Old February 3rd 11, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus route - going back to depot

On 2 Feb, 21:41, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 04:15:47 -0800 (PST), George

wrote:
On 1 Feb, 20:54, Paul Corfield wrote:

[snip]

While some bus services in those conurbations will be busy I doubt any
get close to the highest frequencies in London nor see the same scale of
demand. And that is not decrying the efforts of the bus companies in
those areas although I dare say the locals probably would complain about
what they get. *It is worth noting that the Mayor and TfL seem to have
convinced the DfT and Treasury that broadly maintaining London's bus
network is a "good thing" for the country. *While the budget may well be
trimmed somewhat and fares will rise the essential nature of the network
will be preserved. If the London approach was fatally flawed and
unaffordable surely the government would have demanded an alternative
approach? * It seems to be demanding that in every other sector like
health, education, the BBC, social services etc etc.

Still we could always do what Northamptonshire County Council are
suggesting - abolishing all bus service subsidies (already very low) and
expecting the private sector to cover some of the lost journeys. There
is some residual funding for combined social service / demand responsive
travel for some parts of the county. *I feel genuinely sorry for those
people in Northants who will lose their bus services permanently as a
result of government cuts to council funding.

Yes it does seem appalling that people in Northants face losing their
bus services whilst TfL continue to throw good money after bad on
Hybrid buses not too mention the Oystercard system which seems to be
attracting more and more complaints from rail users about being
overcharged, although I'll admit it does generally work well on buses
where a flat fare is deducted on entry.

I note you have casually changed the subject and ignored 98% of what I
typed in order to maintain your anti-TfL commentary.

Out of curiosity are Stagecoach, Thames Travel, First Manchester and
Reading Buses also throwing good money after bad in purchasing hybrid
buses with assistance from the DfT funding pot? *No different to TfL's
approach.

I assume you will also throw in the Borismaster to the "waste of money"
category as it is planned to be a hybrid vehicle?

Strange that you decry Oyster and yet every large city and many counties
want something similar. Are Go North East, Metrobus, Brighton and Hove
and Trent Barton also wasting their time in investing in smart card
systems for their services? * You can't have it both ways George. *The
things you criticise TfL for are also being implemented by profit making
private bus groups elsewhere in the country. Smartcards are also planned
for many rail franchises and the Tyne and Wear Metro. Many of those
initiatives are also supported by government policy and funding - green
buses and ITSO ticketing.

--
Paul C- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure how I've ignored 98% of what you've said but anyway, the
one or two hybrids on trial is one thing but the amount we have in
London is ridiculous, I notice those 'electric buses' that used to
operate on the 129 very rarely leave Walworth Garage nowadays.

If Oyster worked properly it would be great but quite clearly it
doesn't.

Old February 3rd 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 02:32:42 -0800 (PST)
George wrote:
I'm not sure how I've ignored 98% of what you've said but anyway, the
one or two hybrids on trial is one thing but the amount we have in
London is ridiculous, I notice those 'electric buses' that used to
operate on the 129 very rarely leave Walworth Garage nowadays.

Are you talking about those hydrogen powered ones that used to be in central
london or the hybrid diesel ones that had much fanfare then were never
mentioned again (and I remember saying on this group would be underpowered
to many dismissive putdowns)?

B2003

Old February 3rd 11, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Feb 2011 10:54:43 GMT
Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Are you talking about ... the hybrid diesel ones that had much fanfare
then were never mentioned again (and I remember saying on this group
would be underpowered to many dismissive putdowns)?

You mean the 56 currently in service, rising to 300 through this year, or
the 100% of new buses TfL will be bringing into service from next year?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...emes/2019.aspx

Well apparently "in service" means sitting in the garage. I've certainly
never seen one on the streets and going by some of the photos they should
be pretty hard to miss with that huge lump on the roof.

B2003

Old February 3rd 11, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 3 Feb 2011 10:54:43 GMT
Adrian wrote:

gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Are you talking about ... the hybrid diesel ones that had much fanfare
then were never mentioned again (and I remember saying on this group
would be underpowered to many dismissive putdowns)?

You mean the 56 currently in service, rising to 300 through this year, or
the 100% of new buses TfL will be bringing into service from next year?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...emes/2019.aspx

Well apparently "in service" means sitting in the garage. I've certainly
never seen one on the streets and going by some of the photos they should
be pretty hard to miss with that huge lump on the roof.

What lump on the roof of hybrid buses is that then?

(The newest ones don't feature the green leaf livery either.)

Old February 3rd 11, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:16:23 -0000
"Mizter T" wrote:
Well apparently "in service" means sitting in the garage. I've certainly
never seen one on the streets and going by some of the photos they should
be pretty hard to miss with that huge lump on the roof.

What lump on the roof of hybrid buses is that then?

The lump I saw at the back on top of a single decker in some picture.
I presume its the battery pack. Perhaps double deckers can fit it in
elsewhere.

B2003

Old February 3rd 11, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Feb 2011 12:42:29 GMT
Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Well apparently "in service" means sitting in the garage. I've
certainly never seen one on the streets and going by some of the
photos they should be pretty hard to miss with that huge lump on the
roof.

What lump on the roof of hybrid buses is that then?

The lump I saw at the back on top of a single decker in some picture. I
presume its the battery pack. Perhaps double deckers can fit it in
elsewhere.

http://citytransport.info/Digi/4690a.jpg

Do stop trying to get one over everyone else all the time. You often end up
looking silly.

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/econew...London-buses.h
tm

B2003

Old February 3rd 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Well apparently "in service" means sitting in the garage. I've
certainly never seen one on the streets and going by some of the
photos they should be pretty hard to miss with that huge lump on the
roof.

What lump on the roof of hybrid buses is that then?

The lump I saw at the back on top of a single decker in some picture.
I presume its the battery pack. Perhaps double deckers can fit it in
elsewhere.

http://citytransport.info/Digi/4690a.jpg

Do stop trying to get one over everyone else all the time. You often end
up looking silly.

That's right, Bloaty. It's me that looks silly after you mentioned not
having seen any hybrid buses, because they didn't have lumps on the roof.
Oh, look. I look so silly having posted a pic of one of the hybrids in
service in London - without a hump on the roof. Yes, silly me.

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/econew...ion-system-on-
London-buses.htm

That's nice, dear. "Not all buses look the same" - hold the front page!

It even says in that very article...

"Transport for London (TfL) is trialling the buses as part of an
extensive long-running study into the performance _of different hybrid
systems_"

Oh, look. Of different hybrid systems. So they're different buses to the
rest of the hybrid fleet.

Silly me.
Old February 3rd 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Feb 2011 13:12:37 GMT
Adrian wrote:
Do stop trying to get one over everyone else all the time. You often end
up looking silly.

That's right, Bloaty. It's me that looks silly after you mentioned not
having seen any hybrid buses, because they didn't have lumps on the roof.
Oh, look. I look so silly having posted a pic of one of the hybrids in
service in London - without a hump on the roof. Yes, silly me.

Yes silly you for trying to prove that I was mistaken or just bull****ting.
Better luck next time.

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/econew...ion-system-on-
London-buses.htm

That's nice, dear. "Not all buses look the same" - hold the front page!

It even says in that very article...

"Transport for London (TfL) is trialling the buses as part of an
extensive long-running study into the performance _of different hybrid
systems_"

Oh, look. Of different hybrid systems. So they're different buses to the
rest of the hybrid fleet.

Wow. So I don't read the latest news to do with boring bloody buses.
What am I missing out on in life?

Silly me.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Next time check your facts before you
imply that I'm lying you arsehole.

B2003