Old May 5th 14, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default strike suspended

I meant using a contactless payment card (because most banks aren't
issuing them)

Ah, yes. My misreading. Sorry.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old May 5th 14, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 May 2014 22:48:55 +0200, "tim....."
wrote:

I accept that the majority of Germans will happily buy their tickets from a
machine

Well, they've had years of practice in most German systems! Try
finding a human in the U-Bahn.

Richard.
Old May 6th 14, 07:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:39:21 on Mon, 5 May
2014, tim..... remarked:
They must have some idea of the consequences of closing the ticket offices
they have already closed, surely?

They must. But the rational for this full closure is the expected use
of PayWave, and they can't have any idea if this will become the
alternative of choice because it isn't available yet

Isn't that several months late now? (I know it's available on buses and
to a small number of tube trialists, but the rollout was originally
intended to be in 'early 2014' I thought. Maybe they are waiting for all
the Barclays OnePulse to be flushed out of the system (potential 100%
card clash), which is 30th June.

Old May 6th 14, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I think the simple point to make is that yes people can and do cope with
machines. Nonetheless people will often baulk at using them without some
initial help and explanation. There will always be some people who prefer
face to face contact where someone else provides the service. LU's plans
take that element of service away for most transactions - we don't know
what tasks will be done by staff signing on to normally passenger operated
machines. Of course when a staff member is signed on to a POM it is not
available for use by other customers. Many stations only have 1 of the
wider machines that take coins, notes and cards with the big touch screen
displays. If that's signed on by a staff member then a queue could
develop quite quickly.

The only POMs that a member of staff can currently sign on to is the AFM;
the others need a hardware update before they can cope.

The CSA can currently resolve the last unresolved journey, cancel an
entry-exit (if someone leaves the system), add certain cards to the Oyster
(Bus-Tram pass, Jobseeker) and set the registered flag for a previously
registered card. I understand more options are to follow but all other
matters are to be referred to the Oyster helpline (at least on an 03xx
number now)

This isn't TfF's staff forum, can we have a translation please

tim

Old May 6th 14, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(tim.....) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,

(tim.....) wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 May 2014 13:05:01 -0500,

wrote:

There's clearly been a shed load of propaganda from both sides and I
don't think the public have been given the full facts.

I doubt that the normal travelling public cares

They will however care if they have to queue up for an extended
period at a machine to make a simple transaction because there is a
shed load of people in front of them struggling to complete their
transaction, because the don't know what to do and there isn't enough
staff on hand to help.

I thought the point was to redeploy staff in ticket hall areas and that
one of their activities would be to help in cases like this?

Whatever TfL says there's not going to be one helper per ticket machine

Why would there need to be? The numbers needing advice could well be less
than the numbers previously queueing at ticket offices.

This is why I am an interested party, as an occasional user of the
system I normally top up my oyster at a machine and I don't want to
have to queue up behind a coach load of technophobes!

If you need to visit a ticket office now you already have that
opportunity.

I think you misunderstand

I currently use the machine because all the numpties are in the queue
for the manned counter(s)

If there's no manned counter, I'm going to be behind the numpties

Your experience of numpties is different from mine then. IME SOD's law is
that they are always in the one queue I /have/ to join.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 6th 14, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:56:56 on Tue, 6 May
2014, tim..... remarked:

Whatever TfL says there's not going to be one helper per ticket machine

Agreed. Maybe one per station (or two at really busy stations).

I currently use the machine because all the numpties are in the queue
for the manned counter(s)

There are plenty of numpties using (FSVO) the machines.