Old April 5th 17, 06:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woking to Heathrow

In message , at 23:55:35 on Tue, 4 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:
On 2017-04-04 14:46:19 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Cite please.

Cite please that a minicab company *does* arrange insurance?

http://www.acorninsure.co.uk/taxi-in...eet-insurance/

We offer fantastic taxi fleet insurance policies for any fleet
size between 3 and 500 cars and are able to cover a mixed fleet
of both vehicle and driver credentials and experience.

And it's not just for vehicles the operator owns:

We will look more favourably at a taxi fleet policy if the taxi
fleet drivers own their own vehicles and the cover is taken out
for the owner only to driver their vehicle.

The situation with Uber has reportedly brought these policies into
the glare of publicity - covering the hire and reward supplement for
all the drivers/cars when on duty, irrespective of who owns the car.

Uber does not have such a policy in the UK.

Yes, that's the problem.

It does in the US of course.

Why "of course"?

Old April 5th 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Jarle Hammen Knudsen" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 11:21:10 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

if you're paying 200 pounds in excess baggage fee, the cost of the taxi is
immaterial

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

because that's what some airlines charge

And it's about £25 per extra bag with one bag included.

for the first bag, many airlines have a much higher charge for the second
extra bag, typically 60-70 pounds

which (plus the first bag's 25 quid) times 2 is 200 quid (close enough)

tim

Old April 5th 17, 08:32 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 18:59:17 +0100
Mark Goodge wrote:
Disregarding the smiley, when I used to fly to Switzerland regularly
for my work, usually just for two to four days at a time, I found that
travelling in winter made it a lot easier to have everything in
carry-on luggage, as a big coat with lots of pockets can take a
surprising amount of stuff.

I don't fly much, but when I do I get everything in a carry on (since like a
lot of people these days I never go away for more than a week at a time due to
work). Its such a nice feeling breezing past all the poor sods at baggage
collection!

--
Spud

Old April 5th 17, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-04-05 06:02:42 +0000, Roland Perry said:

Why "of course"?

Because it's already been discussed.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old April 5th 17, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:38:24 on Wed, 5 Apr
2017, Neil Williams remarked:

Why "of course"?

Because it's already been discussed.

OK, remind me. Is it some kind of US minicab-law or something else?

Old April 5th 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

if you're paying 200 pounds in excess baggage fee, the cost of the taxi is
immaterial

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

because that's what some airlines charge

And it's about £25 per extra bag with one bag included.

for the first bag, many airlines have a much higher charge for the second
extra bag, typically 60-70 pounds

which (plus the first bag's 25 quid) times 2 is 200 quid (close enough)

You seem to assume that everyone flies on LCCs; some of us prefer, and can
afford, not to.

These are the baggage allowances I normally get:

Carry on:
1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 45 x 36 x 20cm / 18 x 14 x
8in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18
x 10in)

Checked:
2 bags (max. 32kg / 70lb per bag)

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-essentials

Old April 5th 17, 02:11 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:30:29 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

if you're paying 200 pounds in excess baggage fee, the cost of the taxi is
immaterial

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

because that's what some airlines charge

The other conclusion, that the cost of the taxi is immaterial.

--
jhk
Old April 5th 17, 03:10 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

if you're paying 200 pounds in excess baggage fee, the cost of the taxi
is
immaterial

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

because that's what some airlines charge

And it's about £25 per extra bag with one bag included.

for the first bag, many airlines have a much higher charge for the second
extra bag, typically 60-70 pounds

which (plus the first bag's 25 quid) times 2 is 200 quid (close enough)

You seem to assume that everyone flies on LCCs; some of us prefer, and can
afford, not to.

No, even some of the majors charge this

These are the baggage allowances I normally get:

Carry on:
1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 45 x 36 x 20cm / 18 x 14
8in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x
18
x 10in)

Checked:
2 bags (max. 32kg / 70lb per bag)

unless flying to a short list of countries, that will be premium economy
then - so you've paid how much extra for the flight to get this "free" bag?

tim

Old April 5th 17, 03:34 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No, I've never flown BA Premium Economy. I nearly always fly business
class.

Old April 5th 17, 05:52 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 16:10:50 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Huh? Icelandair YVR-KEF-ARN, & OSL-KEF-YVR last August had one
carry-on, one checked included in base cattle class.

A recent Air Canada YVR-SYD, and SCL-YYZ-YVR was the same, including
the domestic sector.