Old August 5th 10, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford platform 3a

On 5 Aug, 19:24, Bruce wrote:

When the line was built, Canary Wharf did not exist as anything other
than a disused wharf. *Until the Reichmann brothers came along with
proposals to develop Canary Wharf into what it is today, there was no
need for a station at Canary Wharf at all. *

But a station was indeed built at Canary Wharf, of similar design to
the others on that stretch of line. It was complete, and even had
signs in the original style, but never opened and I think was at least
partially demolished by the time the line opened. Certainly, it had
completely gone soon afterwards.

Trains actually stopped at the location of this never opened station
for some time because it was still programmed into the control
system. Obviously, the doors did not open. Parts, e,g, canopies,
from the original station were stored nearby, and I think some were
later used when other stations were extended.

The DLR was built as an ultra-low cost light railway, and anything
that wasn't needed was not included. *Heron Quays and West India Quays
were both developed early and got stations.

When Canary Wharf station was built, it had to go between the two
existing stations. *That's why the three are so close together.

It was indeed built between West India Quay and Heron Quays, in
exactly the same location as the original, never-opened, station. I
suppose the extension of all of the stations to accept longer trains
brings their platform ends even closer than they would originally have
been.

Heron quays station was also in the middle of nowhere, and then a
building site. This station was almost totally unused when the line
first opened; there was nothing there. I remember an event, food-
related I think, taking place in a tent there, and that was the first
time that I got off there. West India Quay did see rather more use at
that time.

Once
again, the cost of making all three into one much larger station
spanning wide expanses of water would not have been economic.

(*even more so given the skip-stop service on
some Bank-Lewisham service (peaks?)).

In those days, the Lewisham extension hadn't even been planned, let
alone started. *Once again, you seem to think that people designing
the DLR in the mid-1980s should have been able to predict the exact
future course of development decades ahead ...

The truth is that no-one could have foreseen what would eventually
happen at Canary Wharf. *The idea came completely out of the blue. *It
was quite out of keeping with the then-current plans for Docklands,
which were for low- and medium-rise, low density development with the
primary objective of providing jobs for local people who were made
redundant when the docks and other associated local businesses closed.
The DLR was designed to support this objective. *So why on earth build
a grandiose station for a quay (Canary Wharf) which wasn't expected to
be developed?

The future of the Docklands area was indeed far from certain when the
DLR was being designed and built. Some predicted that the development
of the area would come to nothing, and that the DLR would be an
expensive (all of £77m if I remember correctly) white elephant.
Others predicted that a large-scale development would take, and the
DLR would be totally unable to cope. Neither prediction was totally
unreasonable at the time. Certainly, it would have been quite
impossible to fund anything like the current system at the time.

Old August 6th 10, 02:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Aug, 19:24, Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:17:56 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"

One any other railway they'd have just built Canary
Wharf (longer platforms perhaps), with additional accesses north and
south across each Quay.

When the line was built, Canary Wharf did not exist as anything other
than a disused wharf. *Until the Reichmann brothers came along with
proposals to develop Canary Wharf into what it is today, there was no
need for a station at Canary Wharf at all. *

According to Wiki:
"Canary Wharf station had been part of the original DLR plans, but
when the system opened in August 1987 the station was not ready.[5] It
was originally planned that the station would be similar to the
original station at Heron Quays, with two small platforms either side
of the tracks. It soon became apparent that the Canary Wharf
development would produce demand well above the capacity of a simple
station. On 17 July 1987 (over a month before the DLR opened to the
public) a contract was awarded to GEC-Mowlem Railway Group to rebuild
the station into the considerably more elaborate and spacious design
that exists today. It was opened in November 1991.[5]"

By the way, you owe Paul Corfield an apology. *Some serious grovelling
would be appropriate, but if you can't be sincere, don't bother.

I got the info I required (see upthread) very promptly, within about
2hrs 10 minutes after my initial email to the TfL Customer Relations
team. The person who responded (we'll call him "R") gave a very
succinct answer and he made no allusions to his job being under threat
by giving that answer.
Old August 6th 10, 06:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 6 Aug, 03:36, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 5 Aug, 19:24, Bruce wrote:

[...]

Maybe that's because his job was to give answers based on information
of the kind provided to those whose job it is to give answers.

This is not the same as giving out answers based on information which
has been provided confidentially to someone whose job is not to give
out answers, but who would have to guess whether it might happen to be
in the public domain by now. Even I can work that one out.
Old August 6th 10, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 19:36:11 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"
wrote:
On 5 Aug, 19:24, Bruce wrote:
By the way, you owe Paul Corfield an apology. *Some serious grovelling
would be appropriate, but if you can't be sincere, don't bother.

