Old March 8th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG

Hi

Living in Scotland now I only visit London two or three times a year,
and not since PAYG became valid on NR in January.

Could you knowledgeable folks in London advise me as to the following
scenarios please.

Firstly Wimbledon. I usually arrive at Wimbledon off the tram,
touching in/out on the LU platform for onward travel. Presumably the
same applies to the SWT platforms now.

However, if I were to enter Wimbledon from the street, touch in at the
main gateline, would I then need to touch in again on the LU/SWT
platforms and, if not, would touching in matter? The LU reader was
yellow, is it perhaps pink now?

Second question relates to OSIs.

Say I arrive at Shepherds Bush NR and intend to travel on from
Shepherds Bush LU, I have 20 minutes to do it. If that timelimit
expires I assume the journey would finish at the NR station and any
new entry would start a new journey? Suppose, within the 20 mins
allowed, I change my mind and re-enter the NR station, would that
result in an unresolved journey?

Thanks.

--
Stuart Johnson in Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from

Old March 8th 10, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 11:23*am, Stuart Johnson
wrote:
Hi

Living in Scotland now I only visit London two or three times a year,
and not since PAYG became valid on NR in January.

Could you knowledgeable folks in London advise me as to the following
scenarios please.

Firstly Wimbledon. I usually arrive at Wimbledon off the tram,
touching in/out on the LU platform for onward travel. Presumably the
same applies to the SWT platforms now.

I haven't yet been to Wimbledon since the new arrangements took effect
at the beginning of January, but yes, a passenger would need to touch-
in at Wimbledon before starting an NR journey if they've arrived on a
tram.

If they're finishing an NR journey at Wimbledon then you probably need
to touch-out to finish that journey before then touching-in again on
the Tramlink platform to cover your tram journey. I guess it's
possible that things have been configured so as to permit a single
touch on the Tramlink validator to both end the NR journey and start
the tram journey, but without having tried it (or been to Wimbledon
and seen whatever instruction notices are on display) then I couldn't
possibly say whether that's the case or not.

However, if I were to enter Wimbledon from the street, touch in at the
main gateline, would I then need to touch in again on the LU/SWT
platforms and, if not, would touching in matter? The LU reader was
yellow, is it perhaps pink now?

If you touch in at the main gateline, then no you do not need to touch-
in again if you're travelling on LU or NR - but it would not matter at
all if you did so anyway (and yes I've tested this). If you're
travelling on the tram then yes you do need to touch-in again on the
Tramlink platform - basically the gates assume that one is travelling
on NR or LU, so the extra validation is required to adjust the fare
paid down to that of a tram fare.

Second question relates to OSIs.

Say I arrive at Shepherds Bush NR and intend to travel on from
Shepherds Bush LU, I have 20 minutes to do it. If that timelimit
expires I assume the journey would finish at the NR station and any
new entry would start a new journey? [...]

Yes, if the time limit for an OSI expires, then it would mean that a
totally new journey was started. (I haven't double-checked that the
Shepherds Bush NR to Shepherds Bush LU OSI is indeed set at 20
minutes, but that seems more than enough time to cross the road!)

[...] Suppose, within the 20 mins
allowed, I change my mind and re-enter the NR station, would that
result in an unresolved *journey?

It shouldn't do, no - OSIs are basically configured between different
stations [1], so if you were to exit a set of gates and then re-enter
through the same set of gates, the original journey should be fully
resolved and closed, and then a totally new journey started.

-----
[1] Or more specifically different sets of gatelines - sometimes these
can be at the same station, but the only example I can think of off-
hand is at KXSP, where thhere is an OSI between the Circle/Met
gateline and the tube ticket hall (and I also now the northern ticket
hall - *I think*) - this is despite the fact that you can circulate
between the Circle/Met platforms and the other lines totally within
the paid-for area.
Old March 8th 10, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:03:59 on Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:
[1] Or more specifically different sets of gatelines - sometimes these
can be at the same station, but the only example I can think of off-
hand is at KXSP, where thhere is an OSI between the Circle/Met
gateline and the tube ticket hall (and I also now the northern ticket
hall - *I think*) - this is despite the fact that you can circulate
between the Circle/Met platforms and the other lines totally within
the paid-for area.

Don't you need OSI anyway, for people interchanging with Thameslink?

(Which reminds us once again what a shame it is there isn't a tunnel
linking to the Thameslink platforms from the tube).
Old March 8th 10, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 1:54*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
04:03:59 on Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:

[1] Or more specifically different sets of gatelines - sometimes these
can be at the same station, but the only example I can think of off-
hand is at KXSP, where there is an OSI between the Circle/Met
gateline and the tube ticket hall (and I also now the northern ticket
hall - *I think*) - this is despite the fact that you can circulate
between the Circle/Met platforms and the other lines totally within
the paid-for area.

