Old April 7th 11, 08:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:51:24 +0100
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:
Well unless you're suggesting that ALL spouses are effectively kidnapped
and brought here then that example is ********. Sure, there are some but
we're not talking about them.

How do you know we are not talking about people in corresponding
situations? I was.

Well they're not very common are they? Or are you suggesting a large
proportion of immigrant wives are held against their will?
And there are plenty who are not in that situation who can barely
speak the language. Whats their excuse? I know someone who's mother has
lived over here since before I was born yet she still speaks english like
someone who's done a weeks beginners course and no more. She is in no
way held prisoner since her husband buggered off years ago. She's just
****ing lazy and expects her kids to do everything for her including
translation.

government through our taxes. In other places, if you don't arrive at
the school gate with the requisite daily fee in your hand, you don't get
an education.

Which particular places then? Not in india or pakistan AFAIK.

i went. Stop trying to excuse lazyness or are you going to say that
all the ex-pat Brits in the costas who can't be arsed to learn
spanish also have a good excuse not to bother?

No, because one of my talents is sticking to the point, no matter how
much obfuscation comes along.

My point ,which you obviously didn't have the mental horsepower to
comprehend is that if people can get away without bothering to learn
a language they will. Its nothing to do with social situation or money, its just
lazyness.

B2003

Old April 7th 11, 11:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/04/2011 09:48, Ian wrote:
"Graeme wrote in message
On 06/04/2011 20:44, Ian wrote:
At Gatwick, three of us coach drivers had instructions to take a
load
to Stansted. Being haemophrenic types, we decided one would do M25
anticlockwise, one M25 clockwise, and one (me ) through the middle
of
London. (to see which was quickest - traffic was light, it was now
the
small hours).

Going through the Victoria area aiming towards Park Lane, there was
nearly a riot from the passengers.... "There's the bloody hotel we
left 24 hours ago!!!!!"

OK, who was quickest?

AISTR, there wasn't very much in it between centre of London and
clockwise route.

Anticlockwise was rather longer.

But he did decide to stop for half an hour at Clackett Lane.

Some years ago a colleague and I were driving back from Snetterton
circuit via the M11. We'd arranged to meet at a pub in Southampton.[1]
I went south round the M25, he went north. I got to the pub 10
minutes before he did.

[1] ob Railway, The Dolphin by St Denys Station.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old April 7th 11, 11:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/04/2011 10:11, Hils wrote:
The solution to such things does not lie in inviting all of the world's
downtrodden to what is already the most densely-populated country in
Europe,

[snip diatribe]

You are the editor of the Daily Express AICMFP

Old April 7th 11, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 06:49:39PM +0100, Paul Terry wrote:
In message
, SB
writes
This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

Today's "one under" was at Surbiton. I'm sure part of the reason is to
seek out a fast line to ensure instant despatch, but it's so unfair on
drivers.

And not just on the drivers. It's just plain inconsiderate to
*everyone*: passengers, drivers, other railway staff, emergency
services.

If you want to kill yourself, do it at home with a sharp knife.

Planckton: n, the smallest possible living thing

Old April 7th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:* David Cantrell
*Date:* Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:55:46 +0100

,
SB writes
This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does

seem to
be a regular occurance.

Today's "one under" was at Surbiton. I'm sure part of the reason
is to seek out a fast line to ensure instant despatch, but it's
so unfair on drivers.

And not just on the drivers. It's just plain inconsiderate to
*everyone*: passengers, drivers, other railway staff, emergency
services.

If you want to kill yourself, do it at home with a sharp knife.

Planckton: n, the smallest possible living thing

Yes, but it is particularly the drivers who may be affected badly and long
term by one-unders. Any witnesses may be affected to a lesser extent. For
people affected by the knock-on effect, such as delays to their journey,
it's more of a temporary inconvenience, however inconvenient it may be.

I agree that people shouldn't commit suicide in this way, but if they've
got to the state where they're going to kill themselves, they're probably
not thinking properly anyway.

Unfortunately, although jumping under a train is often thought of as a
quick sure way of going, it's rarely that. Many people survive, sometimes
with a lingering painful death a few hours, days or weeks later. Others
may survive minus various bits and pieces, but need permanent care. There
again, there are those who jump and walk away without a scratch, usually
to then go away and try again elsewhere.

Roger
Old April 7th 11, 02:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Hils wrote:

The solution to such things does not lie in inviting all of the world's
downtrodden to what is already the most densely-populated country in
Europe, and which already has 1 million homeless, 5 million people out
of work, and millions more who can only get by through state supplements
to inadequate incomes.

Nobody (certainly not me, to whom you wrote this) said it does.
--
..sig down for maintenance
Old April 7th 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/04/2011 13:44, d wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:16:31 +0100
Graeme wrote:
On 07/04/2011 09:44,
d wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:50:59 +0100
Graeme wrote:
As I said, you haven't got a clue.

Ah, standard issue get-me-out-of-this-hole-i've-dug response #1 - if you

have
no answer just keep repeating yourself and hope the other person gives up.

Sad.

ROTFL

Thats standard response #2. Are you going to work your way through the
entire list, do you have any sort of cogent argument you could put forward
or will your next reply be "troll" or "*plonk*" which are #3 and #4
respectively?

I suggest you go and watch Midsomer Murders, you won't find anything to
frighten you there.

Who's frightened? Seems to me people like you are the scared little mice.
Too timid to tell people to buck up and learn the language because you can't
deal with confrontation no matter how mild.

We are dealing with you and you are hardly mild.

But, please, do explain how I tell someone to buck up and learn the
language when her slavemast^^^^^ husband won't let her have any contact
with the outside world unless she is chaperoned by him or his relatives?

She certainly won't be able to speak to any strange men, that could get
her killed.

Old April 7th 11, 06:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6 Apr, 06:57, Neil Williams wrote:
On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:28:05 -0700 (PDT), W14_Fishbourne

wrote:
An FGW manager from Paddington might well have had to go to Southall

...for lots of reasons. *If that leaves no-one in effective charge at
Padd, they need more staff there.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Except that Network Rail runs Paddington