Old November 11th 14, 05:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mastercard's "Fare Free Friday" for contactless travel - 14 & 28 Nov

In message , at 21:05:13 on Mon, 10 Nov
2014, Mizter T remarked:
a refund

to a maximum value of £9.80.

So that's roughly zone 2 peak, zone 6 off-peak. Or one or two zones if
you avoid the central area.

The first sentence I understand - you're alluding to the peak zones 1&2
cap, and the off-peak zones 1-6 cap.

But the second sentence I can't decipher - these days there are no
daily caps that exclude zone 1 (used to be, and sadly missed, but
that's another story).

I was taking it off a pdf I googled from the TfL site (I can never
navigate that site to a price-list, they seem to keep it well hidden).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms...o-adult-fares-
jan-2014.pdf

And that shows (eg) an off-peak price cap of £8.50 for Z5-6 on the top
line of page 2. It's also populated with the £21.80 figure (for zonal
combinations not including Z1).
Old November 11th 14, 05:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mastercard's "Fare Free Friday" for contactless travel - 14 & 28

In message , at 21:14:27 on Mon, 10 Nov
2014, Mizter T remarked:
Oh, woe is me too! I have an HSBC credit which used to be Mastercard but
they switched me to Visa. Bother!

Worth looking at MikeS's post in this thread - there's a maximum £9.80
refund on offer, so it's a "Fare Free Friday" only up to a certain
point (or rather fare).

Visa Europe seems to have offered a pretty unbeatable deal to banks for
debit cards, as those that offered Maestro (nee Switch) mostly defected
to Visa a few years back - perhaps your credit card change was a result
of the same effect.

My two non-contactless cards which I'd prefer to use for the tube [but
can't] are one each Visa and Mastercard - not my choice, it just
happened like that.

I also have a contactless Mastercard, but am unlikely to be in London on
the Fridays in question.
Old November 11th 14, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms...lt-fares-jan-2
014.pdf

And that shows (eg) an off-peak price cap of £8.50 for Z5-6 on the top
line of page 2. It's also populated with the £21.80 figure (for zonal
combinations not including Z1).

Yes, but £8.50 is also the off-peak price cap for Z1-6!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 11th 14, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
05:41:25 on Tue, 11 Nov 2014,

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms...ult-fares-jan-

2014.pdf

And that shows (eg) an off-peak price cap of £8.50 for Z5-6 on the top
line of page 2. It's also populated with the £21.80 figure (for zonal
combinations not including Z1).

Yes, but £8.50 is also the off-peak price cap for Z1-6!

I see what you mean. That's a bit underhand of them.

Meanwhile, where does the £9.80 come from? There's nothing close to
it in the table.

My question too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 26th 14, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news

Did the newspaper jump the gun with the £21.80 figure?

I haven't checked the MSE site, but the £21.80 figure is clearly stated in
Mastercard's T&C for this offer.

http://promotions.mastercard.co.uk/T...iday_Offer.pdf

Regards
Sunil

Old November 26th 14, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
10:42:55 on Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Sunil Sood
remarked:
Did the newspaper jump the gun with the £21.80 figure?

I haven't checked the MSE site, but the £21.80 figure is clearly stated in
Mastercard's T&C for this offer.

http://promotions.mastercard.co.uk/T...iday_Offer.pdf

That's the second "Free Friday".

On the other hand, here it's still got £9.80 for the first one:

http://promotions.mastercard.co.uk/T...d_Contactless_
TfL_Free_Fare_Friday_Full_TCs_07112014.pdf

Assuming neither is a misprint, then perhaps the newspaper read the
second one and didn't check that the first was the same.