Old September 25th 16, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another one bites the dust

Clive D.W. Feather wrote on 24 Sep 2016 at 23:14 ...
On 22/09/2016 09:30, d wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:06:59 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

Eh?? Was the concord maintenance base in manchester or something?

The Shuttle services were advertised as "turn up by X minutes before
departure and you *will* get a seat". Even if they had to fly an extra
plane for the last passenger. And if a Concorde was the only thing spare
at that moment, a Concorde is what got used.

The standard planes for the route seated 100. If passenger 101 turned up
just before the deadline, they would be offered a serious bribe to wait
an hour for the next flight. I was really annoyed to be passenger 100
the one time I used Shuttle (and wasn't in a hurry).

I was passenger 101 once at Manchester, but one passenger failed to
board the first flight, so I was allocated his seat. It was near the
back of the plane, and I had the uncomfortable experience of 99
passengers glaring at me, thinking I was the late ******* who'd kept
them all waiting.

--
Richard J.

---

Old September 25th 16, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24/09/2016 23:28, Recliner wrote:
Actually, Heathrow on the return (on Monday) was just as bad. After
waiting at the carousel for over half an hour they announced that the
plane door had jammed and bags were only starting to come off. That was
a lie, since I'd seen lots of bags with my flight number already.

It might have been true: there are both forward and aft baggage holds. It's
perfectly possible that one might have had a jammed door. Indeed, it's much
more likely that one, rather than both, might have a problem.

Then "some bags have been delayed as a result" would have been the
truth. "The bags are only starting to come off" was a lie.

Old September 26th 16, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 23:14:46 on Sun, 25 Sep
2016, Clive D.W. Feather remarked:
Actually, Heathrow on the return (on Monday) was just as bad. After
waiting at the carousel for over half an hour they announced that the
plane door had jammed and bags were only starting to come off. That was
a lie, since I'd seen lots of bags with my flight number already.

It might have been true: there are both forward and aft baggage holds. It's
perfectly possible that one might have had a jammed door. Indeed, it's much
more likely that one, rather than both, might have a problem.

Then "some bags have been delayed as a result" would have been the
truth. "The bags are only starting to come off" was a lie.

Alternatively "the bags for you people stood there waiting, are only
starting to come of". The people whose bags weren't stuck behind the
door were miles away by then, and therefore the announcement wouldn't
have been directed at them.
Old September 26th 16, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-23 17:15:11 +0000, Mizter T said:

I went through security at Stansted this summer without waiting - I was
past security within five minutes of having got off the coach.

I did and waited over 45 minutes, like usual. Luton can be as bad but
at least if you're in a hurry there is the facility to pay for
fast-track.

Things don't stand still.

No, but they do vary, and I have never had to wait that long at LHR
that I can remember.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 26th 16, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-24 22:10:59 +0000, Clive D.W. Feather said:

Actually, Heathrow on the return (on Monday) was just as bad. After
waiting at the carousel for over half an hour they announced that the
plane door had jammed and bags were only starting to come off. That was
a lie, since I'd seen lots of bags with my flight number already.

Many planes have more than one baggage hold, so that is entirely possible.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 28th 16, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-23 17:15:11 +0000, Mizter T said:

I went through security at Stansted this summer without waiting - I
was past security within five minutes of having got off the coach.

I did and waited over 45 minutes, like usual. Luton can be as bad but
at least if you're in a hurry there is the facility to pay for fast-track.

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

Old September 28th 16, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:07:41 on Wed, 28 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:
I went through security at Stansted this summer without waiting - I
was past security within five minutes of having got off the coach.

I did and waited over 45 minutes, like usual. Luton can be as bad but
at least if you're in a hurry there is the facility to pay for fast-track.

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

That talks about booking it - is it also available on the day (for
example if your train was late).
Old September 28th 16, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/09/2016 09:13, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 09:07:41 on Wed, 28 Sep
2016, Mizter T remarked:
I went through security at Stansted this summer without waiting - I
was past security within five minutes of having got off the coach.

I did and waited over 45 minutes, like usual. Luton can be as bad but
at least if you're in a hurry there is the facility to pay for
fast-track.

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

That talks about booking it - is it also available on the day (for
example if your train was late).

Yes, though the website doesn't make that clear.

There is a desk where you can pay just before the entrance to the Fast
Track channel.
Old September 28th 16, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 08:07:41 +0000, Mizter T said:

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

When did they introduce that? It certainly isn't as obviously marketed
as at Luton.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 28th 16, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-28 08:07:41 +0000, Mizter T said:

Er, as there is at Stansted. (£5)

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-the-airport/security/security-fasttrack/

When did they introduce that? It certainly isn't as obviously marketed as
at Luton.

Having been to Luton 3 times [1] in the past 3 months, I can't agree that it
is obviously marketed there either

tim

[1] 6 times if you count the airside arrivals

Balham: Buried by Time & Dust Offramp London Transport 2 June 5th 14 03:59 PM
Asbestos Dust from Brake Linings CJB London Transport 1 September 17th 09 07:18 AM
Dust? alex_t London Transport 19 December 7th 06 11:40 AM
And another one?? Peter Lawrence London Transport 5 July 21st 05 10:15 PM
Oyster Question (yes, another one!) Ian Jelf London Transport 8 February 27th 05 01:07 PM