Old October 3rd 11, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Henleys corner crossing - someone tell me this is a joke

In message
, NM
writes

Thank you, all slipped back into place now, there was a garage on the
corner part of the Henleys chain, they may be still going

Demolished many years ago. Here's the site pictured in 2006:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/187660

--
Paul Terry

Old October 3rd 11, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message
..com of Mon, 3 Oct 2011 04:44:55 in uk.transport.london, NM
writes
On Oct 3, 10:06*am, wrote:
Though I heard about this on LBC this morning too so I suspect it isn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-free-pedestr...
g-devout-Jews-cross-road.html

http://percyweller.wordpress.com/201...be-held-every-...

I would suggest that if these religious nutters really are so hamstrung by
their interpretation of their religion they just stay inside instead of
everyone else being inconvenienced - including probably the large number of
ordinary jews that live in that area.

B2003

I'm having a 'senior moment', although living for years in London I
cannot place Henley's corner, tried google maps but they think it's in
Canada, I remember junction A406 and A5 as Staples Corner (there used
to be a mattress factory there) Is it the junction at Stonebridge Park
just on the other side of the tracks from the Ace Cafe? if so where
was the Henleys (I presume Garage)?

I believe it is more usually written as "Henlys Corner" and is a name
for the junction of the A1 (Falloden Way) and the A406 (North Circular
Road).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_road_%28London%29 has a description.

I was hoping the Jerusalem Bible would have a useful link from Luke
13:15 to the Old Testament. It only gives Ex 20:8-10 which does not make
the point developed in Luke.

While my first reaction was "cobblers", I think I am pleased that TfL is
showing commitment to London's cultural diversity. A 90 second cycle
time for the lights seems likely to be short. (Longer cycles waste
proportionately less green between different phases of the cycle.) It
probably makes sense to link signals controlling the several busy
junctions in this small, complicated, busy area. cf. http://www.scoot-
utc.com/.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old October 3rd 11, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:58:24 +0100, "GT" lied:

"Recliner" wrote in message
wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
This is silly - removing the button doesn't help them to avoid
breaking their law: The religious law prohibits them from using
electricity or operating machinery on the Sabbath. What exactly do
they think the green man is powered by?!!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I think they're not supposed to *cause* work to be done, but can take
advantage of things that are happening anyway.

For example, I was once in a hotel in Jerusalem and on a Friday night,
headed for the lift to go down to the lobby. I noticed a crowd of people
waiting by another lift, but once I hit the button, they were happy to
join me in 'my' lift. Apparently, one lift runs an all-floors stopping
service on the Shabbat, but the others work normally. If a non-Jew like me
pressed the button for one of those lifts, they had no trouble taking
advantage of it.

Of course, once in the lift, none of them would be able to select a floor!!
I'd just take the lift to the top floor and get out.

Why, are you 'anti-semitic'®™?
Old October 3rd 11, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

I would suggest that if these religious nutters really are so hamstrung
by
their interpretation of their religion they just stay inside instead of
everyone else being inconvenienced - including probably the large number
of
ordinary jews that live in that area.

While my first reaction was "cobblers", I think I am pleased that TfL is
showing commitment to London's cultural diversity.

I think differently: we shouldn't pander to *any* religious group's
oddities, whether the religion be Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Jedi or
whatever. No-one deserves special treatment to make allowances for their own
self-imposed rules.

Old October 3rd 11, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Oct 3, 10:06*am, wrote:
[...]

That's just another way of saying "sucking jew rectum".
Old October 3rd 11, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 14:24:19 +0100
Walter Briscoe wrote:
While my first reaction was "cobblers", I think I am pleased that TfL is
showing commitment to London's cultural diversity.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you really believe that liberal left
garbage you just wrote. Please clarify.

A 90 second cycle time for the lights seems likely to be short.

A 90 second cycle will be 90 seconds. Which is not short for an extremely
busy junction like that.

B2003

Old October 3rd 11, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
GT wrote:

Of course, once in the lift, none of them would be able to select a
floor!! I'd just take the lift to the top floor and get out.

LOL, stylish.

In one Tel Aviv hotel I stayed at, there were three lifts, and on Friday
evening, some guy stuck a "Shabat Lift" notice (in Hebrew) on one of
them. It was then set on automatic, and would then go up and down,
stopping at every floor (somewhat annoying if you want to go to the
20th!). Not immediately recognising the Hebrew words, I once made the
mistake of getting into it. I also recall that breakfast on Saturday
morning left a lot to be desired.
--
Ian
Old October 3rd 11, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:06:37 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
GT wrote:

Of course, once in the lift, none of them would be able to select a
floor!! I'd just take the lift to the top floor and get out.

LOL, stylish.

In one Tel Aviv hotel I stayed at, there were three lifts, and on Friday
evening, some guy stuck a "Shabat Lift" notice (in Hebrew) on one of
them. It was then set on automatic, and would then go up and down,
stopping at every floor (somewhat annoying if you want to go to the
20th!). Not immediately recognising the Hebrew words, I once made the
mistake of getting into it. I also recall that breakfast on Saturday
morning left a lot to be desired.

No bacon?
Old October 3rd 11, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
GT GT is offline

"The Revd" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:58:24 +0100, "GT" lied:

"Recliner" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in message

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:02:31 +0100
"GT" wrote:
[...]

To point out how rediculous superstition (religion) can be!

are you 'anti-semitic'®T?

No.