Old January 29th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Adverse weather effecting tubes

In article , Boltar
writes
"Anon" wrote in message
I can not comment about this particular experience but if a member of staff
asks you to leave the station then you should without fuss. Any questions
you have should be addressed when you are outside. The fact that they have
to threaten police action is sad. These people who refuse to leave
compromise the safety of the staff and other customers.

********. Lets face it , LU staff always take the easy way out. Instead of
getting off their backsides and sweeping the platform its easier for them to
just boot everyone out and go have a cup of tea.

B2003

You assume that LU staff are issued with brushes and that they are
permitted to do that function. Many staff would take further action -
most believe passionately about the railway, but the risk of getting
sacked for a breach of H&S or causing an accident puts them off so they
stick to the book.

Yes there are staff who are lazy *******s and good for nothing in LU,
but there are in any company.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old January 29th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Adverse weather affecting tubes

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Richard J.
writes

I don't think you're living in the real world. Consider this: I'm
waiting on Farringdon station for a Met train home after a hard day
at work. It's cold and snowing. I have a valid ticket which has
opened the barrier to let me get to the platform. Suddenly station
staff tell me to leave the station without a proper explanation.
Are you seriously suggesting I should meekly trudge along the
platform, up the stairs and into the street before questioning this?

Yes. You're on private property. If you are asked to leave then you
leave.

So if you're in a restaurant quietly waiting for your dinner to arrive at
your table, and a waiter asked you to leave, you'd just leave, and ask
questions when you were outside?

--
Richard J.

Old January 29th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Anon wrote: [top posting corrected]
"Dave Bisping" wrote in message
93.157...
Faringdon station closed tonight at around 6:30 due to 'safety'
reasons, it was hard to hear this over the speakers but it seems
this was because there was some snow on the end of the platforms,
trains were non- stopping,

Very rude station staff trying to get people,of the platforms
including threating to call the police to remove disgruntled
passengers and physically pushing people (who as usual were give no
proper explanation)

I can not comment about this particular experience but if a member
of staff asks you to leave the station then you should without
fuss. Any questions you have should be addressed when you are
outside.

I don't think you're living in the real world. Consider this: I'm
waiting on Farringdon station for a Met train home after a hard day
at work. It's cold and snowing. I have a valid ticket which has
opened the barrier to let me get to the platform. Suddenly station
staff tell me to leave the station without a proper explanation.
Are you seriously suggesting I should meekly trudge along the
platform, up the stairs and into the street before questioning this?

If indeed it was "some snow on the end of the platform" that caused
the station to be closed, the travelling public deserves an
explanation of why it was too dangerous at Farringdon, but OK at
virtually all suburban above-ground platforms, which of course have
far more of their platforms uncovered than Farringdon.

I am not saying you do not need an explanation. What I am saying is
that if staff are to effectively evacuate a station then having to
justify this with every individual before they leave would take a
very long time and therefore increasing the risk of injury.

Which is why the explanation is essential if it's not already obvious. My
point was that in the absence of an explanation, it's unrealistic to expect
people to obey the instruction "without fuss".

What should happen in a perfect situation is audible announcements
should be made letting people know why the station is being closed
and member of staff should be at every exit to answer individual
questions.

I am sure Farringdon suffers like all stations by having there barest
minimum of staff. So would not be able to achieve the perfect
evacuation.

I see your point, but any attempt to evacuate a station because there's a
bit of snow at the end of the platform is never going to be regarded by
passengers as "perfect".

You mention that people were threatened with police action

It wasn't me.

snip
Maybe then you might be more sympathetic towards underground staff
and vent your anger at the ones who hold the purse strings and make
policy.

Again, that was Dave Bisping who criticised the staff, not the person (me)
whose post you were replying to. If you followed uk.* usenet convention in
not top-posting (which I have corrected *again*), you might avoid that
confusion.

I agree that it's very often the management rather than the front-line
staff who need to address the problems that get raised here.
--
Richard J.

Old January 30th 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote:

In article , Richard J.
writes

So if you're in a restaurant quietly waiting for your dinner to arrive at
your table, and a waiter asked you to leave, you'd just leave, and ask
questions when you were outside?

--

Yes.

I must remember that for the next u.l.l. meet :-)
Old January 30th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Newt
writes

Andrew P Smith wrote:

In article , Richard J.
writes

So if you're in a restaurant quietly waiting for your dinner to arrive at
your table, and a waiter asked you to leave, you'd just leave, and ask
questions when you were outside?

--

Yes.

I must remember that for the next u.l.l. meet :-)

Before or after I get my mobile phone out? :-))))
Old January 30th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote:

In article , Dave Newt
writes

Andrew P Smith wrote:

In article , Richard J.
writes

So if you're in a restaurant quietly waiting for your dinner to arrive at
your table, and a waiter asked you to leave, you'd just leave, and ask
questions when you were outside?

--
Yes.

I must remember that for the next u.l.l. meet :-)

Before or after I get my mobile phone out? :-))))

Oh, just after you arrive you be ideal!
Old January 30th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Newt
writes

Andrew P Smith wrote:

In article , Dave Newt
writes

Andrew P Smith wrote:

In article , Richard J.
writes

So if you're in a restaurant quietly waiting for your dinner to arrive at
your table, and a waiter asked you to leave, you'd just leave, and ask
questions when you were outside?

--
Yes.

I must remember that for the next u.l.l. meet :-)

Before or after I get my mobile phone out? :-))))

Oh, just after you arrive you be ideal!

B'stard!!!!!! ::-)))))
Old February 1st 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anon" wrote in
:

I am not saying you do not need an explanation. What I am saying is
that if staff are to effectively evacuate a station then having to
justify this with every individual before they leave would take a very
long time and therefore increasing the risk of injury.
What should happen in a perfect situation is audible announcements
should be made letting people know why the station is being closed and
member of staff should be at every exit to answer individual
questions.

I am sure Farringdon suffers like all stations by having there barest
minimum of staff. So would not be able to achieve the perfect
evacuation.

Fair number of stuff, none really interested in dealing politely with the
incident.

You mention that people were threatened with police action which would
indicate to me they were being very unreasonable. Personally I would
be polite for a couple of requests then mention the police and leave
these people where they stand. I have no interest in risking my own
life.

Why ?, define unresonable, personally sitting on a platform for 30mins
with no infomation where the next train was, and then being told in no
uncertain terms to get off the station. Personally I get more than a
little Miffed at this.

Finally I think I do live in the real world. Maybe if you started work
at 05.00 in the morning. Having to walk there because there is no
transport available at that time. Spending your whole day standing in
the cold and being verbally abused for situations you have no control
over. Then when you try and consider the safety of your fellow man
being given even more abuse. Maybe then you might be more sympathetic
towards underground staff and vent your anger at the ones who hold the
purse strings and make policy. Obviously you wont see them anywhere
near the chaos they have suits and live in offices and seldom ever let
people know who they are.

Unfornatly they are the ones at the 'cutting edge', agreed they get abuse
but I'm sorry they themselves do no faviours with the way they treat
passengers

Dave...