Old March 4th 16, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More Boris buses ordered

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:48:57 +0000 (UTC),
d wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 17:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:27:16 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

Will you get to see bendy buses on the streets of London again?

Doubtful and to be honest it's not important.
[...]
We need to get away from an obsession with vehicle types or some
aspect of them and concentrate on adding capacity where it is needed,

The environmental aspect is pretty important! Wouldn't running bendies
generate less polution for the same passenger capacity than using
double-deckers?

Why?

When both are full theres a greater number of passengers per unit mass of
the vehicle on a bendy. Hence more efficient.

Is that so? What data did you base that on?

I'm not an expert, but what I can see says that there's hardly any
difference. I calculate that a fully loaded Scania double-decker
carries about 8.6 pax per tonne of kerb weight, and a Mercedes Citaro
Bendy carries about 8.8. Do you have better figures?

That's too small to have any measurable difference on emissions. And
that's before you add in the emissions from Citaro spontaneous
combustion...

Yes, I'd forgotten what incredible lard-butts the bendies are. There must be
much to be said for bring back RMLs. They carry about 9.2 pax per tonne of
kerb weight.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old March 5th 16, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I wonder how well an RML would fare if it had to have a hybrid low
emissions engine, power sliding doors at the back, low floor access, radio,
CCTV cameras, air cooling, Oyster readers, and all the other requirements
for a modern bus?
Old March 5th 16, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-03-04 18:27:10 +0000, Peter Smyth said:

That depends how you define "fair". You could equally say that it is
unfair that a journey of a few stops would cost the same as a a three
bus journey from one side of London to the other.

In that case, bring in zones on buses (though you'd need to touch out
as you do in the Netherlands), or bring in a system like the Dutch one
based on a flat "starting fee" plus a kilometric fee.

All of those options are fairer than penalising someone because TfL
doesn't provide them a direct service, then penalising them again by
making them pay twice.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old March 6th 16, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi all,

As we are speaking about fares here, I am going to go slightly off-topic
and ask about Contactless.

AIUI, Contactless is capped by the day and week, regardless of whether
one has registered their card or not. I notice when looking at my
financials, however, that I am paying above what I would normally pay
when travelling from home (in London) to Zone 1 on a weekly.

Thus, why is my card not capping the way it should?