Old September 14th 11, 04:21 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sep 14, 5:48*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

But the conversation has to include the card number (or it could be any
card in the reader). The "yes" is so easy to fake in these circumstances
it's a meaningless question for the bank at the other end to be asking.

The bank can issue a key to encrypt, and it can be encrypted by the
card reader and sent back. That's how the card readers work in the
case of the ones issued by banks for online banking, albeit there's a
human typing the code and PIN into the keypad and typing the generated
key back into the website.

Yes, it'd need to transmit the card number as well, but that's no
different to keying it!

A skimming device, anyway.

That's what I meant - skim the stripe, obtain the PIN then use the
generated card abroad where there is no C&P. I think that's the bulk
of these scams.

Personally, I wish banks would issue two cards - one chip, one
magstripe, the former for UK use, the latter not - then this fraud
would be wiped out completely.

It is usual throughout the world for tolls, parking charges etc to be
at the customer's expense.

Not a blank cheque though.

No, though if the only place to wait was a paid-for car park, you'd no
doubt have to pay that. But it is definitely usual for these "kiss
and ride" fees and the likes to be on top.

Neil

Old September 14th 11, 04:22 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 14, 5:49*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

It seems to encourage drivers to claim it was 10% when it was in fact
5%.

"There is a 10% surcharge for paying by card" doesn't imply who is
charging the surcharge.

Ryanair charge swingeing card fees - does anyone think their merchant
charges them that? I rather doubt it.

Neil
Old September 14th 11, 04:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:47:20 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

1506 wrote:

It is precisely because my immediate family means so much to me, that
we moved from England to the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the early
1980s. Our quality of life, and standard of living, improved in so
many ways.

And you also improved England by leaving, for which we thank you.

Unfortunately for you you will find that "1506" is, I am informed, now
resident in Aylesbury so be careful what you say in the supermarket
till queue. He might be standing behind you.

Do you think his *"Bruce"*?

Michael Bell

Old September 14th 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
09:21:14 on Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Neil Williams
remarked:
But the conversation has to include the card number (or it could be any
card in the reader). The "yes" is so easy to fake in these circumstances
it's a meaningless question for the bank at the other end to be asking.

The bank can issue a key to encrypt, and it can be encrypted by the
card reader and sent back.

These things are never as simple as they sound

It is usual throughout the world for tolls, parking charges etc to be
at the customer's expense.

Not a blank cheque though.

No, though if the only place to wait was a paid-for car park, you'd no
doubt have to pay that. But it is definitely usual for these "kiss
and ride" fees and the likes to be on top.

The Birmingham kiss-and-ride is extortionately priced though. When I
dropped some people off there earlier this year they were surprised I
used the multi-storey car park (about £2.50 minimum charge for first
hour) but I knew it was likely to be cheaper once I'd seen them to
check-in.

East Midlands have cranked up their charges too, from previously 10
minutes free, to now £1 for the first 10 minutes or £2 per 30 minutes
short stay.
Old September 14th 11, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
09:22:04 on Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Neil Williams
remarked:
On Sep 14, 5:49*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

It seems to encourage drivers to claim it was 10% when it was in fact
5%.

"There is a 10% surcharge for paying by card" doesn't imply who is
charging the surcharge.

We also offer the lowest industry surcharge, at just 5%. This is
configurable which means you can charge as much as you like and
keep the difference. Most drivers surcharge at 10% and so a £30
fare costs the customer £33 but the driver receives £31.50.

Ryanair charge swingeing card fees - does anyone think their merchant
charges them that? I rather doubt it.

Ryanair are doing the "keeping the difference" thing.

Old September 14th 11, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Michael Bell wrote:

wrote:

1506 wrote:

It is precisely because my immediate family means so much to me, that
we moved from England to the Commonwealth of Kentucky in the early
1980s. Our quality of life, and standard of living, improved in so
many ways.

And you also improved England by leaving, for which we thank you.

Unfortunately for you you will find that "1506" is, I am informed, now
resident in Aylesbury so be careful what you say in the supermarket
till queue. He might be standing behind you.

Do you think his *"Bruce"*?

If proof were ever needed that you are
the most complete of idiots, there it is.

Old September 14th 11, 06:59 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 14/09/2011 11:19, 1506 wrote:

Arrival Heathrow, destination Bognor Regis. Did utilize the Circle
Line once.

A story involving all of those three elements is never going to be a
happy one.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old September 14th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 14/09/2011 12:19, d wrote:

can you imagine if people boarding a bus all wanted to pay by card?

That would be shellfish.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old September 14th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 14/09/2011 11:19, 1506 wrote:
Arrival Heathrow, destination Bognor Regis. Did utilize the Circle
Line once.

A story involving all of those three elements is never going to be a
happy one.

No journey whose final destination is Bognor Regis is going to be
happy.

But I suppose lots of people go there to die ... eventually. ;-)

Old September 15th 11, 07:55 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 14, 3:41*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
03:19:48 on Wed, 14 Sep 2011, 1506 remarked:

I've done cross-London a few times with two suitcases and a carry-on
(some designs will clip onto one of the suitcases). But I wouldn't
recommend going via Victoria; you should choose the route with that kind
of thing in mind. If Victoria and luggage implies Gatwick, for example,
you can usually construct much more manageable journeys via Thameslink..
--

Arrival Heathrow, destination Bognor Regis. *Did utilize the Circle
Line once. *A cab is so much easier.

Of course a cab is easier (unless it gets caught in traffic - I've had
some trips where it's quicker to walk).

If luggage and stairs is the issue, I'd try: Heathrow to St Pancras by
Piccadilly, northern ticket hall, Thameslink, change to the Bognor train
at Gatwick.

Makes it an awful long journey. Taxi works fine.

When I have changed off Thameslink, I have found Three Bridges a
better option.