Old August 3rd 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford platform 3a

On 2 Aug, 19:17, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:05:41 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"

wrote:
On 31 July, 20:39, D7666 wrote:
On Jul 31, 7:44*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

Anyone know when it will open?
I have a clue but if I reveal the date I will be shot by the press
office. *Let us just say the time until it does open is measured in
weeks rather than months.

I am in the same position.

I know the date - and have been involved with some of the controls
systems work - but it is also not appropriate for me to post the
program dates. Sorry, OP, there are occasions when ones professional
responsibilities have to over-ride crank interests.

Um, why the secrecy? Is it the same reason why we don't when the new
DLR section will open?

Read the relevant papers on the TfL website re the DLR - I repeated the
date of 20/9/10 which I am sure is in one of their documents.

checks

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-Operational-F...

see page 69 of the above document. *Also look at the status that is
shown against the "open for service" milestone. *The info is in the
public domain if you people search for it.

Without sounding rude I think you need to understand that some of us are
bound by strict codes of conduct at work and "errors" are not tolerated
if you're a senior manager. I don't think I need to say anymore?!
--
Paul C

scratching head quizzically
If the info is in the public domain why on earth would you get into
trouble for divulging said info here????

Old August 3rd 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Aug, 09:50, Tristan Miller wrote:
Greetings.

In article
,Dr. Sunil wrote:
As of this morning, a lot of the clutter and

barricades (platform side) had been removed from the new Central

westbound platform (3a), though the concourse accesses were still

blocked off by hoardings.

Anyone know when it will open?

I noticed
this as well. *Am I correct in assuming that this will be part of a
Spanish platform system? *If so, will either of the platforms be
exclusively for ingress or egress? *Or will one or both platform afford
both embarkation and disembarkation?

Regards,
Tristan

--
* *_
* _V.-o

I think the idea is to have one side ingress-only and vice versa. Not
sure which side though! There is a cross-platform interchange to
consider too (platform 5 for Liverpool Street).
Old August 3rd 10, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31 July, 19:44, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:08:46 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"

wrote:
As of this morning, a lot of the clutter and barricades (platform
side) had been removed from the new Central westbound platform (3a),
though the concourse accesses were still blocked off by hoardings.
Anyone know when it will open?

I have a clue but if I reveal the date I will be shot by the press
office. *Let us just say the time until it does open is measured in
weeks rather than months.

--
Paul C

Platform 3a....must have platform 3a....

March 2009:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._look_east.JPG

January 2010:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ook_eas t.JPG

31 May 2010:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi... _May_2010.JPG

31 July 2010:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._July_2010.JPG
Old August 3rd 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message

I think the idea is to have one side ingress-only and vice versa. Not
sure which side though! There is a cross-platform interchange to
consider too (platform 5 for Liverpool Street).

Just can't see it I'm afraid...

Unless you assume all arriving Central Line pax never wish to use P5 into
Liverpool St mainline, (that always seems to be a two way exchange to me
too), and you also assume that no-one from the DLR or Jubilee, or off the
street wants to board the Central Line by the most obvious direct route?

Seems to me that the new P3A will effectively become the default westbound
Central Line platform for entries from the street, and P3 will become the
subsidiary side for cross platform connection to/from NXEA on P5.

The primary benefit seems to be to increase the options for people waiting
for the Central line westbound. One problem anticipated in previous
discussions is pax using a stopped Central Line train as a short cut from P5
to the southern concourse. I can't see how that would be stopped even with
the obvious one way system!

No doubt somewhere there is a document that predicts/explains all the
expected flows - it will be useful when it all goes wrong...

Paul S

Old August 3rd 10, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 3, 12:53 pm, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

On 2 Aug, 19:17, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:05:41 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil":
[snip]

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-June-2010.pdf

see page 69 of the above document. Also look at the status that is
shown against the "open for service" milestone. The info is in the
public domain if you people search for it.

Without sounding rude I think you need to understand that some of us are
bound by strict codes of conduct at work and "errors" are not tolerated
if you're a senior manager. I don't think I need to say anymore?!

scratching head quizzically
If the info is in the public domain why on earth would you get into
trouble for divulging said info here????

He doesn't - it's information that isn't in the public domain that
puts Paul in fear of the enforcers of the legendary LU black-ops unit
(full of moonlighting RPIs earning a bit of cash-in-hand 'overtime' -
apparently they love it because they're no longer constrained by the
normal rules of engagement...).

If you read the whole thread you'll see there are two separate issues
- the opening of the Central line platform at Stratford, and the
opening of the DLR extension.

Old August 3rd 10, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Dr. Sunil wrote:
If the info is in the public domain why on earth would you get into
trouble for divulging said info here????