I got the info I required (see upthread) very promptly, within about
2hrs 10 minutes after my initial email to the TfL Customer Relations
team. The person who responded (we'll call him "R") gave a very
succinct answer and he made no allusions to his job being under threat
by giving that answer.

As I said, if you can't be sincere, don't bother. As you're clearly
intent on being a particularly nasty piece of ****, welcome to my kill
file. Ctrl-K.

Old August 6th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 5 Aug, 19:24, Bruce wrote:
By the way, you owe Paul Corfield an apology. *Some serious grovelling
would be appropriate, but if you can't be sincere, don't bother.

I got the info I required (see upthread) very promptly, within about
2hrs 10 minutes after my initial email to the TfL Customer Relations
team. The person who responded (we'll call him "R") gave a very
succinct answer and he made no allusions to his job being under threat
by giving that answer.

As I said, if you can't be sincere, don't bother. *As you're clearly
intent on being a particularly nasty piece of ****, welcome to my kill
file. Ctrl-K.

Actually, I'm not nasty enough to kill-file people, on this or any
other forum.

Old August 6th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 5 Aug, 19:24, Bruce wrote:
By the way, you owe Paul Corfield an apology. *Some serious grovelling
would be appropriate, but if you can't be sincere, don't bother.

I got the info I required (see upthread) very promptly, within about
2hrs 10 minutes after my initial email to the TfL Customer Relations
team. The person who responded (we'll call him "R") gave a very
succinct answer and he made no allusions to his job being under threat
by giving that answer.

As I said, if you can't be sincere, don't bother. *As you're clearly
intent on being a particularly nasty piece of ****, welcome to my kill
file. Ctrl-K.

And I apologised to Paul several posts upthread (he even acknowledged
that).
Old August 6th 10, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Aug, 13:02, Mizter T wrote:

Why on earth do you need to know so desperately anyway? The second
platform will open sometime soon, when it does you'll be able to go
and put your feet on the hallowed surface and discover that it's much
like any other platform, i.e. made of pink bouncy rubber and stuck
together with treacle.

[sigh] I confess it's an addiction, going around photographing every
single LUL, NR, DLR and Tramlink station in the Oystercard Zone over
the last two years or so.

http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSe...xt=Sunil060902

I've even made a start on visiting London's disused and/or never
opened stations (at present mostly in north and east London - south
and west London will be added when I have time!).

You may remember me making these posts several years ago:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....d?dmode=source
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....f?dmode=source

C3PO
It wasn't my fault, sir! Please don't deactivate me! But he's
faulty, malfunctioning, babbling on about his mission!
/C3PO
Old August 6th 10, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:53:54 on Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Dr. Sunil
remarked:
As I said, if you can't be sincere, don't bother. *As you're clearly
intent on being a particularly nasty piece of ****, welcome to my kill
file. Ctrl-K.

And I apologised to Paul several posts upthread (he even acknowledged
that).

I think Tony/Bruce is peeved because you refuted his history of Canary
Wharf station.
Old August 6th 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Aug, 03:36, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

According to Wiki:
"Canary Wharf station had been part of the original DLR plans, but
when the system opened in August 1987 the station was not ready.

I don't think I agree with this; as far as could be seen it was
complete, lighting, signs etc. were all installed. I can't be certain
as to whether things like commissioning of the lifts was complete, but
it not I think it would only have been because it had been decided
that the station would not open, and therefore final works had been
abandoned. It looked finished.

[5] It was originally planned that the station would be similar to the
original station at Heron Quays, with two small platforms either side
of the tracks. It soon became apparent that the Canary Wharf
development would produce demand well above the capacity of a simple
station. On 17 July 1987 (over a month before the DLR opened to the
public) a contract was awarded to GEC-Mowlem Railway Group to rebuild
the station into the considerably more elaborate and spacious design
that exists today. It was opened in November 1991.[5]"

This all sounds right. It was announced that the station would not
open due to the Canary Wharf development being given the go-ahead,
this had been in doubt until shortly before the DLR opened, and the
station therefore being in the middle of a building site for the next
few years. As I rote before, trains did actually stop at this 'ghost'
station for some time, untill it was removed from the control
software; I can't remember when this happened. The whole station area
was totally re-built; the platforms were demolished, the two original
tracks meerged into one, and an extra track added on each side, to
give the present three track, six platform layout.