Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 24th 11, 10:58 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default London Overground

Last Wednesday, I was in London for the day. After enjoying Southwest
Trains and London Underground, I experienced London Overground for the
First time. An aside: I was surprised by the way delays on the
Underground were announced as they are a normal occurrence.

Having utilized the Northern City I joined the Overground (North
London Line) at Highbury & Islington. The East London line side was a
hive of activity with numerous orange jacketed workers in
attendance.

Highbury & Islington station looked as if it has been largely
rebuilt. It is a very different place from the H&I of the early
1970s. The new platforms and footbridge look very good.

Onwards, I travelled to Kentish Town West. It is disappointing to see
the route narrow to two tracks. Would that the ELL could extend to
Camden Road. The bridge at Camden Road is a sad sight.

Considering the length of many journeys on the Overground, the new
trains seem well designed for their purpose. They are functional and
spacious with helpful PIS systems. They are certainly a change from
the LMR slam door stock I recall.

Generally the Overground is taking on a TfL atmosphere. The
improvements are numerous, with staff in evidence and wider entrances
and lobbies. Gone are the days of the unstaffed stations with tiny
turnstiles.

Well done TfL.