Old September 14th 11, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

Default Public internet access on the london underground

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:20:29 +0100
Bruce wrote:
wrote:

I suspect the majority of people on the tube outside rush hour
are tourists and I doubt many of the rest are on their way to meetings.

What about shoppers, people going to/from places of entertainment,

Since when are those activities "meetings"?

people visiting relatives? Do tourists really outnumber the total of
these plus those on their way to/from meetings?

In zone 1 I would think so.

B2003

Old September 14th 11, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

In message , at 15:22:26 on Wed, 14 Sep
2011, d remarked:
Because he's out of the office?

And why would he be out of the office during working hours?

On one hand, people aren't chained to their office during office hours;
on the other hand, I didn't mean "just" office hours.

If he's an on site manager then he'll be with whoever he needs to
manage anyway.

That's a heck of a crystal ball if he can tell where the next train is
going to break down.

Unless he's an on a site. In which case there should
be provision made to contact him.

Mobile phone being the obvious first choice.

Depends where it is.

More sites have mobile phone coverage than a landline whose number you
can discover.

I think you'll find most commuters are just travelling to their desks.

From where they conduct meetings with colleagues.

I don't know what you do but I haven't had a meeting in 4 months.

Last time I had a "9-5" office job they eventually got me to fill in a
timesheet (I knew it would end in tears). It showed that half my time
was spent doing internal things (despite having an outward-facing role)
and much of which were one kind of meeting or other with colleagues,
"suppliers" etc. The external stuff was "real meetings" often three a
day, day after day. Hence my interest in how one gets around (mainly)
London in a hurry!

I suspect the majority of people on the tube outside rush hour
are tourists and I doubt many of the rest are on their way to meetings.

We'll have to agree to differ. But why pick just off-peak for your
mobile phone rant?

So you think the majority of people on in the rush hour have a meeting the
minute they get to work?

They have some interaction with colleagues/suppliers/customers (even if
only by email) that would be missed if they were significantly late for
work.
Old September 14th 11, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

A pedantic Usenet ****ing contest of the highest order. Congratulations to
all concerned.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:32:52 up 4 days, 10 min, 4 users, load average: 0.20, 0.08, 0.10

Old September 14th 11, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom Job Justification Hearings, Tristán White chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

On Sep 12, 9:54 am, Roland Perry wrote:

There isn't a technical problem with getting coverage into the tunnels,
the issue is that there are so many tunnels that the cost of providing a
public service (in addition to any existing private system) would be
prohibitive.

There are two options to this that I can think of.

Here's a (d) that's a bit similar: TFL [or whoever] commission an
underground network [let's call it 'Undernet'], probably financed with nasty
old PFI, which means no duplication of infrastructure [ie one set of kit].
To finance it, it can only be roamed to if your operator agrees, ie you will
pay to use the network via roaming charges as though you were abroad.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:35:55 up 4 days, 1:13, 4 users, load average: 0.09, 0.05, 0.05

Old September 14th 11, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:07:33 +0100

Why would he be? Unless he's an on a site. In which case there should
be provision made to contact him.

.. like having a mobile. I have just signed an employment contract that
*requires* me to have a mobile, at my expense.

--
DAS

Old September 14th 11, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

On 14/09/2011 22:08, D A Stocks wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:07:33 +0100

Why would he be? Unless he's an on a site. In which case there should
be provision made to contact him.

.. like having a mobile. I have just signed an employment contract that
*requires* me to have a mobile, at my expense.

--
DAS

Let's hope the salary compensates...
Old September 14th 11, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:07:33 +0100

Why would he be? Unless he's an on a site. In which case there should
be provision made to contact him.

.. like having a mobile. I have just signed an employment contract that
*requires* me to have a mobile, at my expense.

--
DAS

Let's hope the salary compensates...

I've got a mobile already and I don't want another, and having to run a
contract that enabled me to split out business and private costs sensibly
would be a real pain.

The new salary is about 60% more than the existing job ...
--
DAS

Old September 15th 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:08:45 +0100
"D A Stocks" wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:07:33 +0100

Why would he be? Unless he's an on a site. In which case there should
be provision made to contact him.

.. like having a mobile. I have just signed an employment contract that
*requires* me to have a mobile, at my expense.

If its clearly in the contract before you start then fair enough. Its when
it isn't but they start expecting you to take calls outside working hours
for relatively trivial matters that it becomes a pain.

B2003

Old September 15th 11, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

In message , at 08:19:10 on Thu, 15 Sep
2011, Huge remarked:
So your solution is to break it even more by banning mobile phones?

Where did I say I wanted to ban mobile phones?

Fair enough. So you approve of mobile phone use on trains,

You really *are* a ******, aren't you?

At least I'm not lowering the tone with needlessly offensive language.

No wonder you want to inflict your oh-so-****ing-important (hint: it
isn't) job on all around you.

You have no idea what my job is, but I'd suggest that being able to
contact railway managers so that they can sort out broken down trains is
relatively important, to the people stuck on the trains anyway.
Old September 18th 11, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom,uk.comp.mobile

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 13:11:05 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, George Weston disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

All managers have had to give up their offices and now sit (if they can)
in the general office, and "hot-desk" with everyone else.

I wonder how long it will be until the first person placed a pool
towel on a desk to reserve it for the next day!
--

Cheers

DrT
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).