Old November 25th 12, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Arthur Figgis wrote:
So can we get Bor-is and Ke-n banged up because replacement buses use the
normal bus stops at one of my local stations?

No, because they are certain to be the TOC authorised stopping points for
those services, and approved by the Powers That Be under agreements made
prior to the replacement service operating, often *years* before the
service operated. There are plans for this sort of thing in place at all
the TOC offices and these are drawn up in conjunction with the
authorities, and in the case of London, all these are known about and have
to be registered with TfL.

And, Ar-thur, it has not escaped our notice, although it may have escaped
yours, that Ken has only one syllable. )

Old November 25th 12, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:07:02 on
Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Why don't you just give up? after all, even YOU must be able to see that you
are on a hiding to nothing. Wibbling about it on Usenet won't change
anything. Write and complain to the rail operator, and waste THEIR time.

He never, ever does give up regardless of what has been said.

This is something I feel quite strongly about, but in the face of a
stone wall of "we are happy to screw the passengers, and cause them even
more inconvenience" we have at least established what the industry's
stance is.
Old November 25th 12, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:01:56 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:
Head - desk The only vehicle that is allowed to stop at a bus stop
is a bus on a service licenced to use that stop.

Cars and vans are allowed to stop there as well. Only if there's a "No
Stopping" plate is a bus stop exclusively for the use of buses.
Old November 25th 12, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:07:35 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, John Williamson remarked:

If you stop on a bus stop with a private car, you can be prosecuted for
obstructing the stop and obstructing the highway.

If you park or "wait", perhaps. But not if you "stop" (which is the
technical expression for pausing to let passengers in/out).

Even then it's not guaranteed. At my last house there was a bus stop
almost outside, and cars would regularly park there all day. This was
completely ignored by police/wardens etc.

Read the Highway Code.

Para 215 only talks about "Bus stop clearways", not regular bus stops.
Old November 25th 12, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

--

See Highway Code Rule 243.

Old November 25th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2012 22:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:39:12 on Sat, 24
Nov 2012, Graeme Wall remarked:

"Second tree from the station" then. Still a muddy grass verge.

But an official muddy grass verge.

I'd love to see the risk assessment that said it was safer for the
passengers than a lit bus stop on the High Street.

Another of your straw men.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 25th 12, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 25/11/2012 08:58, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:07:02 on
Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:
Why don't you just give up? after all, even YOU must be able to see
that you
are on a hiding to nothing. Wibbling about it on Usenet won't change
anything. Write and complain to the rail operator, and waste THEIR time.

He never, ever does give up regardless of what has been said.

This is something I feel quite strongly about, but in the face of a
stone wall of "we are happy to screw the passengers, and cause them even
more inconvenience" we have at least established what the industry's
stance is.

No, we have. exaustively, established that is the tantrum you are
throwing because they won't accede to your whims.

Old November 25th 12, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 24/11/2012 19:40, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.transport.london messagebYGdnfZVAsq0yDPNnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightv
iew.com, Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:39:21, Portsmouth Rider
posted:

Absolutely. Same sort of thing happens on Rail Replacement trips...
passengers want to be let off all over the place, when the contract is for
either actual railway station forecourts, or suitable SPECIFIED bus stops on
the main road nearby. I've actually had passengers forcing the emergency
door at traffic lights. And once you allow one passenger a unspecified stop,
they all want one - when you have to get the bus (and through passengers) on
to the station where the train set has been nailed together again, with the
minimum of delay.....

An intelligent Rail Replacement system would have, defined in the
contract, a limited number of additional non-railway-station stops, at
existing major transport interchanges, where such existed on the best
route from station to station or another route almost as good. The
stops would be chosen to maximise the expected overall customer
satisfaction.

But wouldn't necessarily include the corner of Roland's road.

Old November 25th 12, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/11/2012 14:28, Portsmouth Rider wrote:

d) ensure he had provided seating capacity to carry both the rail
passengers
(who would frequently fill one or more vehicles) and the anticipated
numbers
who might reasonably wish to board en-route

f) run the bus at the times stated in the Timetable

Should they not be doing these anyway?

Yes, a local bus should.

But a bus on Rail Replacement does not.

(It does in theory: but the timings of a RSS are dependant on the arrival of
trains at a station, the numbers on board that train, and the availabilty of
actual busses in the station yard - they might still be on their way back
from the opposite journey.) Similarly: the departure of trains from the end
of a bustitution link is a function of the buses arrival at the station plus
time for the people to make the transfer. No pre-published timetable for a
bustitution can be RELIED ON and so it cannot really function as a LBS.