Old February 24th 10, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR 3 car trains

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:21:08 -0800, MIG wrote:

I've seen two this morning, both new kind, both destination Lewisham.
one on the upnunder and one at Shadwell.

All the 3 car trains are going to be "new ones", I believe? (prepared to
be told otherwise, of course....!)
Old February 24th 10, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Martin Petrov
writes

I've seen two this morning, both new kind, both destination Lewisham.
one on the upnunder and one at Shadwell.

All the 3 car trains are going to be "new ones", I believe? (prepared to
be told otherwise, of course....!)

The older types are quite capable too, although it may be a policy
decision to use new ones to make a point.

In any event, it's not possible to mix old and new cars in a formation.
Old February 25th 10, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , Martin Petrov
writes

I've seen two this morning, both new kind, both destination Lewisham.
one on the upnunder and one at Shadwell.

All the 3 car trains are going to be "new ones", I believe? (prepared to
be told otherwise, of course....!)

The older types are quite capable too, although it may be a policy
decision to use new ones to make a point.

In any event, it's not possible to mix old and new cars in a formation.

And now I've been on one (do I win something?).

I noticed extra crew on board. don't know how long that will last.
Also, announcement before Cutty Sark.

No obvious problems except internal displays not working.
Old February 25th 10, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Saw a new 3 car train at Greenwich about 2330 last night but did see
one formed of the old stock when they were doing passenger-less test
operations a couple of months ago.

I'm glad they've gone for variable stopping points at places like
Mudchute northbound where there's only an entrance to the platform at
the southern end.

Anybody witnessed any panicky barging through the carriage at Cutty
Sark yet?
Old February 25th 10, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 Feb, 09:59, Mudchute wrote:
Saw a new 3 car train at Greenwich about 2330 last night but did see
one formed of the old stock when they were doing passenger-less test
operations a couple of months ago.

I'm glad they've gone for variable stopping points at places like
Mudchute northbound where there's only an entrance to the platform at
the southern end.

Anybody witnessed any panicky barging through the carriage at Cutty
Sark yet?

No. As I was saying, announcement beforehand and extra staff on board
in case.

I got another one this evening; pretty sure it was a different unit
and again the internal displays not working.

This may be some kind of issue.

Old February 26th 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
11:13:46 on Thu, 25 Feb 2010, MIG
remarked:
I got another one this evening; pretty sure it was a different unit
and again the internal displays not working.

I went to South Quay (and back) today. A few observations:

At Bank there was a handwritten sign saying something like "use the
whole length of the platform". Which is fine, but when a 2-car train
arrives, what use am I supposed to be putting the remaining 1/3 to?

On the way out saw no new trains.

The old one I was on, lurched a lot. For example, we crawled towards
Heron Quays and as the front of the train reached the platform it
accelerated quite hard, then immediately started braking. Throughout, it
seemed to be regularly hitting some kind of 'speed limiter',
accelerating then suddenly cutting power.

When I got to South Quay I went downstairs at the west end of the
station and turned east (towards the water). Touched out, then found
myself in a dead end. Had to go back some way, then climb over a large
"kerbside" to get onto the road.

On the way back caught a new 3-car train. Saw several other new trains,
all 2-car. When going down the tunnels to Bank station, once again there
was quite a bit of "hunting" in the drive system. Appeared not to be
able to make its mind up between braking, coasting and even perhaps
applying power. Is the braking regen?
Old February 27th 10, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:55:11 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
was quite a bit of "hunting" in the drive system. Appeared not to be
able to make its mind up between braking, coasting and even perhaps
applying power. Is the braking regen?

Sounds like someone accidentaly loaded the 1992 stock control software
onto the system.

Seriously though , is it really so difficult to write software to drive
a train smoothly?

B2003

Old February 27th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Roland Perry wrote:
was quite a bit of "hunting" in the drive system. Appeared not to be
able to make its mind up between braking, coasting and even perhaps
applying power. Is the braking regen?

Sounds like someone accidentaly loaded the 1992 stock control software
onto the system.

Seriously though , is it really so difficult to write software to drive
a train smoothly?

B2003

As I was saying elsewhere, they now seem to have got rid of the
particularly violent deceleration half way out of Bank.
Old February 27th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:55:11 on Fri, 26 Feb
2010, Roland Perry remarked:

I went to South Quay (and back) today.

Something I forgot: Why do some of the stations have new looking
"steps" installed halfway up the facing wall between the track and
the platform edge?

With "Do not step on this" (or similar) written on them. I can't
remember ever seeing anything quite so much like a step, for not
stepping on.