Old August 12th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default LU A stock over NR routes

Now that the S stock trains are slowly going to be introduced into service how
will the A stock go to scrap? Its apparently 10cm wider than the maximum
network rail loading gauge (according to an article I read in Rail today) so
will they be able to move it by rail over some specially cleared routes or
will it have to go by road?

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 Aug, 14:11, David Hansen
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:04:47 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
wrote this:-

Now that the S stock trains are slowly going to be introduced into service how
will the A stock go to scrap? Its apparently 10cm wider than the maximum
network rail loading gauge (according to an article I read in Rail today) so
will they be able to move it by rail over some specially cleared routes or
will it have to go by road?

Presumably it arrived by rail, so that with a will there should be a
way of taking it away by rail. Perhaps lines have been closed since
the 1960s though.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me

Where does new stock get delivered to now, anyway?

In the distant past it was always delivered to West Ruislip for
commissioning, but I've been that way a few times, and it certainly
isn't full of 2009 stock or S stock.
Old August 12th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
RPM RPM is offline

On Aug 12, 2:24*pm, MIG wrote:

wrote this:-

[...]

isn't full of 2009 stock or S stock.- Hide quoted text -

The S stock is being delivered to Neasden, by rail via Aylesbury &
Princes Risborough.

The A stock was certainly moved by rail when it was refurbished so
there must be some routes cleared for it.

RPM
Old August 12th 10, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12 Aug, 14:04, wrote:
Now that the S stock trains are slowly going to be introduced into service how
will the A stock go to scrap? Its apparently 10cm wider than the maximum
network rail loading gauge (according to an article I read in Rail today) so
will they be able to move it by rail over some specially cleared routes or
will it have to go by road?

Ah, but, in kinematic envelope terms the vehicles are relatively short
(16m according to wackypædia) so the throw on curves would not be as
substantial as an equiv. 20m carriage.

Need to sit down and do the geometry to work out how much, mind

AE

Old August 12th 10, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
Andy Elms wrote:
On 12 Aug, 14:04, wrote:
Now that the S stock trains are slowly going to be introduced into servic=

e how
will the A stock go to scrap? Its apparently 10cm wider than the maximum
network rail loading gauge (according to an article I read in Rail today)=

so
will they be able to move it by rail over some specially cleared routes o=

will it have to go by road?

Ah, but, in kinematic envelope terms the vehicles are relatively short
(16m according to wackyp=E6dia) so the throw on curves would not be as
substantial as an equiv. 20m carriage.

I always thought 2.85 (ish) was the absolute maximum width no matter what
the length of the carraiges. Is this not the case?

B2003

Old August 12th 10, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 06:28:48 -0700 (PDT), RPM
wrote:

On Aug 12, 2:24*pm, MIG wrote:

wrote this:-

[...]

IIRC it got as far as Rosyth. ITYF the practical collision risk for
any infrastructure is mainly involved with using crossovers within
platformed areas or allowing the stock to rattle around enough to
reach the sideways limits of the suspension while passing through
platforms, these being the matters addressed in the movement
instructions for CO/CP stock from Neasden to Quainton Road.
Old August 12th 10, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

The S stock is being delivered to Neasden, by rail via Aylesbury &
Princes Risborough.

The A stock was certainly moved by rail when it was refurbished so
there must be some routes cleared for it.

IIRC it got as far as Rosyth.

The A stock was refurbished at Derby in the early 1990s. Eight-car sets were
moved (generally Class 37 hauled) from Neasden to Aylesbury, run round, then
via Wycombe and the Greenford loop to Didcot and forward via Oxford,
refurbished sets returning via the same route. I don't think that any trains
went via Bicester due to capacity issues on the (then) single line and
crewing issues. The move from Neasden usually started on Saturdays,
mid-morning. Somewhere I've got some pictures of unrefurbished A stock
sitting in platform 2 at Aylesbury.

Unfortunately the S stock deliveries are not so easily photographable,
occurring late at night, arriving at Neasden at around 01:00 on Friday
mornings (so far - assuming that the diagram doesn't change when deliveries
pick up).