Old November 29th 14, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default HEX Ripoff ....

In message
-septemb
er.org, at 09:49:05 on Sat, 29 Nov 2014, Recliner
remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are easier.

Such a shame, then, that everyone is forced to use HEx, and no passengers
are allowed to use other ways of getting to the airport.

I wonder if someone has figures for HEx, HC and Picc loading from Heathrow.
HEx has 4tph, HC has 2tph and the PIcc has at least 12tph in the peaks.

I posted all the numbers about six months ago in a previous thread.

Old November 29th 14, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:59:12 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-septemb
er.org, at 09:49:05 on Sat, 29 Nov 2014, Recliner
remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are easier.

Such a shame, then, that everyone is forced to use HEx, and no passengers
are allowed to use other ways of getting to the airport.

I wonder if someone has figures for HEx, HC and Picc loading from Heathrow.
HEx has 4tph, HC has 2tph and the PIcc has at least 12tph in the peaks.

I posted all the numbers about six months ago in a previous thread.

Yes, I thought you had posted them a while ago, but couldn't remember
when.
Old November 29th 14, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-11-29 09:49:05 +0000, Recliner said:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:15:22 on Fri,
28 Nov 2014, eastender remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are easier.

Such a shame, then, that everyone is forced to use HEx, and no passengers
are allowed to use other ways of getting to the airport.

I wonder if someone has figures for HEx, HC and Picc loading from Heathrow.
HEx has 4tph, HC has 2tph and the PIcc has at least 12tph in the peaks.

Good point - if you just miss a HEx the time advanatge almost disappears.

E.

Old November 29th 14, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-11-29 09:49:05 +0000, Recliner said:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:15:22 on Fri,
28 Nov 2014, eastender remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html
It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are easier.
Such a shame, then, that everyone is forced to use HEx, and no passengers
are allowed to use other ways of getting to the airport.
I wonder if someone has figures for HEx, HC and Picc loading from Heathrow.

HEx has 4tph, HC has 2tph and the PIcc has at least 12tph in the peaks.

Good point - if you just miss a HEx the time advanatge almost disappears.

Though, to be fair, the full Picc service is only available from T123; it's
only half the frequency from T4 and T5. But then, T4 doesn't have a direct
HEx service either, and T5 doesn't get HC. Crossrail will help, but in
time, the Picc will also have a more frequent service.
Old November 29th 14, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28.11.14 12:41, CJB wrote:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ht-MALAGA.html

Southampton to Alderney is probably one of the most expensive flights
per mile at about £250 return.

Old November 29th 14, 09:19 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
On 2014-11-29 08:46:45 +0000, Robin9 said:

I'm always surprised when I see entire families travelling to and from
airports
by public transport.

There are other reasons - for instance, in some areas taxi drivers are
very unreliable, drive dangerously or both. If you make the comparison
with a premium airport car service instead, sometimes the balance may
well tip in favour of public transport, particularly coach or if Family
Railcards are applicable.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
I assume - please correct me if I'm wrong - that you're referring to some

Almost every minicab firm in the London area has at least some drivers who do
not fit the above description. The prudent customer, when booking the cab,
asks that "a nice driver" is allocated to them. If the cab firm is any good, the
controller will understand what the customer is worrying about and will provide
a decent driver.
Old November 30th 14, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-11-29 22:19:01 +0000, Robin9 said:

I assume - please correct me if I'm wrong - that you're referring to
some
minicab drivers.

In London probably yes, and as this is uk.transport.london I should
perhaps have been clearer.

Outside London it is my experience that it is the black cabs that are
generally less reputable. Certainly if anyone is going to try to avoid
charging the correct rate in Milton Keynes late at night it's the black
cabs. The three main minicab operators (the term "minicab" is a London
thing, elsewhere they are referred to as taxis, even if that is
technically incorrect) are generally reputable and well-behaved, though
you do occasionally encounter the odd exception.

Certainly it is the case that there are some really
awful
minicab drivers in London who drive dangerously, are rude and/or
unhelpful,
overcharge and keep neither their cars not themselves clean.

Almost every minicab firm in the London area has at least some drivers
who do
not fit the above description. The prudent customer, when booking the
cab,
asks that "a nice driver" is allocated to them. If the cab firm is any
good, the
controller will understand what the customer is worrying about and will
provide
a decent driver.

That is laughably ridiculous even if it might work. I shouldn't have
to request a driver who complies fully with the law and their contract
with their company regarding fares, nor a clean car in a good state of
repair. Every driver should do that without being asked. If they
don't, they deserve the sack or to be prosecuted, depending on whether
they have breached the law or merely their contract.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old December 1st 14, 09:33 AM
Senior Member

On 2014-11-29 22:19:01 +0000, Robin9 said:

[...]

We're not discussing what should be the case. We're discussing what is the
case; and it is definitely the case that most minicab firms in London are so
concerned to have as many drivers as possible that they ignore other
considerations.

In London it is quite common for customers to request a civilized driver when
booking a car for a non-local journey.
Old December 1st 14, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/12/2014 10:33, Robin9 wrote:
[...]
[...]

Is it? This is a bit of a new concept to me - "don't send me the psycho
please"!
Old December 1st 14, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-12-01 10:33:17 +0000, Robin9 said:

In London it is quite common for customers to request a civilized driver
when
booking a car for a non-local journey.

I don't disbelieve you, I just think it's a joke that it is legal and
accepted for this to be the case.

Neil
--
Neil Williams