Old September 18th 11, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

Default Public internet access on the london underground

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:35:00 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:22:55 on Mon, 12 Sep
2011, d remarked:
Never seen a flight simulator cabin close up? The servos in those move a
substantial weight very quickly and precisely.

I'm sure the mechanical side its simple , I'm wondering how they keep an
accurate lock on the satellite however. Does it actively scan for the signal
or does it take readings from the planes GPS & gyroscopes and work out
where it should be?

Read up about the Boeing system, I know that works. It's also $500k to
install per plane,

About the same as a Boeing Kettle then,

so not a child's toy.

Derek G.

Old September 19th 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
[Rabbit]
There was still a sign at Holborn a coupla years ago. The only other
one I've seen recently is at Brighton station.

A few years ago there was one about three storeys up in the arrivals hall at
Gatwick (South, I think, BICBW). I haven't checked more recently than that.
Quite why a Rabbit user would look up there to see if they could use their
phone, I don't understand.

Theo
Old September 19th 11, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:01:03 on Mon,
19 Sep 2011, Theo Markettos
remarked:
[Rabbit]
There was still a sign at Holborn a coupla years ago. The only other
one I've seen recently is at Brighton station.

A few years ago there was one about three storeys up in the arrivals hall at
Gatwick (South, I think, BICBW). I haven't checked more recently than that.
Quite why a Rabbit user would look up there to see if they could use their
phone, I don't understand.

Because that's the sort of place where they used to put the signs (maybe
to mimic the position of the actual hotspot). A new meaning for "line of
sight" perhaps.
Old September 19th 11, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell wrote:
Except we have moved to a world where mobile phones are just as (if not
more) prevalent than landlines.

Not the point. Mobiles can be lost, broken or the battery can die. There
should always be a fallback landline option.

Landlines can be eaten by squirrels. There should always be a fallback
semaphore station.

It might be foggy. There should be a chain of qualified Town Criers in
place just in case.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Old October 3rd 11, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

In message
, at
10:53:11 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Perhaps the most pertinent point is that no telecoms company has as
yet installed any mobile access on the LU network, even just on
stations

Wrong. Rabbit installed base stations at many Underground stations. I'm
not sure how many, but it was at least Zone 1/2.

Both Finsbury Park and Wood Green had base stations at platform level. I've
use a Motorola Silverlink handset from both.

--
Cheers, Steve.

Old October 3rd 11, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 04:10:57PM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 11, 8:39=A0pm, Roland Perry wrote:
Wrong. Rabbit installed base stations at many Underground stations. I'm
not sure how many, but it was at least Zone 1/2.

Fair point!
I imagine any signage on LU is long gone - but maybe there's something
lurking somewhere? (There's the odd forgotten sign still protruding
from shops in a few places.)

There was still a sign at Holborn a coupla years ago. The only other
one I've seen recently is at Brighton station.

This one at Euston Square is still there...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...9. 52,,0,6.96

--
Cheers, Steve.

Old October 3rd 11, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:24:16 on Mon, 3
Oct 2011, Steve Dulieu remarked:

[Rabbit]

There was still a sign at Holborn a coupla years ago. The only other
one I've seen recently is at Brighton station.

This one at Euston Square is still there...

Excellent, thanks for posting.