Old March 27th 17, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow T5 Transit photos

On 25.03.2017 12:39 PM, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:31:13 on Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Recliner
remarked:
I recall that when the transit first opened, Heathrow Airport claimed
that the "very long" escalators from the main termainal were the
longest in London, longer than the longest LU escalators at Angel.

The escalators in recliner's pictures don't look that long. But I'm
convinced the layout at T5, which extends the idea of making people
travel the maximum distance they'll tolerate to and from gates, is to
allow them to be more leisurely about their baggage handling.

There's less walking in T5 than in most other large terminals, such as LHR
T2, either Gatwick terminal or Madrid Barajas T4.

"You should see the other guy" isn't very persuasive.

Yes it is. I'm comparing it with other very large terminals that I've used
multiple times. Obviously there's less walking in small terminals.

Guangzhou is an excellent place to change flights if you think you may have
been neglecting your marathon training.

Vaguely on topic, the photos you showed looked very similar to the transit
at Munich between the two halves of the Lufthansa terminal. Which also has
very long escalators (which the smart passenger ignores - three little used
lift is much quicker.)

Old March 27th 17, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'd think it's all a pretty generic design -- lots of glass and
stainless steel, and the trains themselves are standard Bombardier design.

Heathrow T5 is an unusually high terminal, so the departure escalators are
particularly long. It's striking that regular travellers, particularly
flight crew, head straight for the lifts, as they're quicker, but if you
have the time, the escalators provide a more dramatic descent into the
earth. The arrivals escalators are much less dramatic.