Old August 25th 11, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Travelled from Harrow and Wealdstone to Hackney via Willesden Jn

On Aug 25, 9:27*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote on 25 August 2011 20:04:59 ...

In articleop.v0rqfphcyfeo2q@pc-prime, (andypurk) wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:53:12 +0100, Paul Scott
*wrote:

*wrote in message
news:fOydncOUh5gJwMjTnZ2dnUVZ8k6dnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk...

As for Willesden Junction, IIRC the pink validator is half-way along
the (narrow) tunnel between the two groups of platforms, so anyone who
would benefit from using the pink validator there will naturally walk
past it when changing trains.

Isn't there a second route nowadays from the north end of the
footbridge *(ie turning left at the top of the P1/2/3 stairs) to
the eastern end of *the high level platforms - not a lot of use if
there is no pink *validator in that direction...

Yes there is. I've only used it once and can't recall if there was an
* Oyster validator on that route. If there isn't, then there should be.

There should be one on the NLL platforms as people can change trains there.

Are you thinking about journeys like Highbury & Islington to Clapham
Junction, if you get a Richmond train and have to change at WJ to a
WJ-CJ train? *But you can do the whole journey on one train if you time
it right. What happens then? *Do you get lumbered with a "via Zone 1" fare?
--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)-

That one seems to be priced not via zone 1 by default.

Old August 25th 11, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 25, 9:27*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

wrote on 25 August 2011 20:04:59 ...

There should be one on the NLL platforms as people can change trains there.

Are you thinking about journeys like Highbury & Islington to Clapham
Junction, if you get a Richmond train and have to change at WJ to a
WJ-CJ train? *But you can do the whole journey on one train if you time
it right. What happens then? *Do you get lumbered with a "via Zone 1" fare?

No, that's a zone 2 fare - and Stratford to Clapham Junction is
charged as a zone 2&3 fare.

You can check all such possibilities using the TfL single fare finder
here...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...inder/current/

....cross-referencing, if needs be, to the TfL-rate fare table he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Bear in mind the different fare tables for NR-only and through NR+TfL
rate fares.
Old August 25th 11, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelled from Harrow and Wealdstone to Hackney via Willesden

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

We had a discussion here where I got lumbered with a "via Zone 1" fare
despite touching the pink validator. I think the problem was because I
continued to Putney. If I had stopped at Clapham Junction I'd have got a
"via Zone 2" fare.

I was thinking more of changing involving reversal there which might be a
bit more likely to be justified. That said, even Acton Central to Shepherd's
Bush doesn't look too plausible, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 25th 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 25, 10:22*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

There should be one on the NLL platforms as people can change
trains there.

Are you thinking about journeys like Highbury & Islington to Clapham
Junction, if you get a Richmond train and have to change at WJ to a
WJ-CJ train? *But you can do the whole journey on one train if you
time it right. What happens then? *Do you get lumbered with a "via
Zone 1" fare?

We had a discussion here where I got lumbered with a "via Zone 1" fare
despite touching the pink validator. I think the problem was because I
continued to Putney. If I had stopped at Clapham Junction I'd have got a
"via Zone 2" fare.

Yes, if I remember the discussion correctly that was indeed the issue
- it was a Highbury & Islington to Putney journey, via NLL/WLL to CJ
then SWT - but there's no 'non-z1' fare in the system for that
journey.

I was thinking more of changing involving reversal there which might be a
bit more likely to be justified. That said, even Acton Central to Shepherd's
Bush doesn't look too plausible, though.

Acton Central to Shepherd's Bush (LO) is charged as a zone 2&3 journey
anyway.
Old August 25th 11, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelled from Harrow and Wealdstone to Hackney via Willesden Jn on oyster and was charged a zone 1-6 fare

Mizter T wrote in

The extinction of the zones 2-6 (and 2-9) daily cap has perhaps had

the
effect of making me somewhat less concerned with ensuring that I

benefit
from non-z1 fares, at least on days when I'm likely to hit a cap (all

of
which now include z1 of course). Though just to be clear I'm by no

means
writing off the non-z1 fare concept at all.

(Since the removal of the z2-6 cap I'm also now likely to ponder a

moment
longer - at the weekend at least - as to whether it's worthwhile

going to a
station and getting the Railcard-reduced Day Travelcard, which of

course
covers all of zones 1-6, for £5.30.)

I take it this refers to a railcard like the Network card that cannot
be loaded on to Oyster as a discount ?

--
Mike D