Old March 9th 10, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG

"Stuart Johnson" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 20:53:36 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

Yes, provided that the oyster card is "registered" a refund can be made to
nominated debit/credit card.

Thanks, how do I check if I have a nominated card, I can't find any
reference to credit cards on the Oyster site? I think my card is
registered.

I just gave the woman on the other end of the oyster help line my debit card
details and the refund turned up in my bank account about about 3 or 4 days
later.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old March 9th 10, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:57:51 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Yes, provided that the oyster card is "registered" a refund can be made to
nominated debit/credit card.

Thanks, how do I check if I have a nominated card, I can't find any
reference to credit cards on the Oyster site? I think my card is
registered.

I just gave the woman on the other end of the oyster help line my debit card
details and the refund turned up in my bank account about about 3 or 4 days
later.

Sorry, another question.

I have auto-topup set, but both my cards numbers have changed
recently, how do I check that they have the right details, I don't
want to run out of credit.

Also, I seem not to be able to find my journey history online anymore,
the Oyster website keeps asking me to change my password, I enter a
new password and I get a page saying the link can't be found. Useless!
--
Stuart Johnson in Peterhead, Scotland
To reply direct remove FILTER from

Old March 9th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Mar, 13:03, Mizter T wrote:
On Mar 8, 11:23*am, Stuart Johnson
wrote:
Second question relates to OSIs.

Say I arrive at Shepherds Bush NR and intend to travel on from
Shepherds Bush LU, I have 20 minutes to do it. If that timelimit
expires I assume the journey would finish at the NR station and any
new entry would start a new journey? [...]

Yes, if the time limit for an OSI expires, then it would mean that a
totally new journey was started. (I haven't double-checked that the
Shepherds Bush NR to Shepherds Bush LU OSI is indeed set at 20
minutes, but that seems more than enough time to cross the road!)

It is 20 minutes.
I did this today, largely to see what happens:
Wood Green - Shepherds Bush (Central Line)
pop up to Westfield to collect my now-repaired computer, and return to
the station in under 20 minutes
Shepherds Bush (Overground) - Harringay Green Lanes, touching the pink
validator at Gospel Oak on the way.

The journey history on a tube ticket machine shows up as:
Wood Green - Shepherds Bush (£0)
Wood Green - Uncompleted (£4.30, which is the entry charge for a tube
station)
Gospel Oak - Harringay Green Lanes (£1.30)

The first journey from Wood Green presumably timed out 90 minutes
after it started, while I was still on my way to Gospel Oak. It's
interesting that the pink reader started a new journey - I'm beginning
to think that there's no difference between them and the yellow pads,
other than the text on the display.

From what I understand from this group, the system ought to work out
where I've been, and refund me £1.90 in the next couple of days.
Old March 9th 10, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

The pink readers might have some extra magic about them, but they can
definitely be used to start journeys because I did this at Highbury &
Islington a few weeks back (but haven't yet got round to saying so
here) - 'twas after an Arsenal home game, when the gates are locked
open at H&I so I just walked straight through and down to the NLL
platform to touch-in on the pink reader there (before making my way on
to Camden and a pub!). I suspect that the pink readers can be used to
end journeys too but haven't tested this.

From what I understand from this group, the system ought to work out
where I've been, and refund me £1.90 in the next couple of days.

What's been termed an 'auto-correction', which is a useful way of
describing it. Do report back on how long this takes.
Old March 10th 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...] What you could
have there is a passage *below* the Thameslink platforms to the bottom
of the NTH escalators. It would be the same length as the passage from
those escalators to the Victoria Line.

OK. Hadn't thought of that before. I wonder if anything of the sort
was seriously considered. I imagine some such idea must have at least
come up in a brainstorming session at some point!

I agree that a direct passage from the Thameslink platforms to the tube
would be a great boon to lots of people including me, but I think the
factor that everyone is missing is that the new St.Pancras is not a
railway station but a shopping complex (with almost incidentally a few
railway stations scattered around the periphery). This is the only
explanation of the fact that the two upper-level stations and the
lower-level (Thameslink) one are so far away from each other and all the
tube lines.

If they had introduced any direct tunnels of this sort, there would not
be anything like as many people passing the various retail
opportunities. I'm sure this consideration will have had enormous
weight at the design stage.

It is true that the new Northern tube ticket hall looks like it might
allow some interchanges to be made without passing more than a few
shops, but then the next stage of the project is to open the King's
Cross shopping mall.

--
Clive Page

Old March 10th 10, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 10, 7:36*pm, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

I'll let others comment on the broader point. However, with regards to
the 'Thameslink box', it's sited where it is at the north end of St P
because that's kind of the only place it could be - it's actually
north of the original St P building, and stretches under Midland Road
and perhaps a sliver under the corner of the British Library car park.
I get the feeling that building it under the old St Pancras station
would have been infeasible or at least impractical.
Old March 11th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:36:53 on Wed, 10 Mar
2010, Clive Page remarked:
St.Pancras is not a railway station but a shopping complex (with almost
incidentally a few railway stations scattered around the periphery).
This is the only explanation of the fact that the two upper-level
stations and the lower-level (Thameslink) one are so far away from each
other and all the tube lines.

I agree. I've seen the morning wave of commuters marching south along
the main shopping aisle (from the FCC and EMT stations to the western
ticket hall) and it just seems such a waste of time and energy that all
those people have to march all that way.
Old March 11th 10, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
15:23:22 on Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:

with regards to the 'Thameslink box', it's sited where it is at the
north end of St P because that's kind of the only place it could be -
it's actually north of the original St P building, and stretches under
Midland Road and perhaps a sliver under the corner of the British
Library car park. I get the feeling that building it under the old St
Pancras station would have been infeasible or at least impractical.

Yes, the box is in the only place it would fit, given the alignment of
the tracks. But the exit could have been somewhere near the toilets
adjacent to the Eurostar check-in, rather than halfway to Camden.

More radically, the Eurostar platforms should have been at the
undercroft level, with the Midland Mainline and Kent Domestic and
Eurostar check-in etc on the original level.
Old March 11th 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 11, 4:23*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 19:36:53 on Wed, 10 Mar
2010, Clive Page remarked:

St.Pancras is not a railway station but a shopping complex (with almost
incidentally a few railway stations scattered around the periphery).
This is the only explanation of the fact that the two upper-level
stations and the lower-level (Thameslink) one are so far away from each
other and all the tube lines.

I agree. I've seen the morning wave of commuters marching south along
the main shopping aisle (from the FCC and EMT stations to the western
ticket hall) and it just seems such a waste of time and energy that all
those people have to march all that way.

See my reply to Clive about the siting of the Thameslink box.

And (thread convergence) in a world where a fair number of people are
too fat, is getting them to walk it really a waste of their collective
energy? Indeed, a bit of exercise is in and of itself can be rather
energising...
Old March 11th 10, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote in news:Fj
:

I agree. I've seen the morning wave of commuters marching south along
the main shopping aisle (from the FCC and EMT stations to the western
ticket hall) and it just seems such a waste of time and energy that all
those people have to march all that way.

But it may help to keep their waistlines in check ... see other thread.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |