Old March 8th 10, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG

On Mar 8, 3:37*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
06:26:44 on Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:

(Which reminds us once again what a shame it is there isn't a tunnel
linking to the Thameslink platforms from the tube).

I wonder why this wasn't done - a passageway linking the 'mezzanine'
level (above the Thameslink platforms but effectively a floor below
the ground floor of the rest of St P station) to the newly opened
passageway that links the NTH to the eastern side of St P would indeed
have been a useful thing.

But that's half inside and half outside the barriers. [...]

Yes, I knew that - I was actually envisaging there being a
subterranean gateline to the Thameslink platforms somewhere in the mix
too - my thought process was actually that the space required for such
a gateline array this might have been a factor in making such a
suggestion untenable.

[...] What you could
have there is a passage *below* the Thameslink platforms to the bottom
of the NTH escalators. It would be the same length as the passage from
those escalators to the Victoria Line.

OK. Hadn't thought of that before. I wonder if anything of the sort
was seriously considered. I imagine some such idea must have at least
come up in a brainstorming session at some point!

I wonder if there's something else lurking down there that's in the
way? Though most of the 'back-stage' stuff at St P appears to happen
above ground.

A river, or sewer or something, isn't it? Although that's at the south
end (where the tips of the Thameslink and Northern platforms are quite
close).

The River Fleet (aka the Sewer Fleet) apparently - something I wasn't
aware of until just now.

Well, if that's something that stood in the way of an easy shallow
underground passageway, then it's understandable.

Old March 8th 10, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On Mar 8, 2:59 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I wonder if there's something else lurking down there that's in the
way? Though most of the 'back-stage' stuff at St P appears to happen
above ground.

The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator
down from the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

That's all new to me, I must have missed the earlier threads - how
fascinating.

I've found this photo of a model of the various tunnels in the area -
according to a comment from the Mr Thant on another forum that I've
just found, the Fleet is in the straight light grey tube:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/2448629234/

I'm trying to envisage which escalators it might be behind (which
depends on whether the trajectory alters or not)...

Imagine you are going from the NTH towards St Pancras, using the subway
beneath St Pancras Rd. There are escalators leading up (into the corner of
the glass box) which is the main entrance via the cross passage towards the
'UK ticket hall'. If you could get behind those escalators - or in fact if
you bear to the right towards the other escalators that lead towards the HS
domestic platforms, just past the lift, then the Fleet sewer is at the same
level immediately on the other side the left hand wall.

[If you can confirm if your gmail address is read I can send you a useful
site plan...]

Paul S

Old March 8th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 4:14*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 8, 2:59 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

OK, yeah I think I've got it.

[If you can confirm if your gmail address is real I can send you a useful
site plan...]

It is real - and that'd be good, thanks.
Old March 8th 10, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 12:03*pm, Mizter T wrote:

I haven't yet been to Wimbledon since the new arrangements took effect
at the beginning of January, but yes, a passenger would need to touch-
in at Wimbledon before starting an NR journey if they've arrived on a
tram.

If they're finishing an NR journey at Wimbledon then you probably need
to touch-out to finish that journey before then touching-in again on
the Tramlink platform to cover your tram journey. I guess it's
possible that things have been configured so as to permit a single
touch on the Tramlink validator to both end the NR journey and start
the tram journey, but without having tried it (or been to Wimbledon
and seen whatever instruction notices are on display) then I couldn't
possibly say whether that's the case or not.

There are 4 validators on the Tram/FCC island platform - 2 for Tube/NR
journeys on the FCC side and 2 for Tram journeys on the other side.
One of each is marked with appropriate notices.
Old March 8th 10, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:55:03 on
Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Paul Scott remarked:
The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator
down from the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

I can't visualise any an escalators at the StP main entrance, sorry.

The 'main entrance' facing KX, at the east end of the concourse where the
EMT ticket offices are...

Oh, that entrance. I always look on that as a side door...

Old March 8th 10, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
08:01:18 on Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:
I've found this photo of a model of the various tunnels in the area -
according to a comment from the Mr Thant on another forum that I've
just found, the Fleet is in the straight light grey tube:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/2448629234/

I'm trying to envisage which escalators it might be behind (which
depends on whether the trajectory alters or not)...

That's all at the front of the building, not the "side door" mentioned
elsewhere.
Old March 8th 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart Johnson" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 04:03:59 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Living in Scotland now I only visit London two or three times a year,
and not since PAYG became valid on NR in January.

snipped

Thanks for your helpful reply

Another question has occurred to me. If I were to be unfortunate to be
due a refund, for whatever reason, my understanding is that you have
to nominate a station to collect it. Are there any alternatives, as
being an infrequent visitor that would undoubtedly be impractical?

Yes, provided that the oyster card is "registered" a refund can be made to a
nominated debit/credit card.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old March 8th 10, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 8:28*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:55:03 on
Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Paul Scott remarked:

The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator
down from the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

I can't visualise any an escalators at the StP main entrance, sorry.

The 'main entrance' facing KX, at the east end of the concourse where the
EMT ticket offices are...

Oh, that entrance. I always look on that as a side door...

It's as good a main entrance as St P has I suppose - it's got the
grandeur and scale of a main entrance, which none of the other ways in
have (though if you're arriving by taxi or being dropped off in a car
on Pancras Road you're more likely to use the side entrance a little
bit further south). Things may be different when the new hotel and
apartments are finally finished next year - this might provide a
'proper' entrance onto Euston Road.
Old March 8th 10, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 8:36*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
08:01:18 on Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:

I've found this photo of a model of the various tunnels in the area -
according to a comment from the Mr Thant on another forum that I've
just found, the Fleet is in the straight light grey tube:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/2448629234/

I'm trying to envisage which escalators it might be behind (which
depends on whether the trajectory alters or not)...

That's all at the front of the building, not the "side door" mentioned
elsewhere.

Yeah, I was just using it as a way of guesstimating the broad course
that the Fleet sewer takes under St Pancras, as it does indeed lead up
to the north end of the station - the plan Paul Scott kindly emailed
me shows its exact course[*].

-----[*] If anyone wants a copy, my email address is real.
Old March 9th 10, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 20:53:36 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

Yes, provided that the oyster card is "registered" a refund can be made to a
nominated debit/credit card.

Thanks, how do I check if I have a nominated card, I can't find any
reference to credit cards on the Oyster site? I think my card is
registered.
--
Stuart Johnson in Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from