Old November 26th 12, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:14:23
on Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
I can imagine our Roland stopping on a nice straight road, on a bus stop
(no
layby!) when a bus comes along, and stops next to his car, with the front
of
the bus close to the kerb in front of his cae, back of the bus close to
the
kerb behind his car, and middle of the bus out in the middle of the road
next to his car.

As I'm only stopping to let someone out, by the time I've seen the bus
coming I'll have dumped the passenger off and be beating a retreat.

You are surely not going to pull out with the bus starting to pass you?

--
PR

Old November 26th 12, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:01:02 on Mon, 26
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:
As an extension of the prohibitions I have noticed bus lanes in
various places now being signed as for buses on local stage
services only, ie private mini-buses and long-distance and
excursion coaches can't use them.

e.g. Bargate Street, Southampton.

Not to mention a *lot* in London, which are labelled for TfL vehicles
only.

How often are there rail-replacement buses in London, rather than
ticket-acceptance on stage buses and alternative rail routes? (Genuine
question).

In my experience, in the area controlled by TfL, there are a number of
rail replacement services every weekend for scheduled maintenance,
especially on the edge of the network, and a few each week to cover for
emergencies, such as line closures caused by suicides. Rail tickets and
travel cards are also normally accepted on normal bus services along the
route. Then again, the situation in London is unique in the UK, as all
public transport in Greater London is controlled or licenced by TfL.

If there are, I'd expect them to stop at least at every station, which
are generally closer together than the 5-10 miles out here in the country.

They do indeed stop at the stations served by the trains they are
replacing, and nowhere else. Some run stopping, and some run express.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 26th 12, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 26/11/2012 14:52, Portsmouth Rider wrote:
"Graeme wrote in message

As an extension of the prohibitions I have noticed bus lanes in various
places now being signed as for buses on local stage services only, ie
private mini-buses and long-distance and excursion coaches can't use them.

e.g. Bargate Street, Southampton.

That I hadn't noticed, and that's my home territory!

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 26th 12, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 26/11/2012 15:05, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:01:02 on Mon, 26
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:
As an extension of the prohibitions I have noticed bus lanes in
various places now being signed as for buses on local stage services
only, ie private mini-buses and long-distance and excursion coaches
can't use them.

e.g. Bargate Street, Southampton.

Not to mention a *lot* in London, which are labelled for TfL vehicles
only.

How often are there rail-replacement buses in London, rather than
ticket-acceptance on stage buses and alternative rail routes? (Genuine
question).

Not many in the centre I expect as there are plenty of alternatives.
Further out I've seen, and travelled on, RRS instead of the Northern
Line and around Wembley. And yes the Northern Line buses did visit
every station.

Just for the hell of it, here's a photo of a Rail Replacement bus at
Wembley operating for Chiltern trains between Wembley Stadium and High
Wycombe some years back.

www.greywall.demon.co.uk/RRSbus.jpg

Old November 26th 12, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 26/11/2012 15:37, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:14:23 on Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
I can imagine our Roland stopping on a nice straight road, on a bus
stop (no
layby!) when a bus comes along, and stops next to his car, with the
front of
the bus close to the kerb in front of his cae, back of the bus close
to the
kerb behind his car, and middle of the bus out in the middle of the road
next to his car.

As I'm only stopping to let someone out, by the time I've seen the bus
coming I'll have dumped the passenger off and be beating a retreat.

mode="stirring it"

If you let a passenger out where you shouldn't be stopped, would you be
insured?

/mode

Old November 26th 12, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 26/11/2012 17:03, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 26/11/2012 15:37, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:14:23 on Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
I can imagine our Roland stopping on a nice straight road, on a bus
stop (no
layby!) when a bus comes along, and stops next to his car, with the
front of
the bus close to the kerb in front of his cae, back of the bus close
to the
kerb behind his car, and middle of the bus out in the middle of the road
next to his car.

Just reread that, triple articulated bendy-bus I assume?

Old November 26th 12, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Graeme wrote in message

As an extension of the prohibitions I have noticed bus lanes in various
places now being signed as for buses on local stage services only, ie
private mini-buses and long-distance and excursion coaches can't use
them.

e.g. Bargate Street, Southampton.

That I hadn't noticed, and that's my home territory!

Go to Google Earth, street view, approach Bargate Street from the east side
(from Queensway) and you will see the signs just past Vincents Walk in
Hanover Buildings. Its a NO ENTRY red disk type sign, with EXCEPT LOCAL
BUSES on a plate below it. Blueline can't even go through if not in
service, unless they are going to start service inside the prohibited area.

Old November 26th 12, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 26/11/2012 17:03, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 26/11/2012 15:37, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:14:23 on Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
I can imagine our Roland stopping on a nice straight road, on a bus
stop (no
layby!) when a bus comes along, and stops next to his car, with the
front of
the bus close to the kerb in front of his cae, back of the bus close
to the
kerb behind his car, and middle of the bus out in the middle of the
road
next to his car.

Just reread that, triple articulated bendy-bus I assume?

No. Just single normal articulated.

Sequence is:
Approach miscreant car about 1'6" clearance
Watch mirror covering centre door
As soon as miscreant car shows through glass in centre door, full lock left
Front of bus goes left
Middle of bus goes right (tailswing of front part with respect to centre
axle) taking front of back part right
Back of bus goes left nearly, but not QUITE as much, as front of bus.

Miscreant car is now caught in "V" thus formed.

Bus driver does crossword, has cup of tea out of flask, reads paper till its
time to ge

On departu
Full right lock without moving (don't tell the tyre fitters)
Drive forward
Front of bus goes right
Middle goes left
Back goes right

Straighten up when both halves of bus are in line.

Gives miscreant car driver the collywobbles!!!

__
PR

Old November 26th 12, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:56:23
on Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:
Tough.

Yes, we get the message. It's tough being a rail passenger. Tougher than
it need be because of the jobsworths in charge.

On yer bike!!
(but not on a rail replacement bus.....)

)

--
PR

Old November 26th 12, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
.
net, at 10:24:29 on Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
work from station forecourts, which presumably means they can stop
wherever they like. But not always; the frequent ones at Nottingham
station
line up in the taxi rank over-flow down the side of the station.

I wonder how legal that is? (The signs say "No Waiting, except Taxis",
and those buses are definitely waiting, rather than stopping.)

Is the forecourt private land?

Yes, but at Nottingham they don't use the forecourt (the entrances and
exits are a bit tight, as well as being full of cars and taxis all the
time). They wait in the overflow taxi-rank down the side of the station.
Which is an ordinary public road.

If so its owners have the right to waive or change the restrictions if
they wish.

They can't waive no-waiting zones on public roads.

No, but the Local Authority can. Especially if the rail people ask them to,
for a good reason.