Old April 11th 12, 02:20 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:12:14 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 00:24:07 on
Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Charles Ellson remarked:
In my previous 1920's house there were two of the large rectangular
pressed steel manhole covers in my drive. The one nearest the road was
already the water company's responsibility and the other remains the
householder's responsibility. I wonder how big a dent in the cover is
required before you can require the water company to replace them?

pedant
sewerage company
/pedant
(one all ?)

No, because both were the responsibility of the same company - Severn
Trent Water.

Which is both a sewerage and a water company;

They call themselves "Severn Trent Water", not "Severn Trent Water and
Sewerage" or "Severn Trent Sewerage".

There are also companies with names including Fanny Trollopes and the
Knob Shop.

Therefore it's polite (as well as
correct) to refer to them as they refer to themselves - a water company.

They do ? :-
"Severn Trent Water is a member of the Severn Trent Group of
companies. Severn Trent plc is an international utility services and
environmental solutions company."

They also don't appear to describe themselves as a water company when
they only take the used stuff away or when flogging the end product of
their "biosolids recycling" [sic].

(Perhaps I should mention the name Veolia to keep things
simultaneously on-topic and off-topic ?)

the distinction is important when they connect their pipework to your
house.

Not in my case.

In my case two different companies are involved.

And you made an erroneous assumption that the same applied to myself.

No, I assumed that you have both mains water and a connection to a
public sewer.

Old April 11th 12, 08:01 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 03:20:32 on
Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Charles Ellson remarked:
Therefore it's polite (as well as
correct) to refer to them as they refer to themselves - a water company.

They do ? :-
"Severn Trent Water is a member of the Severn Trent Group of
companies.

Don't be obtuse.

I have their bill here, with a logo at the top: Severn Trent Water.

On the bill it refers to "Charges for the water supply, used water and
surface water drainage services". Three lots of water!

the distinction is important when they connect their pipework to your
house.

Not in my case.

In my case two different companies are involved.

And you made an erroneous assumption that the same applied to myself.

No, I assumed that you have both mains water and a connection to a
public sewer.

You assumed there was a distinction between the companies providing
water and sewerage. There isn't - it's the same company.
Old April 11th 12, 11:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:01:41 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 03:20:32 on
Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Charles Ellson remarked:
Therefore it's polite (as well as
correct) to refer to them as they refer to themselves - a water company.

They do ? :-
"Severn Trent Water is a member of the Severn Trent Group of
companies.

Don't be obtuse.

I have their bill here, with a logo at the top: Severn Trent Water.

Logos don't count, company numbers do.

On the bill it refers to "Charges for the water supply, used water and
surface water drainage services". Three lots of water!

the distinction is important when they connect their pipework to your
house.

Not in my case.

In my case two different companies are involved.

And you made an erroneous assumption that the same applied to myself.

No, I assumed that you have both mains water and a connection to a
public sewer.

You assumed there was a distinction between the companies providing
water and sewerage. There isn't - it's the same company.

You assume they aren't provided by different subsidiaries covered by
the same brand.
Old April 12th 12, 07:30 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:00:02 on
Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Charles Ellson remarked:
wrote:

[...]

Getting back to tunnelling (or digging, anyway), have you reached
Australia yet? Or are all your straw men getting in the way
Old April 12th 12, 09:52 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

--

A straight line, down from the UK, takes one to New Zealand I
believe. One wonders about gravity at the core, :-). Crossrail 1024

Old April 12th 12, 10:18 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, 77002 wrote:

A straight line, down from the UK, takes one to New Zealand I believe.

I have always been taught that New Zealand is at the antipodes of Italy
(also because both might somehow resemble a boot, with the heel on
opposite sides of course).

But it looks like we are both wrong, The antipodes of New Zealand are in
Spain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes !

(you may count that as UK if you consider Gibraltar :-))
Old April 12th 12, 12:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, 77002 wrote:
A straight line, down from the UK, takes one to New Zealand I believe.

I have always been taught that New Zealand is at the antipodes of Italy
(also because both might somehow resemble a boot, with the heel on
opposite sides of course).

But it looks like we are both wrong, The antipodes of New Zealand are in
Spain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes !

(you may count that as UK if you consider Gibraltar :-))

Gibraltar is not part of the UK which is the United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland. Gibraltar is neither a part of Great
Britain nor of Northern Ireland.

I suspect that the 'Antipodes' page on Wikipedia was probably written
by a Spaniard or someone from a Spanish speaking country. ;-)

Old April 12th 12, 02:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2012\04\12 11:18, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, 77002 wrote:

A straight line, down from the UK, takes one to New Zealand I believe.

I have always been taught that New Zealand is at the antipodes of Italy
(also because both might somehow resemble a boot, with the heel on
opposite sides of course).

The heels are actually on the same side, if you look at the Antipodes
map closely. If New Zealand was moved over a bit, it would match Italy
rather well.
Old April 13th 12, 12:06 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

A straight line, down from the UK, takes one to New Zealand I
believe.

As others have noted, not exactly.

One wonders about gravity at the core, :-)

Inside a sphere of uniform density, the force of gravity is proportional
to distance from the center. In other words, if you descend straight
down at a uniform speed, your weight decreases at a steady rate until
it reaches zero at the center. Then for the second half of the trip,
it increases at the same rate but, of course, with the opposite direction
as "down".

The Earth's deeper layers are somewhat denser than the rest, so that
pattern wouldn't be followed exactly, but it's close enough to the true
picture.

For an off-center tunnel, like from the UK to NZ, in the middle part of
trip the direction of "down" would rotate continuously through 180 degrees
without your weight ever decreasing all the way to zero.

Hope this helps. :-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "If it's on TV, it has to be true!
(I read that on the Internet.)"