Old March 16th 12, 08:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 16/03/2012 17:18, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

We still have HMS Illustrious, though she's not in commission.

Yes she is.

Illustrious remains in service until some time in 2014, when Ocean will
become the only operational carrier.

I thought she was still under refit, must have completed it.

About 6/7 months ago. My son was on it during the refit.

Paul

Old March 16th 12, 09:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16/03/2012 21:52, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 16/03/2012 17:18, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

We still have HMS Illustrious, though she's not in commission.

Yes she is.

Illustrious remains in service until some time in 2014, when Ocean will
become the only operational carrier.

I thought she was still under refit, must have completed it.

About 6/7 months ago. My son was on it during the refit.

Looks like she'll be back in refit!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17407435

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old March 16th 12, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

OTOH, were people expecting war with Germany in the mid-1930s, or the
1900s? It was a possibility, at least for rabble-rousers, but not an
expectation.

Definitely in the mid-1930s.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 17th 12, 05:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 16, 11:30*pm, wrote:
In article ,

(Arthur Figgis) wrote:
OTOH, were people expecting war with Germany in the mid-1930s, or the
1900s? It was a possibility, at least for rabble-rousers, but not an
expectation.

Definitely in the mid-1930s.

Germany is not an issue.

However, there are several tension points around the globe. The world
is reshaping rapidly.

Old March 17th 12, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 16/03/2012 17:18, Paul Scott wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

We still have HMS Illustrious, though she's not in commission.

Yes she is.

Illustrious remains in service until some time in 2014, when Ocean will
become the only operational carrier.

Paul

What happens if al-Qaeda invade when she is anchored in the Thames to
police the Olympics?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman
Old March 17th 12, 08:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 16/03/2012 20:46, Peter Masson wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote

We still have HMS Illustrious, though she's not in commission.

We also have one commissioned battleship - HMS Victory.

Peter

But where can you get salt pork and biscuits today?

Old March 17th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

Looks like she'll be back in refit!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17407435

For a few hours or days.

Articles like that really need to get a grip on reality - minor collision
damage, or 'berthing incidents' (often with tugs unfamiliar with the type of
vessel) happens all the time, to both warships and merchant ships.

Much ado about nothing to be honest...

Paul