Old January 11th 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OY.....ster

Hey.
I believe Hizzonor The Mayuh is on BBC Radio London`s John Gaunt show
tomorow and Gaunty is seeking questions,observations or just mad stuff to
put to the fellow on-air.
This represents an ideal opportunity to find out if the Capitals First
Citizen is fully au-fait with OYster or whether like many within TfL he is
simply "Sucking and Seeing"...?

Old January 11th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Alek
writes
Hey.
I believe Hizzonor The Mayuh is on BBC Radio London`s John Gaunt show
tomorow and Gaunty is seeking questions,observations or just mad stuff to
put to the fellow on-air.
This represents an ideal opportunity to find out if the Capitals First
Citizen is fully au-fait with OYster or whether like many within TfL he is
simply "Sucking and Seeing"...?

I would suggest that what we have on this newsgroup is pretty unique.
Not only do we have a regular poster who was part of the Oyster design
but we also have a (bit touchy) front line staff member who is trying to
make sense of the Oyster rules.

The fact that both of them are finding it confusing tells me that it is
unrealistic to expect Ken to know any more than what the PR releases
tell him. (Which as we all know - is not a lot!)

--
Bob Adams (email to )

Old January 11th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

All very true,but its sometimes nice to watch a Kebab being cut from the
side of the rotating carcass........!!

Old January 11th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Bob Adams
writes
I would suggest that what we have on this newsgroup is pretty unique.
Not only do we have a regular poster who was part of the Oyster design
but we also have a (bit touchy) front line staff member who is trying to
make sense of the Oyster rules.

I *do* hope you really meant touchy-feelie front line staff member.
The only time I've taken exception to someone's attitude while replying
to an Oyster question was when I was blatantly told I was talking
*absolute rubbish*
Would you be able to reply to that with equanimity?
(Hmm, maybe you've just made a self-fulfilling prophecy ;-))

The fact that both of them are finding it confusing tells me that it is
unrealistic to expect Ken to know any more than what the PR releases
tell him. (Which as we all know - is not a lot!)

I can't say I find it particularly confusing, mostly because we have
brilliant ticket office staff who take the time to explain new
procedures to me even though I don't have the training for their work.
I always try to get good up-to-date information from them, from the
helpline and from just about anywhere available to me, before I post
anything.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old January 11th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Adams wrote:

In message , Alek
writes
Hey.
I believe Hizzonor The Mayuh is on BBC Radio London`s John Gaunt show
tomorow and Gaunty is seeking questions,observations or just mad stuff to
put to the fellow on-air.
This represents an ideal opportunity to find out if the Capitals First
Citizen is fully au-fait with OYster or whether like many within TfL he is
simply "Sucking and Seeing"...?

I would suggest that what we have on this newsgroup is pretty unique.

but we also have a (bit touchy) front line staff member

I don't think that's very fair.

Old January 11th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I would suggest that what we have on this newsgroup is pretty unique.
Not only do we have a regular poster who was part of the Oyster design
but we also have a (bit touchy) front line staff member who is trying
to make sense of the Oyster rules.

The fact that both of them are finding it confusing tells me that it
is unrealistic to expect Ken to know any more than what the PR
releases tell him. (Which as we all know - is not a lot!)

As an ex-Londoner watching from foreign parts (Germany), it's interesting to
see how many people have parted with good money for something they don't
know all that much about and then ask here for advice from others who do
know; some through their own experience and others because they are helpful
chappies and chappesses :-) . Am I wrong, or is it a bit like buying a car
with an Automatic Transmission and then taking it back because it won't
drive itself? If one buys a camera or PC or something that needs a bit of
explaining then surely one doesn't leave the shop without feeling confident
that one can use it without having to refer to the instruction manual each
time.
Still, that's just my observation from a distance, maybe Oyster (2nd
generation) will be better!

Paul B.

Old January 11th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Damned Boche...!!!

Old January 12th 04, 01:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:29:29 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

Bob Adams wrote:

In message , Alek
writes
Hey.
I believe Hizzonor The Mayuh is on BBC Radio London`s John Gaunt show
tomorow and Gaunty is seeking questions,observations or just mad stuff to
put to the fellow on-air.
This represents an ideal opportunity to find out if the Capitals First
Citizen is fully au-fait with OYster or whether like many within TfL he is
simply "Sucking and Seeing"...?

I would suggest that what we have on this newsgroup is pretty unique.

but we also have a (bit touchy) front line staff member

I don't think that's very fair.

Or accurate...

Cheers,

Jason.
Old January 12th 04, 05:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat typed

I can't say I find it particularly confusing, mostly because we have
brilliant ticket office staff who take the time to explain new
procedures to me even though I don't have the training for their work.
I always try to get good up-to-date information from them, from the
helpline and from just about anywhere available to me, before I post
anything.

I just wish I could say that for my local ticket staff...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 12th 04, 06:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:23:19 +0000, Bob Adams
wrote:

In message , Alek
writes
Hey.
I believe Hizzonor The Mayuh is on BBC Radio London`s John Gaunt show
tomorow and Gaunty is seeking questions,observations or just mad stuff to
put to the fellow on-air.
This represents an ideal opportunity to find out if the Capitals First
Citizen is fully au-fait with OYster or whether like many within TfL he is
simply "Sucking and Seeing"...?

I would suggest that what we have on this newsgroup is pretty unique.
Not only do we have a regular poster who was part of the Oyster design
but we also have a (bit touchy) front line staff member who is trying to
make sense of the Oyster rules.

Err who was on the project team over 5 years ago and who has not had
access to the latest design documentation. I understand the theory of
the system but do not know the "as designed" detail. The people who are
posing questions often ask on the basis of a detailed personal scenario.

The fact that both of them are finding it confusing tells me that it is
unrealistic to expect Ken to know any more than what the PR releases
tell him. (Which as we all know - is not a lot!)

Actually I would expect John Gaunt to keep the issues broad and generic
and not put Ken in the position of answering a detailed Oyster Card
problem on air. Having read the transcript of the last show that seemed
to be the general way he runs these telephone chat sessions.
--
Paul C