Old January 7th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Do you live above a tube tunnel?

Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a report in
March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had sunk by the odd
centimetre.

--
Richard J.

Old January 7th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Some long time ago, the Glass Manufacturers Federation had their offices in
Portland Place.

When in the basement, you could just about hear the Bakerloo line trains
passing below.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old January 7th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:51:01 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper"
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Some long time ago, the Glass Manufacturers Federation had their offices in
Portland Place.

When in the basement, you could just about hear the Bakerloo line trains
passing below.

You can certainly hear a few feet down to the Hammersmith and City
from the toilets in the Euston Flyer! I seem to recall a friend saying
something similar about somewhere in the centre of town above the
Central Line though...

--
Rob
Old January 7th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

If so, do you experience any noise and vibration?

As a child I regularly visited the cinema in Turnpike Lane, and the
Piccadilly trains were quite audible. Tunnel, track and train construction
have improved since then, though, but you can still hear Victoria Line
trains while standing on the (overground) platforms at Drayton Park.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 7th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a report in
March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had sunk by the odd
centimetre.

--
Richard J.

Used to live right above the Central Line on Shepherds Bush Green. I lived
on the first floor but the noise from the passing trains below was very
evident in the evenings (I believe the trains went around a bend below so
the noise was probably worse).

The Central line, however, is almost certainly much closer to the surface
than Crossrail will be. Also Crossrail can be constructed with noise
dampening measures built into the track bed, and the track is bound to be
continuously welded, so I would guess the noise problem will be much, much
less.

Colin

Old January 7th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Terry Harper wrote:

Some long time ago, the Glass Manufacturers Federation had their offices in
Portland Place.

When in the basement, you could just about hear the Bakerloo line trains
passing below.

You can also hear them from certain parts of the basement of Shell
Centre (York Road, Waterloo). The building is constructed on a concrete
raft, which is said to come within a few feet of the Bakerloo tunnel.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).
Old January 7th 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a report in
March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had sunk by the odd
centimetre.

My sister's house is above the Central Line tunnels and you can hear a
very low rumbling sound when all else is quiet - it is almost felt
rather than heard. They are used to it but when I stay the night the
first train in the morning sometimes wakes me up. The house is about
100 years old and some cracks and settlement were noted by the
surveyor when they bought it - but nothing serious or unusual for a
property of that age.

She also has the DLR running behind her back garden and a bus garage
at the front - but she seems to be happy there!

In addition to the widely reported 'disappearance into the void' of a
number of back gardens in Stratford there are also apparaently cracks
appearing in properties in Romford Road above the Channel Tunnel Rail
Link. Apparently the official response is that the tunneling may well
have caused limited ground settlement and Union Railways have offered
to survey the properties and repair any damage caused by this.
Old January 7th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Rob
id writes
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

Some long time ago, the Glass Manufacturers Federation had their offices in
Portland Place.

When in the basement, you could just about hear the Bakerloo line trains
passing below.

You can certainly hear a few feet down to the Hammersmith and City
from the toilets in the Euston Flyer! I seem to recall a friend saying
something similar about somewhere in the centre of town above the
Central Line though...

I used to work in Yalding House in Gt Portland St, and you could hear
the Victoria line in the basement...

And I remember the old (now demolished) cinema at Turnpike Lane, where I
saw Earthquake, with it's special seat-shaking sound, and only realised
that the vibrations I'd been feeling were not the special effects but
tube trains sometime into the film, as they shook the seats more than
the special effects....

--
Steve
Old January 7th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:26:15 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Some residents who live above the proposed line of the Crossrail tunnels
are concerned about possible noise and vibration in their homes when the
trains are running. Is there anyone on utl who lives or works directly
above an existing tube (not sub-surface) tunnel? If so, do you experience
any noise and vibration?

I don't live above a tube tunnel. However the Crossrail tunnels are
likely to be far deeper than tube tunnels. They will also be constructed
to far higher standards than any tube line in London barring the recent
DLR and JLE tunnels. While I don't think anyone can provide a guarantee
that there will be no noise I would say the risk from modern
infrastructure design and modern rolling stock will be low. Obvious
areas of potential environmental harm will have to be identified and
mitigated / removed in order for the project to proceed.

Similarly, have you had any cracks and subsidence? There was a report in
March 2002 that the land above the line of the JLE had sunk by the odd
centimetre.

Not aware of any JLE subsidence but there are provisions in the
legislation that allowed construction to put right any damage that is
demonstrably caused by the line. Such provisions are standard practice
and usually put in place to deal with issues raised by objectors to the
scheme.
--
Paul C