Old January 11th 12, 09:44 AM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

Default bus partitions

On Jan 10, 11:13*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
On Jan 10, 6:11*pm, "
wrote:

On 09/01/2012 21:33, wrote:

On Jan 9, 10:30 am, *wrote:
While people at ATMs are usually doing fast transactions, there are
usually more of them on line than there are on a teller's line.
Unfortunately, when you get on a teller line, you usually are behind
some bozo who wants to do 6 months of banking in one visit.

I always thought that this just happens with me, especially when I just
want to complete one very quick transaction or buy one postage stamp.

Banks sell stamps?

The ATMs at TD Bank sell stamps.

Chris

Old January 11th 12, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ToD - was bus partitions

In message , at 10:43:54 on Wed, 11
Jan 2012, Peter Campbell Smith remarked:
Maybe they like you. My experience has ranged from "it's the Internet
and nothing to do with us" to having to go back home to get more ID
than a [different] credit card plus photo driving licence.

That's ridiculous. They can have no legitimate need for more
identification than a machine needs. Did you complain to the TOC
involved?

I should add that I have since collected other ToD tickets from a
Cambridge ticket window.

I collected a ticket from the window at a Southern station recently. It
isn't one of the busier stations on the network and the chap was happy to
help.

He didn't ask for any identification or credit card, but just asked my
surname. He typed that into his machine and read out various ticket
purchases made by me going back several months -- and several made by my
(grown up) children. He then put on his spectacles and read the reference
number from my printout, found the right tickets and printed them out.

The problem isn't recovering the booking and printing the tickets (they
did that before we got to the next stage) it's deciding if they are
going to give them to the customer. In my case they decided not, put
them in an envelope "behind the counter" and sent me off to get some
better ID. Whether they were "deliberately being difficult" or "fighting
fraud, which costs us all money" is a moveable feast.
Old January 11th 12, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:42:42
on Wed, 11 Jan 2012, remarked:
They can have no legitimate need for more
identification than a machine needs.

Which in this case was the card used to make the booking, which I
didn't have.

Well, yes, that was inadvisable of you.

Read the long version at:

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.r...fc3dbeb9?hl=en

(I was mis-remembering slightly, yesterday - they wouldn't take a
photo-driving licence, and/or the order confirmation, as ID; and I had
to go home to fetch the correct credit card).
Old January 11th 12, 02:50 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 10, 10:44*pm, Bolwerk wrote:

I don't know if it's different in the UK, but free banking here is
generally just a way to soak the poor. *For most people, it comes with
no interest return and nearly usurious fees.

In the US, banks once made 90% of their income from interest charged
on loans and 10% from service fees. But now it's 50% each. Fees have
become a profit center in their own right.

In 1979 Congress passed* a banking deregulation act. This removed the
wall between savings and commercial banks and other regulations. IMHO
that led to the subsequent S&L scandals of the 1980s and more recent
bank failures. (What amazed me was that no one learned from the S&L
scandals and the problems merely reported themselves only 20 years
later.)

*People blame this on Reagan, but it was passed during Carter's Adm.