Old August 12th 10, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Here We Go Again

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 01:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
Having used the T&W metro and struggled to get the damn ticket machine to
accept my money I can state thats its a pain in the bloody arse not to ha=

ve
a ticket office available. I imagine the same goes for a lot of unmanned
stations on the DLR.

B2003

But on London Underground the station would always be staffed, and the
station staff could help anyone who is having trouble using the ticket
machines, and as I said earlier, make sure that they are in working
order and adequately stocked with change.

Well it depends where the staff are. If they're standing near the ticket
machine then sure. If they're down on the platform then what are you
supposed to do? Shout loudly? Jump over the barriers to go and get them?

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Aug, 10:31, Mike Bristow wrote:

I suspect that Mr Crow is more worried about the safty of his members
than the safty of the public.

I suspect he's more worried about the safety of his big, fat pay
packet to match his big, fat head.

Most people I know prefer travelling on the DLR rather than the tube
on the basis that there are fewer staff, and everything seems to run
smoother. People correlate these things together, because the machines
don't go on strike and stations don't needlessly close because there's
nobody working at them.

Every time I go through Bank station, there are two staff standing at
the top of a closed escalator / lift directing people to take another
route. Never mind the fact that a sign would do, why does it take two
people to do this? Customers of the tube can see overspend and wastage
every day.
Old August 12th 10, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Paul wrote:
Having used the T&W metro and struggled to get the damn ticket machine to
accept my money I can state thats its a pain in the bloody arse not to ha=

ve
a ticket office available. I imagine the same goes for a lot of unmanned
stations on the DLR.

B2003

But on London Underground the station would always be staffed, and the
station staff could help anyone who is having trouble using the ticket
machines, and as I said earlier, make sure that they are in working
order and adequately stocked with change.

Well it depends where the staff are. If they're standing near the ticket
machine then sure. If they're down on the platform then what are you
supposed to do? Shout loudly? Jump over the barriers to go and get them?

B2003

In my experience, the number of staff required to help huge queues of
people who are having trouble with ticket machines (not understanding
tickets/Oyster, not taking cash/cards etc etc) is considerably more
than would be required to open the ticket office.
Old August 12th 10, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Aug, 12:01, David F wrote:
[...]

Indeed. When I used to commute from South Quay to Walthamstow via
Bank and Kings Cross, it used to p**s me off that at peak hours, one
of the passageways leading from the top of the DLR escalator to the
Northern Line was roped off. During the off peak hours this passageway
was open. One would have thought that at peak hours you would have
more passageways open to assist with congestion control. But since
when did LUL care about the invconvenience to passengers.

But the whole point of the exercise about reducing the opening hours
of ticket offices is that staff will be redeployed elsewhere within
the station. This will, if anything, increase station security. Does
Comrade Crow not understand this?
Old August 12th 10, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Aug, 12:16, Paul wrote:
On 12 Aug, 12:01, David F wrote:

[...]

Tell me about it... I fly into London City on Sunday evenings on a
regular basis. DLR into Bank is nice and quick - they're even nice
enough to put a DLR departure board just inside the door of the
airport when you get off the plane. All nice and smooth until I get
off the DLR. I have to exit the DLR (with a case) climb a number of
steps, past the Northern Line exit (which is closed), over more steps
- up and down - then all the way down the Central line platforms, then
up an escalator, then walk a bit more before I finally get out of the
bloody station. Takes an age and no, I don't pass any staff making it
'safer' for me on the way.

Don't get me started on why I can't turn left out of the steps down to
the DLR on to the platform... why must I walk the length of the
platform, and then back up again if I want to get to the quieter end
of it? And why haven't they fixed the bloody escalator. It used to be
fairly easy to get to the DLR, now I have to walk through the Northern
Line platform when it's 'dangerously' busy. I'm sure as hell not
diverted there for safety.

Old August 12th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Aug, 09:45, Paul wrote:
On 12 Aug, 09:32, wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

Paul wrote:
adequately stocked with change. *Perhaps Comrade Crow would like to
explain how systems such as the Tyne & Wear Metro can be considered
safe when they have no ticket offices at all.

Having used the T&W metro and struggled to get the damn ticket machine to
accept my money I can state thats its a pain in the bloody arse not to have
a ticket office available. I imagine the same goes for a lot of unmanned
stations on the DLR.

B2003

But on London Underground the station would always be staffed, and the
station staff could help anyone who is having trouble using the ticket
machines, and as I said earlier, make sure that they are in working
order and adequately stocked with change.

Use your credit card if you're out of change. If you're having trouble
using a ticket machine, you probably shouldn't be allowed unattended
on the tube, anyway.
Old August 12th 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
David F wrote:
Use your credit card if you're out of change. If you're having trouble
using a ticket machine, you probably shouldn't be allowed unattended
on the tube, anyway.

And if you don't have any cards on you but do have money which the machine
won't accept? You might pay with your company gold amex whenever you fly into
London City but not everyone is like you.

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David F wrote:
Use your credit card if you're out of change. If you're having trouble
using a ticket machine, you probably shouldn't be allowed unattended
on the tube, anyway.

And if you don't have any cards on you but do have money which the machine
won't accept? You might pay with your company gold amex whenever you fly into
London City but not everyone is like you.

I definitely don't have a Gold Amex ... just a bog standard Lloyds TSB
debit card!

If I was really stuck, I guess I'd pop to the cash machine above
ground - withdraw a tenner and feed that to the ticket machine. If I
had no cards on me, I guess I could try another ticket machine - or
maybe be more concerned that I had counterfit pound coins in my
pocket. Worst case, I could make a short stroll down to the next
station where I am sure the machines would be working - or pick up
some change in a shop on the way. I could even get the bus.

Of course, I'd probably just use my Oyster card in the first place.

Old August 12th 10, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:17:02 -0700 (PDT)
David F wrote:
If I was really stuck, I guess I'd pop to the cash machine above
ground - withdraw a tenner and feed that to the ticket machine. If I
had no cards on me, I guess I could try another ticket machine - or
maybe be more concerned that I had counterfit pound coins in my

Or a crumpled tenner or one that someone has scribbled on or ripped.

pocket. Worst case, I could make a short stroll down to the next
station where I am sure the machines would be working - or pick up
some change in a shop on the way. I could even get the bus.

Unlike the DLR most tube stations outside central london are not a "short
stroll" apart. The next station down the line from my station is a half hour
walk. I know because I've had to do it on a couple of occasions.

Of course, I'd probably just use my Oyster card in the first place.

How do you top up your oyster card then, magic?

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David F wrote:
[...]

If you want to understand Comrade Crow's attitude to "safety", look at
the saga of the re-opening of the Airdrie to Bathgate line in
Scotland.