He probably wouldn't. But it would take some time and effort to
find out if the information is in the public domain - which he
might want to do before posting it here, Just In Case.

And that doesn't cover the case where the public info is X, but the
internal info is Y...

Cheers,

--
Mike Bristow
Old August 3rd 10, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 3, 3:13*pm, Mike Bristow wrote:

Dr. Sunil wrote:

If the info is in the public domain why on earth would you get into
trouble for divulging said info here????

He probably wouldn't. *But it would take some time and effort to
find out if the information is in the public domain - which he
might want to do before posting it here, Just In Case.

And that doesn't cover the case where the public info is X, but the
internal info is Y...

There are two separate bits of information being discussed in this
thread - that's the v. simple explanation.
Old August 3rd 10, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Aug, 20:35, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 04:53:18 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"

wrote:
scratching head quizzically
If the info is in the public domain why on earth would you get into
trouble for divulging said info here????

sigh

You raised two questions - platform 3a and then DLR. I have a good idea
about platform 3a but that is *not* in the public domain

Why not? It's hardly state secret - is it?

and I can't
share that info. *

Why not? Maybe Wikileaks can step in!

You then commented about multiple rumoured dates for
DLR to Stratford International and said we (the public) had not been
told. I simply pointed you to publicly available info from TfL that does
have a date.

Ooops my apologies!

We shall see if the team at DLR and their contractors meet
that date in due course. *I hope they do as I'm on hols then and a first
day ride would be very nice!

It would be nice to be able to approach Stratford International from
the Channelsea side!
Old August 5th 10, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Aug, 20:18, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 16:54:04 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Sunil"

wrote:
scratching head quizzically
If the info is in the public domain why on earth would you get into
trouble for divulging said info here????

sigh

You raised two questions - platform 3a and then DLR. I have a good idea
about platform 3a but that is *not* in the public domain

Why not? It's hardly state secret - is it?

I can't work out if you're being deliberately obtuse or you just don't
understand. *We have a code of conduct at work - if you breach it you
can be sacked.

Surely you have a duty to your customers?

I've had two scrapes with the press people over Oyster stuff I posted
here. To be frank I'm not going through that experience again.

If it ain't a state secret then I'm sure you will be able to tell me
when it is going to open!

No it ain't a state secret then I'm sure you will be able to tell all
of us when it's going to open, given you work for LUL!
Old August 5th 10, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Aug, 23:30, wrote:
On 2 Aug, 15:44, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

On 2 Aug, 15:37, wrote:

On 31 July, 16:08, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

As of this morning, a lot of the clutter and barricades (platform
side) had been removed from the new Central westbound platform (3a),
though the concourse accesses were still blocked off by hoardings.
Anyone know when it will open?

So, how many platforms will Stratford have when completed? *They now
seem to be numbered 1-17, but 4 and 7 don't exist, and 3a, 4a, 4b and
10a need to be added, making 19 in total, serving 18 tracks; is that
correct? *Quite a change from when I first got to know the station in
the '70s, when 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 were the only ones which saw other
than occasional use. *Even 1 and 2 were only used by the little-known
service from north Woolwich to Tottenham Hale.

Does anybody know when platforms 12 and the old 13 were closed, and
the part of the subway leading to them was bricked up? *When the old
subway was being cleaned up, the wall removed and the steps up to the
platform re-built an old poster frame had been dragged out of one of
the doorways leading off this subway, along with some rotten wood, and
there was the remains of a timetable on it, which listed a few trains
to Hertford East from platform 12, but I couldn't see any date on it.
I always knew that the station, and the area in general, was going to
see a change in its fortunes. *The station really was in a terrible
state at that time, despite the fact that it was only about 25 years
since the last refurbishment fot the Central Line extension and the
Shenfield electrification.

1 and 2 London Overground
3, 3a and 6 Central line (3 and 3a same track)
4a and 4b DLR via Bow Church
5 and 8 Shenfield services
9 and 10 Mainline services (beyond Shenfield)
(10a not used except during engineering works?)
11 and 12 Tottenham Hale/Stansted services
13, 14 and 15 Jubilee line
16 and 17 DLR Stratford International/West Ham

18 platforms in regular service, serving 17 tracks, with a 19th
platform serving an 18th track in occasional use

(actually are both DLR platform 4s in regular use?)

How are the platforms at Internationaal numbered/lettered?

The mainline station platforms are numbered 1 to 4. Two extra fast
tracks, not served by any platforms, pass through in between the
tracks with platforms. A seventh track rises up in between platforms 2
and 3 to access Temple Mills Depot to the northeast of the station.

I presume the DLR station, being in a separate building, will have its
own numbers/letters (probably the latter?).