Old September 16th 16, 06:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 55 Broadway

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:44:37 on Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I also assume they won't get any basement car parking.

Unless they own a train.

I wonder how that will go down? I assume the sort of person who pays
millions for a flat prefers car parking to direct access to the
District line.

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

Old September 16th 16, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:44:37 on Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I also assume they won't get any basement car parking.

Unless they own a train.

I wonder how that will go down? I assume the sort of person who pays
millions for a flat prefers car parking to direct access to the
District line.

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

Less than one space per apartment is rather more generous than zero spaces
per apartment.

Old September 16th 16, 08:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16/09/16 07:09, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:44:37 on Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I also assume they won't get any basement car parking.

Unless they own a train.

I wonder how that will go down? I assume the sort of person who pays
millions for a flat prefers car parking to direct access to the
District line.

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

In a lot of places it seems to be a condition of planning to allocate 1
space per property.

I do not know why we don't do what the Chinese do - new block of flats
(even if 3 storeys) gets underground car parking.

Not only, but in one block I visited, each allocated space was actually
a garage with roller shutter door. Very sensible.
Old September 16th 16, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Tim Watts) wrote:

[...]

The point Roland was making was that many urban developments have fewer than
one parking space per flat, in many cases far fewer than 1. It's many years
since the maximum parking for developments in central Cambridge was set at 1
space per dwelling.

I can't think of a more sustainable location for people to live without a
car than 55 Broadway. Cycle parking could be an issue though, especially as
the basement space isn't available.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 16th 16, 09:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 07:09:02 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:44:37 on Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:

I also assume they won't get any basement car parking.

Unless they own a train.

I wonder how that will go down? I assume the sort of person who pays
millions for a flat prefers car parking to direct access to the
District line.

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

Wow!

We're looking for another house, (to replace the two we currently own)
with a double garage as a minimum requirement, but a triple would be
better.

(We realizethatwe don't "need" three cars between us, but it's nice to
have a choice............)

DC

---

Old September 16th 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 07:57:46 on Fri, 16 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I also assume they won't get any basement car parking.

Unless they own a train.

I wonder how that will go down? I assume the sort of person who pays
millions for a flat prefers car parking to direct access to the
District line.

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

Less than one space per apartment is rather more generous than zero spaces
per apartment.

Yes, but of the (say) 20/50 apartments without a space, they aren't
fighting for the ones which do, they simply aren't allowed to park
there.

And if you can find 20 people like that, you can find 200.
Old September 16th 16, 12:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:15:10 on
Fri, 16 Sep 2016, Tim Watts remarked:

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

In a lot of places it seems to be a condition of planning to allocate 1
space per property.

In congested places, a *maximum* of one.

I do not know why we don't do what the Chinese do - new block of flats
(even if 3 storeys) gets underground car parking.

Because councillors are convinced that providing parking encourages
traffic, and they've got more of the latter than they can cope with,
already.
Old September 16th 16, 12:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:10:57 on
Fri, 16 Sep 2016, David C remarked:

There's not much parking in many new developments these days. For
example the most expensive new flats in Cambridge specifically had less
than one space (which cost extra) per apartment.

Wow!

We're looking for another house, (to replace the two we currently own)
with a double garage as a minimum requirement, but a triple would be
better.

Yes, people's requirements differ. If I had a flat in 55 Broadway I
wouldn't need a car. Living an hour and a half north, I am very
comfortable with two off-street (open air) places; although for half the
time we've lived here we've only had one car, so that's overkill.
There's also sufficient visitor parking.

I do miss having a garage as a shed-substitute, and for days like today
when I'm loading and unloading in the pouring rain, but one can work
around that.