Old April 9th 10, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default No FT, no ELL slide show

Amazingly the FT has a slide show with audio on the ELL:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53453d8-3...44feabdc0.html

E.

Old April 9th 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"eastender" wrote in message
Amazingly the FT has a slide show with audio on the ELL:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53453d8-3...44feabdc0.html

E.

Unfortunately "FT.com articles are only available to registered users and
subscribers." but you can register free for 30 days.

Old April 9th 10, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 9, 4:53*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"eastender" wrote:

Amazingly the FT has a slide show with audio on the ELL:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53453d8-3...44feabdc0.html

E.

Unfortunately "FT.com articles are only available to registered users and
subscribers." but you can register free for 30 days.

The FT site might be checking the referrer (i.e. the webpage from
whence you've followed a link) - this might be the problem, e.g. if
there is no referrer (i.e. if you're going straight there via the link
from your newsgroup client). I had no problem when I accessed it from
Google Groups - I'm wondering if the FT is happy to allow access (at
least to a few articles, for a limited period) if the referrer is from
a google.com / google.co.uk domain.

Try clicking through the FT link in eastender's original post on
Google Groups he
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.tr...314aaa09cee100
Old April 9th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

"eastender" wrote:

[...]

======================

That worked. Worth watching. Thanks.

Old April 9th 10, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

Unfortunately "FT.com articles are only available to registered users and
subscribers." but you can register free for 30 days.

The FT site might be checking the referrer

Indeed I got it from doing a search for 'East London Line' on Google
News and a direct click from there worked for me. I would be surprised
if they put something like this behind a paywall.

But

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53453d8-3...44feabdc0.html

still works if you search for'East London Line' from the FT's home page.

Anyway, it's a nice sequence and well worth a look, IMO.

E.

Old April 10th 10, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/04/2010 17:30, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

That worked, many thanks, and that was an interesting slide show.

I have no doubt that the project is great, but I don;t necessarily know
how exactly it is "revolutionary," as the slide show side.

The slide show was also incorrect in that it said that the Dalston
Junction-Highbury & Islington extension would be opened by January 2011.
IIRC on this group, however, it is due to open in May 2011.

Old April 11th 10, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 10, 1:07*am, "
wrote:

The slide show was also incorrect in that it said that the Dalston
Junction-Highbury & Islington extension would be opened by January 2011.
IIRC on this group, however, it is due to open in May 2011.

A pedant would also point out that the Brunels' tunnel wasn't the
first underwater tunnel, but the first under a navigable river.