Old March 8th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BAA & HEX/CONnect Cash In On Tube Line Closure

B2003

Personally I'd just take a taxi

And pay £60 - £80 for the privalege because we all know that no one
has ever missed a flight from LHR because of traffic f*** ups on the
M4/A4/M25.

Old March 8th 10, 10:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 8:56*pm, CJB wrote:
Instead BAA was charging the usual full-price rip-off fares it

normally does for its tatty and worn trains into outer London.

???? What trains are these then? I thought they were quite new
Old March 8th 10, 10:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 8 Mar, 11:08, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:13:51 -0800 (PST)

Mizter T wrote:
Bingo - CJB, you do so love trotting out a BAA-bashing post each time
a part of the Piccadilly line is closed 'out west' (i.e. somewhere
twixt central London and Heathrow).

When arrangements were made for HEx and Heathrow Connect (HC) to
accept z1-6 Travelcards - and later any Oyster card (merely on sight)
- then the fact that HEx and HC tickets continued to be sold was proof
of rip-off Britain in your eyes. Now that there's no such arrangement,
it's also proof of rip-off Britain in your eyes.

The heathrow services are part of the london rail network. Theres no reason
for them NOT to accept travelcards other than the fact they're given special
treatment for reasons no doubt involving brown envelopes down at whitehall.

The only reason they can still charge extortionate fares is because there
are enough mugs willing to pay them. Why anyone would pay 15 odd quid to be
dumped at paddington is a mystery to me. Personally I'd just take a taxi but
then I long ago gave up relying on public transport to get me to and from
airports anyway after a couple of close shaves due to the piccadilly line
****ing up.

B2003

The route is wholly financed by the BAA and is priced to be in
competition with taxis. It receives no money from TFL and therefore
does not accept TFL tickets.
Old March 8th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 8 Mar, 11:16, wrote:
On Mar 7, 8:56*pm, CJB wrote:

Instead BAA was charging the usual full-price rip-off fares it

normally does for its tatty and worn trains into outer London.

???? What trains are these then? I thought they were quite new

Plus how would he know? I thought he refused to use them. They were
fine in January when I last used them, wearing very well considering
they are in line for an internal refresh.

Old March 8th 10, 10:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:15:02 -0800 (PST)
TonySK14 wrote:

B2003

Personally I'd just take a taxi

And pay =A360 - =A380 for the privalege because we all know that no one
has ever missed a flight from LHR because of traffic f*** ups on the
M4/A4/M25.

At least you can listen to the travel news while you go there and the cabbie
can switch to a different route if theres a problem. If you get stuck in a
tube tunnel because some dick of a driver hasn't turned up on time for his
shift and the trains are backing up or someone has decided to top themselves
at acton station what other options do you have? Figure out 3 changes of
bus and miss the flight anyway? To hell with that.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the tube to get me anywhere on time anymore and
I've voted with my wallet even if taxis do cost a lot more. Sod TfL and LU.

B2003

Old March 8th 10, 10:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Bingo - CJB, you do so love trotting out a BAA-bashing post each time a
part of the Piccadilly line is closed 'out west' (i.e. somewhere twixt
central London and Heathrow).

When arrangements were made for HEx and Heathrow Connect (HC) to accept
z1-6 Travelcards - and later any Oyster card (merely on sight) - then the
fact that HEx and HC tickets continued to be sold was proof of rip-off
Britain in your eyes. Now that there's no such arrangement, it's also
proof of rip-off Britain in your eyes.

The heathrow services are part of the london rail network. Theres no reason
for them NOT to accept travelcards other than the fact they're given
special treatment for reasons no doubt involving brown envelopes down at
whitehall.

They are not part of the London rail network, they are owned by BAA. So
there is every reason not to accept travelcards because they don't get any
income from them.

The only reason they can still charge extortionate fares is because there
are enough mugs willing to pay them.

It's called market forces.

Why anyone would pay 15 odd quid to be dumped at paddington is a mystery to
me.

So what? Nobody is making you use it. Enough people find it useful to make
it a viable service.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/