Old June 13th 16, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Khan fares u-turn

On 2016\06\13 18:53, e27002 aurora wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 12:15:42 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2016\06\13 10:07, solar penguin wrote:
On Monday, 13 June 2016 08:59:16 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:

e27002 wrote:

It was deceptive to say the least. One wonders how long it will take
Borough of Croydon, and the Royal Borough Kingston-Upon-Thames to realize
that they would be better off as unitary authorities outwith the GLA monolith.

Yes, I'm sure that losing their Freedom Passes would be really popular
among the residents of those boroughs! No doubt, higher tram fares would
also raise a cheer. But I wonder why you cite Croydon, which does have TfL
services, rather than Bromley and Bexley, which don't?

Just to be pedantic: Bromley has TfL London Overground services from
3 stations in the borough.

All boroughs have TfL railways to Central London except

* Sutton, which has trams
* Kingston, which has nothing
* Bexley, which is getting Crossrail at Abbey Wood soon

So the Royal Borough benefits very little from the council taxes and
business rates it contributes to the GLA. A bit like the UK in the EU
really. :-)

Although Crossrail 2 is currently planned to serve EVERY station on the
four railway lines in LB Kingston.

Old June 14th 16, 05:02 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I didn't hear that programme, but I wish I had because I find
it totally incredible that we "benefit" 10 times what we pay in.
Gross distortion and exaggeration is not unique to the Leave
campaigners. Nor is gullibility unique to those who wish to leave.
Old June 14th 16, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

e27002 wrote:

[...]

More Brexit lies I see. The UK benefits about 10 times what it pays in to
the EU.

On the assumption that the "trade" benefits of the EU aren't lost if we
leave - a bloody big assumption (that is almost certainly incorrect)

Or weren't you listening to Radio 4 at noon today?

No

tim

Old June 14th 16, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 13/06/2016 12:15, Basil Jet wrote:
* Sutton, which has trams

Strictly speaking true, but not that useful unless you want to go one
stop from Beddington Lane to Therapia Lane.

That's silly. It's like claiming that the northern line isn't that
useful for Merton residents as you can only travel between Colliers
Wood, South Wimbledon, and Mordon.

The benefit that the Northern Line brings to Merton is that enables
some Merton residents to leave Merton; likewise the tram and Sutton.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Mike Bristow

Old June 14th 16, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message

e27002 wrote:

[...]

Getting further away from the world's largest single market isn't going to
help trade. It's going to hinder it. Suicidal.

Or weren't you listening to Radio 4 at noon today?

No

Available on the Radio 4 web site. Next episode today at noon.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 14th 16, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kahn fares u-turn

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

;156183 Wrote:
In article
,
-

-

wrote:

[...]

to the EU. Or weren't you listening to Radio 4 at noon today?

I didn't hear that programme, but I wish I had because I find
it totally incredible that we "benefit" 10 times what we pay in.
Gross distortion and exaggeration is not unique to the Leave
campaigners. Nor is gullibility unique to those who wish to leave.

"We benefit" means the country's gross product benefits (as I said) but we
get a big share of that. Remember that more trade equals more money going
round of which we all get some, even if not as fair shares as many would
like.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old June 14th 16, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

;156183 Wrote:
In article
,
-

-

wrote:

[...]

I agree with you, but please can we try and keep this as a referendum-free
zone? There seems little new to say, but it still fills the TV and the
newspapers.

I'm utterly sick of stories about it, and just wish it was all over.
Probably like nearly everyone here, I made up my mind long ago; I suspect
that no-one will have their opinions changed by what they read here.
Indeed, I voted by post weeks ago, so it would be irrelevant anyway.

Old June 14th 16, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message
In article ,
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 13/06/2016 12:15, Basil Jet wrote:
* Sutton, which has trams

Strictly speaking true, but not that useful unless you want to go one
stop from Beddington Lane to Therapia Lane.

That's silly. It's like claiming that the northern line isn't that
useful for Merton residents as you can only travel between Colliers
Wood, South Wimbledon, and Mordon.

The benefit that the Northern Line brings to Merton is that enables
some Merton residents to leave Merton; likewise the tram and Sutton.

The point is that Morden (S. Wimbledon and Wimbledon) are situated in the
centre of Merton borough

The trams line simply skirts the boundary of Sutton and is unless to the 98%
of the borough residents who aren't within walking distance

tim

Old June 14th 16, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

;156183 Wrote:
In article
,
-

-

wrote:

[...]

And I see you ignored my last comment so I make it again

The idea that we would lose all of that trade if we left the EU is simply
preposterous

tim