Don't you need OSI anyway, for people interchanging with Thameslink?

There are multiple OSIs set up at Kings Cross and St Pancras that
cater for all the interchange possibilities - as you say Thameslink is
covered, as are FCC's Great Northern services out of King's Cross.

My comments only referred to the intra-Underground OSI at KXSP - i.e.
I was just trying to point out that the KXSP Underground station
complex has an OSI between different gatelines - between the Circle/
Met gateline and the Tube ticket hall gateline.

I think I've read somewhere that the new northern ticket hall (NTH)
gateline is treated the same as the original tube ticket hall
gateline, but I don't know the details - if so that would suggest that
there's no OSI configured if one was to exit through the NTH gateline
and re-enter at the original tube ticket hall gateline. But I haven't
tested this, and I haven't checked the most recent OSI list that's
been obtained under the FOIA.

(Which reminds us once again what a shame it is there isn't a tunnel
linking to the Thameslink platforms from the tube).

I wonder why this wasn't done - a passageway linking the 'mezzanine'
level (above the Thameslink platforms but effectively a floor below
the ground floor of the rest of St P station) to the newly opened
passageway that links the NTH to the eastern side of St P would indeed
have been a useful thing.

I wonder if there's something else lurking down there that's in the
way? Though most of the 'back-stage' stuff at St P appears to happen
above ground.
Old March 8th 10, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 04:03:59 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Living in Scotland now I only visit London two or three times a year,
and not since PAYG became valid on NR in January.

snipped

Thanks for your helpful reply

Another question has occurred to me. If I were to be unfortunate to be
due a refund, for whatever reason, my understanding is that you have
to nominate a station to collect it. Are there any alternatives, as
being an infrequent visitor that would undoubtedly be impractical?

Old March 8th 10, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:54 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

(Which reminds us once again what a shame it is there isn't a tunnel
linking to the Thameslink platforms from the tube).

I wonder why this wasn't done - a passageway linking the 'mezzanine'
level (above the Thameslink platforms but effectively a floor below
the ground floor of the rest of St P station) to the newly opened
passageway that links the NTH to the eastern side of St P would indeed
have been a useful thing.

I wonder if there's something else lurking down there that's in the
way? Though most of the 'back-stage' stuff at St P appears to happen
above ground.

The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator down from
the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

Paul S

Old March 8th 10, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
06:26:44 on Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:
(Which reminds us once again what a shame it is there isn't a tunnel
linking to the Thameslink platforms from the tube).

I wonder why this wasn't done - a passageway linking the 'mezzanine'
level (above the Thameslink platforms but effectively a floor below
the ground floor of the rest of St P station) to the newly opened
passageway that links the NTH to the eastern side of St P would indeed
have been a useful thing.

But that's half inside and half outside the barriers. What you could
have there is a passage *below* the Thameslink platforms to the bottom
of the NTH escalators. It would be the same length as the passage from
those escalators to the Victoria Line.

I wonder if there's something else lurking down there that's in the
way? Though most of the 'back-stage' stuff at St P appears to happen
above ground.

A river, or sewer or something, isn't it? Although that's at the south
end (where the tips of the Thameslink and Northern platforms are quite
close).
Old March 8th 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:59:57 on
Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Paul Scott remarked:
The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator down from
the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

I can't visualise any an escalators at the StP main entrance, sorry.
Old March 8th 10, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:59:57 on
Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Paul Scott remarked:
The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator
down from the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

I can't visualise any an escalators at the StP main entrance, sorry.

The 'main entrance' facing KX, at the east end of the concourse where the
EMT ticket offices are...

Paul S

Old March 8th 10, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 8, 2:59*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On Mar 8, 1:54 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
(Which reminds us once again what a shame it is there isn't a tunnel
linking to the Thameslink platforms from the tube).

I wonder why this wasn't done - a passageway linking the 'mezzanine'
level (above the Thameslink platforms but effectively a floor below
the ground floor of the rest of St P station) to the newly opened
passageway that links the NTH to the eastern side of St P would indeed
have been a useful thing.

I wonder if there's something else lurking down there that's in the
way? Though most of the 'back-stage' stuff at St P appears to happen
above ground.

The Fleet Sewer apparently lies immediately behind the escalator down from
the St P main entrance, according to earlier threads/posts.

That's all new to me, I must have missed the earlier threads - how
fascinating.

I've found this photo of a model of the various tunnels in the area -
according to a comment from the Mr Thant on another forum that I've
just found, the Fleet is in the straight light grey tube:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/2448629234/

I'm trying to envisage which escalators it might be behind (which
depends on whether the trajectory alters or not)...