Old April 29th 10, 10:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Yellow front panels

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:35:38 +0200, Neil Williams
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:02:17 +0200, Johannes Picht
wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Don't they also carry headlights now ?

Old April 30th 10, 02:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:53:58 +0100, Charles Ellson
wrote:

Don't they also carry headlights now ?

I think so - but so do modern trains, and they need yellow ends as
well...

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old April 30th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red). In Germany,
you are free to run completely black locos such as

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Red, shurely. But the stuff coming out of the chimney is a visual clue
too. Indeed, as a first order approximation, I've always assumed that
the yellow end is a replacement for the plume of smoke/steam.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632978.html
(43 154 at Reading, 13 Jul 1999)
Old April 30th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red).

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Red, shurely. But the stuff coming out of the chimney is a visual clue
too. Indeed, as a first order approximation, I've always assumed that
the yellow end is a replacement for the plume of smoke/steam.

But I am fairly sure that in some situations a Steam loco will be
emitting little smoke or steam. Going down a gradient with the fire
burning cleanly the exhaust can be fairly transparent And that will be
just the time that little noise is produced either.

G.Harman
Old May 19th 10, 03:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I have a copy of the 1985(?) "Motive Power Recognition: London
Transport and PTE railways", and there do seem to be a number of
yellow painted service vehicles (at least they look yellow despite
being black and white photos!). Some do seem to be darker (maroon?)
however, maybe they were the older ones?
Old May 19th 10, 06:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On May 1, 8:42*pm, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

On those days when I am out watching the Pendolinos go by, I am
constantly impressed by how quiet they are.

Really ?

I think they are noisy for what they are, this is from the outside.
They make far more noise passing by than 350s do.

--
Nick
Old May 19th 10, 07:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anyway, what I really come on to post was this

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...act ion=image

yes its French - to the unintiated that a Prima, the current Alstom
BoBo electric - and that one is hired through an SNCF associated
leasing outfit called AKIEM to ECR that in turn was owned by EWS hence
now DBS.

Perhaps the yellow panels herald operation into UK )

Cue comment totally ignoring I am on a wind up and going on about that
is not allowed in the tunnel because it is not fitted with this that
and the other, none of which are blocking points because IMHO the
thing could be modfied.

--
Nick

Old May 19th 10, 07:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The message

from D7666 contains these words:

I think they are noisy for what they are, this is from the outside.
They make far more noise passing by than 350s do.

It seems to depend on where you are when they go past you. At Acton
Bridge they're both very noisy when running through at normal speed
(90-ish for the 350 and 120-ish for the Pendo. It also depends on how
many wheel-flats each individual train has...

--
Dave,
Frodsham
Old May 19th 10, 08:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

really) wrote:

On those days when I am out watching the Pendolinos go by, I am
constantly impressed by how quiet they are.

Really ?

I think they are noisy for what they are, this is from the outside.
They make far more noise passing by than 350s do.

They are very quiet compared to, say, Eurostars.