Old January 27th 11, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus route - going back to depot

In message , at 22:29:56 on
Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Basil Jet remarked:

I thought that buses running out of service were ordered to avoid their
service route where possible, because people waiting for buses get
annoyed if they see a bus with their chosen route number running out of
service.

A simpler solution is to replace the number with either "Not in Service"
or blank. Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

Old January 27th 11, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Jan, 10:21, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:29:56 on
Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Basil Jet remarked:

I thought that buses running out of service were ordered to avoid their
service route where possible, because people waiting for buses get
annoyed if they see a bus with their chosen route number running out of
service.

A simpler solution is to replace the number with either "Not in Service"
or blank. Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

Of course LED displays would solve this, just a touch of a button and
all routes nembers displays are removed.
Old January 27th 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://bus38.online.fr/images/laurentlondon.jpg
Old January 27th 11, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes

Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

They do sometimes. See 3rd photo down at:

http://www.showbus.com/gallery/lt/lubdart.htm

Branded as the "Duck Bus" because it goes to Barnes Wetlands.

But it was a silly idea because LU later had to use some of the vehicles
on other routes in the area, and for some time visitors were terminally
confused by the words "To and from Barnes Wetlands" painted on the
vehicle, when in fact it was on a route that went nowhere near that
destination.

LU also route-branded some other services, such as the 285: see the last
two photos on

http://www.showbus.com/gallery/lt/lub4.htm
--
Paul Terry
Old January 27th 11, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
02:45:34 on Thu, 27 Jan 2011, George
remarked:
I thought that buses running out of service were ordered to avoid their
service route where possible, because people waiting for buses get
annoyed if they see a bus with their chosen route number running out of
service.

A simpler solution is to replace the number with either "Not in Service"
or blank. Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

Of course LED displays would solve this, just a touch of a button and
all routes nembers displays are removed.

I can't remember the last time I saw a bus that didn't have a changeable
display. Round here some of the single-deckers still have the manual
scrolls, but all the double deckers and the newer single deckers have
electronic displays.

Old January 27th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:48:23 on
Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Basil Jet remarked:

Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

http://bus38.online.fr/images/laurentlondon.jpg

Is that one still in service?
Old January 27th 11, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:39:59 on Thu, 27
Jan 2011, Paul Terry remarked:

Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

They do sometimes. See 3rd photo down at:

http://www.showbus.com/gallery/lt/lubdart.htm

Another lesson that usenet is the place to weed out edge cases. Well
done!
Old January 27th 11, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\01\27 12:27, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:48:23 on
Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Basil Jet remarked:

Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

http://bus38.online.fr/images/laurentlondon.jpg

Is that one still in service?

A fair point which hadn't occurred to me at all!

While looking for a newer one I came across this, which amused me...
http://www.se8signs.co.uk/images/photos/pic19_bus.jpg
Old January 27th 11, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Route number specific bus branding [was: Bus route - going back to depot]

[x-posted to uk.transport.buses - coz it's about buses!]

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 11:39:59 on Thu, 27
Jan 2011, Paul Terry remarked:

Buses don't have the route number painted on them permanently!

They do sometimes. See 3rd photo down at:

http://www.showbus.com/gallery/lt/lubdart.htm

Another lesson that usenet is the place to weed out edge cases. Well done!

Not so fast Mr Perry! ITYF there are many examples of where route specific
branding has been used on buses around the country - so it's not really an
edge case. No current examples from London readily spring to mind, but a
number of Routemaster operated routes (e.g. 12, 36, 18, 73) used to go in
for it (from the 90's onwards I think, i.e. post split up and privatisation
of the LT buses operation) as did some other routes.

There's even a Flickr group called "Buses With Route Branding" here...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/994991@N25/

At first glance some of the entries in this group perhaps don't seem clear
cut, others are of what one could deem as belonging in some sort of special
category e.g. P&R and airport link buses, and others still don't show a
route number but do display a list of destinations served, or else a route
name (e.g. "Coastliner") - however I've had a quick gander and picked these
out which all fit the bill of having the route number as a permanent fixture
(well, permanent in a relative sense)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52952806@N05/4905163784/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8615623@N04/5252015953/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52952806@N05/5263851251/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cuthbus/5286871782/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eybusman/5289299775/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eybusman/5286983755/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8615623@N04/5317022334/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnoram/4508428816/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/km_edinburgh/5336223964/

No route number but I like the name...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcw1987/5270789917/

This webpage shows several route number branded buses in Reading:
http://www.buszone.co.uk/OmniDekka.html

Many other examples (both on that Flickr group and elsewhere) there should
one wish to forage around for them - I think broadly speaking they're
commonly flagship routes or else routes that have had some sort of relaunch
(or indeed a new route).

I assume the advantage of route branding that doesn't actually show the
route number (of which there are many more examples) is that if that bus
ends up 'off route', passengers are less likely to get in a muddle about
what number the bus actually is (i.e. what route it's operating).