Old August 11th 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Here We Go Again

Members of the RMT union have voted overwhelmingly for industrial
action on London Underground in a row over jobs and safety.

The union said 76% of its members voted for strike action.

"We will now use this mandate for action to build up a campaign of
industrial, political and public pressure," said RMT general secretary
Bob Crow.

The union said a date for the strike had not been agreed.

It said it would begin an extensive consultation with members.

RMT said it would also liaise with sister transport union TSSA - which
will announce its own ballot result next week - on the next course of
action.

Both unions believe that 800 posts are under threat and more than 140
ticket offices will close, which they say threatens safety.

I wonder if the "extensive consultation" will result in a strike over
the August Bank holiday weekend.

Old August 11th 10, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Aug, 13:42, Paul wrote:

Members of the RMT union have voted overwhelmingly for industrial
action on London Underground in a row over jobs and safety.

The union said 76% of its members voted for strike action.

The sooner these goons jobs are replaced by robots, the better.

Both unions believe that 800 posts are under threat and more than 140
ticket offices will close, which they say threatens safety.

So what? It's not like any policy decision is theirs to make. Why
don't we have 100+ station attendants, and 20 on each platform. It
would be safer! Therefore, it must be done.

Old August 11th 10, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
David F wrote:
Both unions believe that 800 posts are under threat and more than 140
ticket offices will close, which they say threatens safety.

So what? It's not like any policy decision is theirs to make. Why
don't we have 100+ station attendants, and 20 on each platform. It
would be safer! Therefore, it must be done.

I'm no fan of Bob Crowe but it does **** me off that fares went up
considerably in january yet LU are making cuts to staff which will affect
the service at ticket offices.

B2003

Old August 11th 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

-----

I wonder if the "extensive consultation" will result in a strike over
the August Bank holiday weekend.

No, I can't imagine it would for a moment - that's carnival weekend,
which about a million people go to each year. The union (collectively,
i.e. senior officials and members) simply wouldn't pick that weekend
to strike. I don't think there's ever been a strike threat on the
August bank holiday weekend.
Old August 11th 10, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 11 Aug, 14:37, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 11, 1:42*pm, Paul wrote:

[...]

Although I seem to recall Railtrack closing all routes to the East
Anglian seaside for about three August Bank Holiday weekends in
succession.

That's a while ago, but engineering work still seems to be allowed to
scupper parallel routes to special weekend events only too often, but
that's not done by a union, so it doesn't attract the same responses.

Old August 11th 10, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
05:42:45 on Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Paul remarked:
Both unions believe that 800 posts are under threat and more than 140
ticket offices will close, which they say threatens safety.

Getting on a train without a ticket is often quite dangerous.
Old August 12th 10, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Aug, 15:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
05:42:45 on Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Paul remarked:

Both unions believe that 800 posts are under threat and more than 140
ticket offices will close, which they say threatens safety.

Getting on a train without a ticket is often quite dangerous.

As I understand it, there will be no compulsory redundancies as a
result of this exercise, and no ticket offices will close completely.
What is going to happen is that ticket offices will close earlier than
at present, and that staff will be redeployed elsewhere in the
station.
Surely moving staff from behind the ticket office window into the
booking hall, passageways and platforms would make a station safer,
not the other way round? If there is a member of station staff in the
booking hall, they can assist customers who need to purchase tickets,
and make sure that the ticket machines are in working order, and
adequately stocked with change. Perhaps Comrade Crow would like to
explain how systems such as the Tyne & Wear Metro can be considered
safe when they have no ticket offices at all.
Old August 12th 10, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
adequately stocked with change. Perhaps Comrade Crow would like to
explain how systems such as the Tyne & Wear Metro can be considered
safe when they have no ticket offices at all.

Having used the T&W metro and struggled to get the damn ticket machine to
accept my money I can state thats its a pain in the bloody arse not to have
a ticket office available. I imagine the same goes for a lot of unmanned
stations on the DLR.

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:
adequately stocked with change. *Perhaps Comrade Crow would like to
explain how systems such as the Tyne & Wear Metro can be considered
safe when they have no ticket offices at all.

Having used the T&W metro and struggled to get the damn ticket machine to
accept my money I can state thats its a pain in the bloody arse not to have
a ticket office available. I imagine the same goes for a lot of unmanned
stations on the DLR.

B2003

But on London Underground the station would always be staffed, and the
station staff could help anyone who is having trouble using the ticket
machines, and as I said earlier, make sure that they are in working
order and adequately stocked with change.
Old August 12th 10, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
05:42:45 on Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Paul remarked:
Both unions believe that 800 posts are under threat and more than 140
ticket offices will close, which they say threatens safety.

Getting on a train without a ticket is often quite dangerous.

Working alone in a big, empty, station where the public can
land a punch on your nose (rather than behind an armoured glass
window) might be, though.

I suspect that Mr Crow is more worried about the safty of his members
than the safty of the public.

--
Mike Bristow