Old November 6th 09, 08:02 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Baker St. memorial.

On Nov 6, 12:50*pm, Bruc wrote:
A letter appears in The Telegraph today saying:

SIR - In Baker Street underground station, a fine marble war memorial is
passed by thousands every day. It is now dirty and decrepit.

A friendly Transport for London official told me that the cost of repair
was unaffordable at £10,000. I told him I would polish the big brass
shield, whose engraving is scarcely legible for filth. He said he would
do it himself, in a week or so. Lest he forget, before Remembrance
Sunday, I shall be there with my Brasso.

Penrose Halson

The Great Central war memorial appears to be well looked after by the
members of the Great Central Society
http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p58236561.html

Indeed it is. Although I believe it has moved from its original site
at Sheffield. Saddly the GCR's other memorial 6165 "Valour" is no
longer with us.

Old November 7th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Nov 6, 9:02�pm, E27002 wrote:
On Nov 6, 12:50�pm, Bruc wrote:

A letter appears in The Telegraph today saying:

SIR - In Baker Street underground station, a fine marble war memorial is
passed by thousands every day. It is now dirty and decrepit.

A friendly Transport for London official told me that the cost of repair
was unaffordable at �10,000. I told him I would polish the big brass
shield, whose engraving is scarcely legible for filth. He said he would
do it himself, in a week or so. Lest he forget, before Remembrance
Sunday, I shall be there with my Brasso.

Penrose Halson

The Great Central war memorial appears to be well looked after by the
members of the Great Central Society
http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p58236561.html

Indeed it is. �Although I believe it has moved from its original site
at Sheffield. �Saddly the GCR's other memorial 6165 "Valour" is no
longer with us.- Hide quoted text -

The encoraging news is that someone wrote a letter to the "Telegraph
about this during the week, and said that the T.F.L. staff member he
spoke to said he would be personally polishing the plaque before
Sunday. The letter-writer also added that he'd be turning up with his
tin of Brasso, just in case the staff member forgot to do it!

M.M.
Old November 7th 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Nov 7, 11:53*am, " wrote:

SIR - In Baker Street underground station, a fine marble war memorial is
passed by thousands every day. It is now dirty and decrepit.
A friendly Transport for London official told me that the cost of repair
was unaffordable at 10,000. I told him I would polish the big brass
shield, whose engraving is scarcely legible for filth. He said he would
do it himself, in a week or so. Lest he forget, before Remembrance
Sunday, I shall be there with my Brasso.

The encoraging news is that someone wrote a letter to the "Telegraph
about this during the week, and said that the T.F.L. staff member he
spoke to said he would be personally polishing the plaque before
Sunday. The letter-writer also added that he'd be turning up with his
tin of Brasso, just in case the staff member forgot to do it!

What is the point of restating everthing that was in the OP msg in
this thread ?

--
Nick
Old November 7th 09, 12:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009, D7666 wrote:

What is the point of restating everthing that was in the OP msg in
this thread ?

Probably because the original message was not posted in two of the news
groups that replies have now been cross-posted to.

(Cross-posting often causes this sort of problem, especially when the
original message was not cross-posted)
--
Paul Terry