January 19th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:28:54 +0000
Jeremy Double wrote:
Well-known cities often have different placenames in different
languages: Venezia-Venedig-Venise-Venecia-Veneza-Venetië-Venice for
instance.

Tell that to the BBC who seem to insist on calling Bombay Mumbai. Why don't
they just go the whole hog and start talking about Pareee or Moskva or Roma
in that case then?

B2003

Old January 19th 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Jeremy Double wrote:

[snip]

And of course there are even alternative language placenames within the
UK (Abertawe-Swansea, Wrecsam-Wrexham, Manchester-Manceinion etc)...

Berwick-Newcastle-Middlesbrough

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old January 19th 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:59:18 +0000, Peter Beale
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:

In other cases there was an established spelling but as applies in
this someone came along later and recorded/copied it incorrectly.
Rum/Rhum
Hannover/Hanover
Hazelton/Hazleton (Pennsylvania - allegedly misspelled in the
incorporation documents in 1857 and "it's too late to change it now")

Surely Hannover/Hanover is not a misspelling, but simply the English
version - cf Wien/Vienna and countless others.

IOW a stranger getting it wrong.

Admittedly nowadays in
many cases the "native" version is normally used - Brits used to refer
to Coblence, Mayence, Brunswick, Frankfort and the like.

With increased foreign travel or transport of goods it decreases the
chance of confusion caused by several versions of the same placename
cropping up from different directions. In some cases the reversion to
original is almost total; apart from Stornoway and the island names my
road atlas only has Gaelic placenames in Lewis/Harris.