Old May 24th 10, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Updated TfL Real Time Web Page

On Mon, 24 May 2010 04:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Neil Williams
wrote:

On 24 May, 13:36, MIG wrote:

Is it just my screen, or is the whole map invisible apart from the
closed bits?

It's a very light shade of grey - could do with being made slightly
darker IMO.

The other thing they need to do is to design their website correctly
such that it is not fixed-width, particularly given the tendency
towards widescreen displays these days.

Neil

I have been faced with the screen width problem very recently due to
my monitor giving up suddenly. Obtaining a 1024x768 minitor is almost
impossible and many of the widescreen ones have a very limited height.
It also made me look at my website through semi-widescreen eyes and
getting others on photographic ngs to give me feed back.
My pages had no constraints on width so that some of the text became
one exceedingly long line, or two very long lines. They look awful.
Also relationship between pictures and text was sometimes destroyed.
I noticed that many professional websites, including the BBC,
constrain at least part of the site to 1024x768 proportions. ebay
does the same for heading pages but then lets them float further down
the pages.
Another problem was that some of my pages have thumbnails which lead
to full-screen images - full screen on 1024x768. On a widescreen
monitor, the image is much reduced in size and appears top left!
As if it isn't hard enough to make your site look good on IE (which
does not conform to industry standards) and other better browsers!
I have done quite a lot of work on my site because of these problems,
but it is very difficult to determine how successfully.
FWIW my new monitor is 1280x1024.

Guy Gorton

Old May 24th 10, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:42:03 +0100, Guy Gorton wrote:

I have done quite a lot of work on my site because of these problems,
but it is very difficult to determine how successfully.

http://www.google.com/search?q=css+layout

HTH
--
Alex
Old May 24th 10, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:51:51 +0000 (UTC), Alex Potter
wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:42:03 +0100, Guy Gorton wrote:

I have done quite a lot of work on my site because of these problems,
but it is very difficult to determine how successfully.

http://www.google.com/search?q=css+layout

HTH

Thanks for that, and I will look into it.! Trouble is that I started
this website creation thing with absolutely no knowledge of any
suitable language, and just used the Netscape WYSIWYG generator.
Reasonably successful, but the Netscape generator disappeared so I now
use Seamonkey in the same way but increasingly often I am forced to
get down into detail code.
I see tables are not the way to go - some of my pages are now a
one-col one-row table which allows me to constrain them, but hopefully
I can find a better way.
Thanks again.

Guy Gorton
Old May 24th 10, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 24 May 2010 17:25:01 +0100, Guy Gorton wrote:

Thanks for that, and I will look into it.! Trouble is that I started
this website creation thing with absolutely no knowledge of any suitable
language, and just used the Netscape WYSIWYG generator. Reasonably
successful, but the Netscape generator disappeared so I now use
Seamonkey in the same way but increasingly often I am forced to get down
into detail code.
I see tables are not the way to go - some of my pages are now a one-col
one-row table which allows me to constrain them, but hopefully I can
find a better way.
Thanks again.

You're welcome. Once you get your head around it it becomes
quite simple^W^W simpler.

The W3C validators are useful tools too.

--
Alex
Old May 24th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On May 24, 12:33 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
Hooray, hooray - Overground and DLR have been added to the Tube Real
Time map. If there is a delay or a closure then the line is
highlighted.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html

Also works for weekend engineering works.

At last!

Disruption on the Overground routes did (and still does) appear on an
alternative real time map - if you click on the "Rail" tab of the
"Live travel news" pages then click on the "Show on Tube map" link you
get this (which is I think a legacy/hangover from a previous
incarnation of the TfL website, if memory serves me right):
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/im/RD-T.html

Why London Overground (LO) info never appeared on the main real time
map when it did on this one is a bit of a mystery, especially given
that the greyed-out outline of the LO routes has appeared on that map
for, well, a few years now - how many people did this lull into
thinking that the LO network was fine when it wasn't?!

That said, I note that the legacy real time map I mentioned above is
currently only highlighting the lengthy closure of the NLL east of
Gospel Oak, whilst the main (new) version is currently showing the
suspension of the NLL west of Gospel Oak and of the WLL as far south
as Shepherd's Bush "due to a fire alert at Harlesden" - though that
info itself seems pretty suspect given that the LO JourneyCheck page
says services are "disrupted due to national grid power failure in the
Willesden area", which corresponds with other reports on uk.railway.
(Willesden Jn of course being located in Harlesden rather than
Willesden!)

Anyway enough criticism of times past - good stuff that this has
finally happened - though they might want to work on the accuracy of
the explanations. (Unless there is a fire?)

If anyone here uses Vista sidebar or Win7 desktop gadgets, there's a useful
little jobbie here...
http://www.thomthom.net/blog/2008/04...ebar-changelog
....that takes a feed from the page and displays a list of the lines with any
disrupted ones highlighted in orange, clicking on a highlighted line
produces a flyout with details of the disruption.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old May 25th 10, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 04:41:52AM -0700, Neil Williams wrote:
On 24 May, 13:36, MIG wrote:
Is it just my screen, or is the whole map invisible apart from the
closed bits?

It's a very light shade of grey - could do with being made slightly
darker IMO.

Surely it would be better to grey out the bits that *aren't* working!

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
Old May 25th 10, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 05:08:10AM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

At last!

Disruption on the Overground routes did (and still does) appear on an
alternative real time map

Still no SMS alerts for it though.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
-- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001
Old May 25th 10, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 May, 13:36, MIG wrote:
Is it just my screen, or is the whole map invisible apart from the
closed bits?

It's a very light shade of grey - could do with being made slightly
darker IMO.

Surely it would be better to grey out the bits that *aren't* working!

The whole point of the map is to draw attention to the bits that aren't
working. That way, you can quickly spot if your proposed journey is
likely to be affected.

Old May 25th 10, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 24 May, 13:36, MIG wrote:
Is it just my screen, or is the whole map invisible apart from the
closed bits?
It's a very light shade of grey - could do with being made slightly
darker IMO.

Surely it would be better to grey out the bits that *aren't* working!

The whole point of the map is to draw attention to the bits that aren't
working. That way, you can quickly spot if your proposed journey is
likely to be affected.

This map doesn't give the option of toggling between the full map and
the out of action bits, as the map on the main site did.

What's really needed is a three-way toggle (or tick boxes), ie all/
running only/not running only, so that punters can plan a route based
on what's actually running.

The current version only works if you have memorised the whole map and
need only know what isn't running (particularly given that the grey
bits aren't even visible till you expand it so much that you can only
see a tiny corner of the map). I doubt if that's true of the majority
of visitors to the site, although it's fine for me.
Old May 26th 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 May, 13:36, MIG wrote:
Is it just my screen, or is the whole map invisible apart from the
closed bits?
It's a very light shade of grey - could do with being made slightly
darker IMO.

Surely it would be better to grey out the bits that *aren't* working!

The whole point of the map is to draw attention to the bits that aren't
working. That way, you can quickly spot if your proposed journey is
likely to be affected.

The trouble is that it does that by showing the line in its normal
appearance. There's nothing in the image to suggest that it means
brokenness.

There was a brilliant format i saw a while ago that now seems to have died
out where the broken bits were written as a stream of X marks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twic/538554435/

We need something like that. Or putting a flashing orange border round the
broken bits or something.

tom

--
uk.local groups TO BE RENAMED uk.lunatic.fringe groups