Old December 1st 14, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default HEX Ripoff ....

On 29/11/2014 10:32, Roland Perry wrote:

Robin9 remarked:
Roland Perry;145904 Wrote:
CJB remarked:-

More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://tinyurl.com/kt2kplh
tickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html-

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

If you're travelling alone. If you share the taxi - and the cost- with
other people, the cost per person is quite reasonable for the
door-to-door convenience.

A taxi can also be cheaper than a week's parking at many airports.

You usually have to be living fairly close to the airport (and certainly
around its nominal names town or city) for that to be the case. I live
over 70m from Heathrow. There is no way that a taxi (both ways) can
compete with parking at the airport. At least, not just in cost.

Old December 1st 14, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JNugent" wrote

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

If you're travelling alone. If you share the taxi - and the cost- with
other people, the cost per person is quite reasonable for the
door-to-door convenience.

A taxi can also be cheaper than a week's parking at many airports.

You usually have to be living fairly close to the airport (and certainly

around its nominal names town or city) for that to be the case. I live
over 70m from Heathrow. There is no way that a taxi (both ways) can
compete with parking at the airport. At least, not just in cost.

Perhaps we need a optimiser ?

Cheap parking at the airport often needs an extra car to shuttle bus
interchange.

So near-to-airport parking plus taxi is worth pricing as is long-term hotel
parking included in the overnight rate.

And does anyone offer a valet to drive your car from hotel to airport when
you leave and park it afterwards ?

-- --
Mike D

Old December 2nd 14, 06:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , "
wrote:
On 28.11.14 12:41, CJB wrote:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

Southampton to Alderney is probably one of the most expensive flights
per mile at about £250 return.

Does WRY to PPW still operate? That might well be the record price.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old December 2nd 14, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:26:33 on Mon, 1 Dec
2014, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:
A taxi can also be cheaper than a week's parking at many airports.

You usually have to be living fairly close to the airport (and
certainly around its nominal names town or city) for that to be the
case. I live over 70m from Heathrow. There is no way that a taxi (both
ways) can compete with parking at the airport. At least, not just in cost.

There's obviously going to be a break-even point, although 140m in a car
is going to cost £30 on top of the parking, just counting marginal
costs.

I looked up long stay parking at Heathrow just now, and it's £145 a
week, with an "offer" of £77 at the moment.

When I used to fly from Birmingham it was 50m each way and a taxi was
cheaper than a week in their mid-stay car park. And of course the car
was available for other people to use at home, while I was away. The
other solution is for them to give you a lift to the airport, if they
have the odd three hours to spare, twice.

Old December 2nd 14, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02.12.14 7:02, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In message , "
wrote:
On 28.11.14 12:41, CJB wrote:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

Southampton to Alderney is probably one of the most expensive flights
per mile at about £250 return.

Does WRY to PPW still operate? That might well be the record price.

Yes, it does, though I don't know the price.

Old December 2nd 14, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 11:33:17AM +0100, Robin9 wrote:

In London it is quite common for customers to request a civilized driver
when booking a car for a non-local journey.

If it were common I think I would have heard of it at least once in the
last nearly twenty years.

I haven't.

I've heard of cab firms getting requests for drivers of particular
races, but that is of course not the same as requesting a driver who
knows how to drive and keeps his car clean.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Human Rights left unattended may be removed,
destroyed, or damaged by the security services.
Old December 2nd 14, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 28.11.14 12:41, CJB wrote:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

Southampton to Alderney is probably one of the most expensive flights
per mile at about £250 return.

Does WRY to PPW still operate? That might well be the record price.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ticket price from WRY to PPW is much
different for locals than for outsiders -- mostly people looking to say
that they did the world's shortest flight.

I know that residents of Alderney pay a much lower fare to travel by air
to Guernsey than non-residents do. The same also applies for flights
between St. Pierre and Miquelon.

IIRC, the ferry from St. Peter Port to Sark also had a double fare
structure.

Old December 2nd 14, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 28.11.14 12:41, CJB wrote:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

Southampton to Alderney is probably one of the most expensive flights
per mile at about £250 return.

Does WRY to PPW still operate? That might well be the record price.

Yes, GBP17 one way:
http://www.loganair.co.uk/xtra_files/OrkneyFares.pdf

It wouldn't surprise me if the ticket price from WRY to PPW is much
different for locals than for outsiders -- mostly people looking to say
that they did the world's shortest flight.

There's an Island Saver discounted return fare to Kirkwall originating in the North
Isles, which you don't get if you do it the other way return. Though the
Excursion fare (stay at least one night) is decent value for originating
there.

Theo
Old December 2nd 14, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/12/2014 20:26, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
"JNugent" wrote

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

If you're travelling alone. If you share the taxi - and the cost-
with other people, the cost per person is quite reasonable for the
door-to-door convenience.

A taxi can also be cheaper than a week's parking at many airports.

You usually have to be living fairly close to the airport (and certainly

around its nominal names town or city) for that to be the case. I live
over 70m from Heathrow. There is no way that a taxi (both ways) can
compete with parking at the airport. At least, not just in cost.

Perhaps we need a optimiser ?

Cheap parking at the airport often needs an extra car to shuttle bus
interchange.

That (the bus) is always provided at major airport car-parks.

So near-to-airport parking plus taxi is worth pricing as is long-term
hotel parking included in the overnight rate.

Not necessary.

And does anyone offer a valet to drive your car from hotel to airport
when you leave and park it afterwards ?

The place I use offers that as an extra service, at an extra charge.