Old October 12th 11, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Platforms with two numbers

"Richard" wrote in message

That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere
that have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?
On the continent, Basel may be an example, for interesting reasons.

Sunderland - 1 & 2, 3 & 4
Newcastle Central 5 & 6, 7 & 8
Bournemouth 3 & 4

Paul S

Old October 12th 11, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 12, 8:17*pm, "Jonathan Morton"
wrote:
"John Salmon" wrote in message

... "Richard" *wrote
That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Gloucester.

Birmingham New Street - 5a, 5b and 4c all on the same platform face.

Regards

Jonathan

Kings Cross suburban platforms all sub-divided: 9a/9b, 10a/10b and 11a/
11b.
Old October 12th 11, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
"John Salmon" wrote in message

... "Richard" *wrote
That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Gloucester.

Birmingham New Street - 5a, 5b and 4c all on the same platform face.

The platform face isn't continuous though.

National Rail would have you believe that Oban's two platforms are
double numbered...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...tml?rtnloc=OBN

.... but they aren't (they're numbered as 3 and 4).
Old October 12th 11, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 12, 8:26*pm, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
Kings Cross suburban platforms all sub-divided: 9a/9b, 10a/10b and 11a/
11b.

The question is about platforms having different *numbers* at each
end, not merely a/b, N/S, etc.
Old October 12th 11, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 12, 8:09*pm, "Railsigns.co.uk" wrote:
On Oct 12, 8:01*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:

"Richard" *wrote

That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Bristol Temple Meads
Edinburgh Waverley
Cambridge

Newcastle
Bournemouth

Old October 12th 11, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In his original post "Richard" asked "Are there any stations in the UK
or elsewhere that have a continuous platform with different numbers at
either end?"

It's many, many years since I lived in those parts but I seem to
remember that a platform that had one end in Manchester Victoria had its
other end in Manchester Exchange.

This sent me to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manches...ailway_station where we
read;

"From 1884, Victoria Station had Manchester Exchange Station, operated
by the rival London and North Western Railway, as a close neighbour, and,
from 1929, a single passenger platform linked them; this was the longest
passenger platform in Europe at 2,194 feet (669 m).
Exchange Station was closed in 1969 and its services were transferred
to Victoria".

DB.

Old October 12th 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
12:28:09 on Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Railsigns.co.uk
remarked:
Birmingham New Street - 5a, 5b and 4c all on the same platform face.

The platform face isn't continuous though.

Just a boring bay, there are hundreds of those.
Old October 12th 11, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2011\10\12 20:44, DB. wrote:
In his original post "Richard" asked "Are there any stations in the UK
or elsewhere that have a continuous platform with different numbers at
either end?"

It's many, many years since I lived in those parts but I seem to
remember that a platform that had one end in Manchester Victoria had its
other end in Manchester Exchange.

This sent me to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manches...ailway_station where we
read;

"From 1884, Victoria Station had Manchester Exchange Station, operated
by the rival London and North Western Railway, as a close neighbour, and,
from 1929, a single passenger platform linked them; this was the longest
passenger platform in Europe at 2,194 feet (669 m).
Exchange Station was closed in 1969 and its services were transferred
to Victoria".

IIRC Chicago has a platform which stretches through about half a dozen
stations.

Old October 12th 11, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Railsigns.co.uk" wrote in message

Birmingham New Street - 5a, 5b and 4c all on the same platform face.

The platform face isn't continuous though.

It's continuous, just not straight :-)

But the oddity I was alluding to in my post is that 4c is on the 5 side of
the 4/5 island - hence it vaguely counts for the purpose of the original
question.

Regards

Jonathan