Old June 28th 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Loogahgbaroogah

In message
Neil Williams wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:01:21 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

The Americans are no better, with Kansas and Arkansas. I wonder what the
reaction would be if a Brit were refer to Ar-Can-Zus while in the USA.

Nothing. It's an easily understood mistake

In Milton Keynes, we have Loughton ("Loww-ton"), Woughton ("Wuffton")
and Broughton ("Brorrton"). So these things happen everywhere.

There's a place on the Brighton Road, Slagham, that I've never found the
correct pronunciation for.

NB it's only claim to fame is the local pub, The Queen's Head, which features
Freddy Mercury on the sign.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/

Old June 28th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Not up in Leadville it doesn't (headwaters of the Arkansas river).

Leadville? Colorado surely?

--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old June 28th 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
"Roger Traviss" wrote:

Not up in Leadville it doesn't (headwaters of the Arkansas river).

Leadville? Colorado surely?

Absolutely, Cloud City! Fascinating place which still has a rail connection,
albeit a short tourist line.

Old June 28th 10, 08:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:46:41 +0100, Chris Tolley wrote:

I'm sorry, being of tender years, the reference is lost on me.

It was 'wontong' and 'Key Apsiddy' that set me off. I plead 20 hours on
the go with PHP. Sorry.

--
Alex
Old June 28th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 June, 19:18, Jeremy Double wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:48:52 +0100, Guy Gorton
wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. *I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. * Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

Presumably, though, pronouncing it as "Santanduh" would be as
incorrect as the other examples in this thread. *It is after all a
Spanish company named after a Spanish place.

OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of München to
Munich, Köln to Cologne, Москва́to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can see,
we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

But at least it's reasonably close to the Spanish, unlike "bowkay" and
"larngeray" for certain French words, as I've mentioned somewhere.

Old June 28th 10, 09:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Tourists and natives alike are asked in this country to pronounce the
new name for Abbey as San-tan-daire. I asked the staff whether they
would look at the cal-en-daire on the wall, and whether I could
ten-daire a 5 pound note. Sensible answers were prohibited by
management.

Presumably, though, pronouncing it as "Santanduh" would be as
incorrect as the other examples in this thread. It is after all a
Spanish company named after a Spanish place.

OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of München to
Munich, Köln to Cologne, Москва́to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can see,
we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

I thought it was more to do with Drake.

Conversely, there are cases where post-colonial guilt and PC
willy-waving mean Britons use "local" names which the natives might not
themselves use.

But at least it's reasonably close to the Spanish, unlike "bowkay" and
"larngeray" for certain French words, as I've mentioned somewhere.

Anyone mentioned Bombardier yet? (being from Quebec, the train and plane
manufacturer is not pronounced like the beer)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 28th 10, 09:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:18:47 +0100, Jeremy Double
wrote:

OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of Mnchen to
Munich, Kln to Cologne, ???????to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can see,
we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

In that case, it's OK for the Aussies to call it "Loogerberoogah". One
can't be OK and the other not.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old June 28th 10, 10:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of München to
Munich, Köln to Cologne, Москва́to to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can
see, we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

In that case, it's OK for the Aussies to call it "Loogerberoogah". One
can't be OK and the other not.

They can call it whatever they want, but no-one's going to know what
the hell they're on about if they do call it Loogerberoogah whilst
they're here.
Old June 28th 10, 10:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

OTOH, in English we don't pronounce Paris as "Paree", many people
pronounce Bologne as "Bolloin", we've changed the name of München to
Munich, Köln to Cologne, Москва to Moscow, etc... so as far as I can see,
we can pronounce Santander any way we like in England.

In that case, it's OK for the Aussies to call it "Loogerberoogah". One
can't be OK and the other not.

It's fine for Australians or Americans to pronounce Loughborough any way
they like AT HOME. But if they're trying to buy a rail ticket here in
England it's a different matter. If I was trying to buy a rail ticket
to Munich while in Germany, I'd call it München, although in
conversation over here I'd call it Munich.

--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at