Old September 11th 11, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

Default Public internet access on the london underground

In article , Roland Perry
scribeth thus
In message
, at
07:53:32 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Fitting equipment in deep level tunnels however isn't
that easy a proposition - there'd need to be a near enough as can be
100% guarantee that it wouldn't catch fire, nor interfere with any
safety critical LU kit such as signalling or comms, plus there'd be
the very real issue of maintenance access.

They fitted mobile access into the Heathrow Express tunnels years ago.
Also the tunnel on the Oslo airport express. None of the issues you
mention would be special to the London tubes.

Wouldn't be any problem at all Google "leaky feeder" if your interested.

Plenty of it in tunnels already!...
--
Tony Sayer

Old September 11th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

In message
, at
10:53:11 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Perhaps the most pertinent point is that no telecoms company has as
yet installed any mobile access on the LU network, even just on
stations

Wrong. Rabbit installed base stations at many Underground stations. I'm
not sure how many, but it was at least Zone 1/2.
Old September 11th 11, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

On Sep 11, 8:33*pm, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Roland Perry
scribeth thus

In message
, at
07:53:32 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Fitting equipment in deep level tunnels however isn't
that easy a proposition - there'd need to be a near enough as can be
100% guarantee that it wouldn't catch fire, nor interfere with any
safety critical LU kit such as signalling or comms, plus there'd be
the very real issue of maintenance access.

They fitted mobile access into the Heathrow Express tunnels years ago.
Also the tunnel on the Oslo airport express. None of the issues you
mention would be special to the London tubes.

Wouldn't be any problem at all Google "leaky feeder" if your interested.

Plenty of it in tunnels already!...

I know about leaky feeders, but I'd posit that they don't seem to
offer the completely painless trouble free solution that you suggest,
lest it would have happened already. My guess is that the problematic
issue is in installing equipment at the stations to service any leaky
feeders.

The installation of the cross-track video projectors (to project ads
on the far side of the tunnel wall) shows that where there's a will -
i.e. lots of dosh - there's a way, but thus far there doesn't seem to
have been enough of a will/ enough wonga to have make it happen.
Old September 11th 11, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

On Sep 11, 8:39*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
10:53:11 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:

Perhaps the most pertinent point is that no telecoms company has as
yet installed any mobile access on the LU network, even just on
stations

Wrong. Rabbit installed base stations at many Underground stations. I'm
not sure how many, but it was at least Zone 1/2.

Fair point!

I imagine any signage on LU is long gone - but maybe there's something
lurking somewhere? (There's the odd forgotten sign still protruding
from shops in a few places.)

Old September 12th 11, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

Mizter T wrote:
I know about leaky feeders, but I'd posit that they don't seem to
offer the completely painless trouble free solution that you suggest,

I've heard of leaky feeders, but not just how much of a solution they
represent. For instance, do they operate bi-directionally? I have difficulty
imagining that they could pick up sufficient signal directly from phones to
do all the essential handshaking without needing some special equipment on
the trains to act as intermediaries.

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old September 12th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

In message
, at
16:08:34 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:
I know about leaky feeders, but I'd posit that they don't seem to
offer the completely painless trouble free solution that you suggest,
lest it would have happened already. My guess is that the problematic
issue is in installing equipment at the stations to service any leaky
feeders.

There isn't a technical problem with getting coverage into the tunnels,
the issue is that there are so many tunnels that the cost of providing a
public service (in addition to any existing private system) would be
prohibitive.
Old September 12th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

In message
, at
16:10:57 on Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Mizter T remarked:
Rabbit installed base stations at many Underground stations. I'm
not sure how many, but it was at least Zone 1/2.

Fair point!

I imagine any signage on LU is long gone - but maybe there's something
lurking somewhere? (There's the odd forgotten sign still protruding
from shops in a few places.)

The last time I saw a Rabbit sign was a few years ago - in the
passageway from the platforms to the western exit at Earls Court. I
don't know if it's still there.

On the other hand, the world seems littered with defunct Ionica aerials,
and my current rental house has an Ionica termination box on the wall,
but no aerial remaining.
Old September 12th 11, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

In message , at
09:39:11 on Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Mike Coon remarked:
I've heard of leaky feeders, but not just how much of a solution they
represent. For instance, do they operate bi-directionally? I have difficulty
imagining that they could pick up sufficient signal directly from phones to
do all the essential handshaking without needing some special equipment on
the trains to act as intermediaries.

It works fine in the HEx tunnels, and the Oslo equivalent (as commented
on previously).
Old September 12th 11, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:54:19 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
On the other hand, the world seems littered with defunct Ionica aerials,
and my current rental house has an Ionica termination box on the wall,
but no aerial remaining.

There was a BSB squarial on a wall in north finchley up until 2 years ago
when the building was redeveloped.

B2003