Old November 7th 14, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

On 07/11/2014 11:19, Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
I wonder why some trains change at Farringdon then?

Dunno. Maybe they are expected to keep up to speed with changes at both
stations?

The plan in the TL2000 documents was to do all changeovers at City
instead of Farringdon, because the dual-electrified sidings at City can
be used to get trains with pantographs stuck up or down out of the way
of the other trains. Farringdon of course used to have the
dual-electrified Moorgate Branch as a place to hide trains with stuck
pantographs, but lost that when the platforms were extended over the
junction (which I presume has happened by now), so I'd be very surprised
if any trains were still changing power at Farringdon.

You haven't been to see Farringdon lately, Joh... I mean Mr, er, Jet -
well you must. Interesting changes.
Old November 7th 14, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2014\11\07 10:16, Recliner wrote:
wrote:

I wonder why some trains change at Farringdon then?

Dunno. Maybe they are expected to keep up to speed with changes at both
stations?

The plan in the TL2000 documents was to do all changeovers at City
instead of Farringdon, because the dual-electrified sidings at City can
be used to get trains with pantographs stuck up or down out of the way of
the other trains. Farringdon of course used to have the dual-electrified
Moorgate Branch as a place to hide trains with stuck pantographs, but
lost that when the platforms were extended over the junction (which I
presume has happened by now), so I'd be very surprised if any trains were
still changing power at Farringdon.

The Moorgate City Widened line closed almost five years ago!
Old November 7th 14, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I wonder why some trains change at Farringdon then?

Dunno. Maybe they are expected to keep up to speed with changes at both
stations?

The plan in the TL2000 documents was to do all changeovers at City
instead of Farringdon, because the dual-electrified sidings at City can
be used to get trains with pantographs stuck up or down out of the way of
the other trains. Farringdon of course used to have the dual-electrified
Moorgate Branch as a place to hide trains with stuck pantographs, but
lost that when the platforms were extended over the junction (which I
presume has happened by now), so I'd be very surprised if any trains were
still changing power at Farringdon.

The Moorgate City Widened line closed almost five years ago!

The line closed, yes, but I'm not sure exactly when the Farringdon
platforms were extended over the tracks. I've used the Underground very
rarely in the last 10 years.
Old November 7th 14, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

The junction was removed immediately, and the lengthened platforms have
been in use for most of those five years.

Old November 7th 14, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/11/2014 13:55, Recliner wrote:

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]
[...]

It's not been as long as that - the extended platforms opened winter of
2011-2012 I think, so coming up to three years.
Old November 8th 14, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:19:53 +0000, Basil Jet
wrote:

The plan in the TL2000 documents was to do all changeovers at City
instead of Farringdon, because the dual-electrified sidings at City can
be used to get trains with pantographs stuck up or down out of the way
of the other trains. Farringdon of course used to have the
dual-electrified Moorgate Branch as a place to hide trains with stuck
pantographs, but lost that when the platforms were extended over the
junction (which I presume has happened by now), so I'd be very surprised
if any trains were still changing power at Farringdon.

It certainly has happened! Odd to stand on a part of platform that
used to be an open-air junction.

And as mentioned elsewhere on the thread, the changeover can/does
happen at Farringdon, and that's OK, because the wires extend to City,
so there is still access to the sidings.

Richard.