Old October 13th 11, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Platforms with two numbers

"John Salmon" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote
That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Cambridge?
Gloucester?
--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Old October 13th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:55:38PM +0100, Richard wrote:

That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere
that have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

Edinburgh Waverley. Platforms 19 and 20 at the south end are 2 and 1 at
the north end. I think that 11 (south end) is 7 (north end) as well.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

Immigration: making Britain great since AD43
Old October 13th 11, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:29:30 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"John Salmon" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote
That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Cambridge?
Gloucester?

Sunderland. 1 & 2 on the up line, 3 & 4 down.

--
Frank Erskine
Old October 13th 11, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 12, 9:01*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:
"Richard" *wrote

That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Chicago?

Speaking from memory, Chicago Union Station is basically two terminii
arranged head to head with the passenger handling facilities in the
middle. There are no actual through trains as all Amtrak services
start or end there. One of the outer platforms is continuous though,
with a through track provided to permit ECS moves between the two
station halves, but is operationally used as two separate platforms.
Old October 13th 11, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:57:20 +0100 [UTC], Jonathan Morton wrote:
"Railsigns.co.uk" wrote in message

Birmingham New Street - 5a, 5b and 4c all on the same platform face.

The platform face isn't continuous though.

It's continuous, just not straight :-)

But the oddity I was alluding to in my post is that 4c is on the 5 side of
the 4/5 island - hence it vaguely counts for the purpose of the original
question.

4c is what used to be a loco siding. Had that loco siding not been
there, 5 would have extended the full length.

I don't think you can really claim it to be part of 5; looking at it
from above it's almost like the island has been extended on one side
of end only...
--
Ross

Speaking for me, myself and I. Nobody else
- unless I make it clear that I am...

Old October 13th 11, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:01:27 +0100 [UTC], John Salmon wrote:
"Richard" wrote

That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Until they were renumbered some years ago, Worcester Shrub Bill's down
platform was 1 & 2, and the up platform was 3 & 4.

Old October 13th 11, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Ross" wrote in message

4c is what used to be a loco siding. Had that loco siding not been
there, 5 would have extended the full length.

Yes, they extended it towards the centre of the station, thus taking a bite
out of 5b.

Don't get me wrong - it was a good idea, and usually seems to have a
Brum-Liverpool Desiro in.

Regards

Jonathan

Old October 14th 11, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:09:42 -0700 (PDT), "Railsigns.co.uk"
wrote:

On Oct 12, 8:01*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:
"Richard" *wrote

That makes me wonder, are there any stations in the UK or elsewhere that
have a continuous platform with different numbers at either end?

York 3 & 4 (under the previous numbering, it was 8a and 8b, the only
sub-divided platform there).

Bristol Temple Meads
Edinburgh Waverley
Cambridge

Bristol Temple Meads has five such platforms faces:
3+4, 5+6, 7+8, 9+10, 11+12

....and a missing platform 14 ?

Old October 14th 11, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:57:42 +0100, Ross wrote:

Until they were renumbered some years ago, Worcester Shrub Bill's down
platform was 1 & 2, and the up platform was 3 & 4.

Thanks for all the replies. There are *many* more than I thought!

Richard.
Old October 14th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:27:00 +0100
Richard wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:57:42 +0100, Ross wrote:

Until they were renumbered some years ago, Worcester Shrub Bill's down
platform was 1 & 2, and the up platform was 3 & 4.

Thanks for all the replies. There are *many* more than I thought!

Did anyone mention Cambridge?

B2003