Old December 4th 16, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Goes up in flames

On 2016-12-04 17:31:13 +0000, said:

Which incident was that?

There was a fire in an overhead air conditioning unit in a Southern
Electrostar which caused a bit of disruption and did a nice job of
melting the ceiling panels and turning everything black.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old December 4th 16, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Old December 4th 16, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

Instead, you have a half a tonne of lithium-ion batteries... so much
better than a tank full of petrol!

https://www.rt.com/news/327752-tesla-electric-car-fire/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug...fire_incidents

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10..._battery_fire/

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/samsun...just-ask-nasa/

http://www.techradar.com/news/why-li...ies-catch-fire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37255127

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercoh.../#588a89f21bb2

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-dreamliner/

Old December 5th 16, 01:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

[...]

Not to speak for ion lithium batteries, but I believe that one reason
for the problems on Dreamliners was due to faulty installation, and not
because of the batteries themselves.
Old December 5th 16, 06:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-12-04 19:40:45 +0000, said:

When was that?

About a week ago.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business...form-1-7701719

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old December 5th 16, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:22:22 on Sun, 4 Dec
2016, Neil Williams remarked:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

Vehicle fires are pretty rare, I don't see more than about one a year.

Putting aside the times one is a pedestrian, how many other cars does
one observe while driving the traditional 10k miles a year?
Old December 5th 16, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message , Sun,
4 Dec 2016 17:22:22, Neil Williams
posted:

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

A charged propulsion battery contains a similar amount of energy to what
a full fuel tank does, and is likely to contain flammable substances.
It could easily ignite the contents of the goods/passenger compartments.

Such a battery should be better protected than traditional fuel tanks
are; but perhaps the same could be said of the tanks.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Old December 5th 16, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message , Sun, 4
Dec 2016 17:37:52, Graham Murray posted:

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

What about hydrogen buses, such as the RV1? Hopefully there are very
strong precautions against the fuel catching fire or exploding even in
the case of a serious collision etc.

Hydrogen can only explode chemically if it is mixed with oxidiser before
ignition. Gaseous hydrogen is very much less dense than air, so will
rapidly depart the scene upwards - in which respect it is better than
ordinary liquid fuels. But, unlike the case for hydrocarbons, a
hydrogen flame is not easily visible.

Old December 5th 16, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

[...]

The two go together. The batteries have a habit of over-heating, so
they need to be installed in vented, cooled but fire-proof enclosures.
If the batteries didn't over-heat, the demands on the containers
wouldn't be so stringent.
Old December 5th 16, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 08:15:03 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:22:22 on Sun, 4 Dec
2016, Neil Williams remarked:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

Vehicle fires are pretty rare, I don't see more than about one a year.

Just wait till there are more BEVs on the roads...