Old April 6th 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

In message
, SB
writes

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

Today's "one under" was at Surbiton. I'm sure part of the reason is to
seek out a fast line to ensure instant despatch, but it's so unfair on
drivers.

Massive disruption across the SWT network this afternoon as a result,
including cancellations, diversions and late running of up to an hour.
SWT Dorking service cancelled, and Exeter/Salisbury services terminating
at Basingstoke. Even the Windsor line and Hounslow loop line were
affected. Some services not expected to return to normal until tomorrow.
--
Paul Terry

Old April 6th 11, 06:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote

Massive disruption across the SWT network this afternoon as a result,
including cancellations, diversions and late running of up to an hour. SWT
Dorking service cancelled, and Exeter/Salisbury services terminating at
Basingstoke. Even the Windsor line and Hounslow loop line were affected.

Presumably some Main Line trains diverted via Chertsey and Staines, getting
in the way of Windsor and Hounslow Loop.

Peter

Old April 6th 11, 07:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"SB" wrote in message
Sadly there was yet another person hit by a train at Southall on
Monday evening (yesterday).

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/co...c=669.msg87663

This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem
be a regular occurance.

Anyway you would have thought that First Great Western might have
had
a contingency plan for such occurrences by now.

I suspect they had. BTP's target time for reopening a railway after
a fatality is 2 hours. If you could get a fleet of buses to
Paddington to take all the passengers it would almost certainly take
the best part of 2 hours.

An illustration.....

A few yearsgo I had a call (at home ) from my boss (I was working as a
coach driver).
"Come to the yard, collect a coach, go to Gatwick - they have fog
problems".

(I was living in Portsmouth, I had to drive to Gosport, pick up (and
check over) a vehicle, and drive it to Gatwick.

At Gatwick, three of us coach drivers had instructions to take a load
to Stansted. Being haemophrenic types, we decided one would do M25
anticlockwise, one M25 clockwise, and one (me ) through the middle of
London. (to see which was quickest - traffic was light, it was now the
small hours).

Going through the Victoria area aiming towards Park Lane, there was
nearly a riot from the passengers.... "There's the bloody hotel we
left 24 hours ago!!!!!"

)

Old April 6th 11, 08:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 06/04/2011 20:44, Ian wrote:
At Gatwick, three of us coach drivers had instructions to take a load
to Stansted. Being haemophrenic types, we decided one would do M25
anticlockwise, one M25 clockwise, and one (me ) through the middle of
London. (to see which was quickest - traffic was light, it was now the
small hours).

Going through the Victoria area aiming towards Park Lane, there was
nearly a riot from the passengers.... "There's the bloody hotel we
left 24 hours ago!!!!!"

OK, who was quickest?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old April 7th 11, 08:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:50:59 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
As I said, you haven't got a clue.

Ah, standard issue get-me-out-of-this-hole-i've-dug response #1 - if you have
no answer just keep repeating yourself and hope the other person gives up.

Sad.

ROTFL

Thats standard response #2. Are you going to work your way through the
entire list, do you have any sort of cogent argument you could put forward
or will your next reply be "troll" or "*plonk*" which are #3 and #4
respectively?

B2003

Old April 7th 11, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 06/04/2011 20:44, Ian wrote:
At Gatwick, three of us coach drivers had instructions to take a
load
to Stansted. Being haemophrenic types, we decided one would do M25
anticlockwise, one M25 clockwise, and one (me ) through the middle
of
London. (to see which was quickest - traffic was light, it was now
the
small hours).

Going through the Victoria area aiming towards Park Lane, there was
nearly a riot from the passengers.... "There's the bloody hotel we
left 24 hours ago!!!!!"

OK, who was quickest?

AISTR, there wasn't very much in it between centre of London and
clockwise route.

Anticlockwise was rather longer.

But he did decide to stop for half an hour at Clackett Lane.